Skip to main content

Getting selective on new members

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I'm well aware that I pretty much register anyone who does a fair job at registering for a Sumea profile, but seeing as we're well over 200 members now, I might have to be a bit more selective on new people.

For starters, I'm not accepting anymore registrants from a free web email provider (Hotmail, Yahoo etc). Privacy shouldn't be an issue because no one sees your email address anyway, and there's zero chance of me selling email addresses to some big spam list.

Must enter your real full name for the real name box. No one will see your real full name except me if you're kinda shy.

Being a bit more belligerent on what registrants write for their profiles. I've stated that you should be writing something decent about yourself in your profile when you register (something more than one sentence), but I've let that pass more than a few times.

I don't wanna sound like a webmaster nazi, but the site really needs these measures to prevent Joe Bob from registering because he thought it was cool for a minute.

I'll also put some cookie code on the registration page so that people can't keep on submitting the same details a million times over as easily. That's something I should have done since the beginning, although I didn't think I'd have to do it in the first place.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/09/03 - 11:29 PM Permalink

Sounds fair enough to me, does that mean all that have registered need to update there profile details or are we safe from your culling. [:P]

Btw what if my name is Joe Bob lol.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Current members should be fine.. and if you're name is Joe Bob, oooooh.. you're just asking for a big red cull button clicking there.. [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:58 AM Permalink

i vote we have a hazing for all new members once a month while we are on the topic....lol

that all sounds fair souri. your the boss :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Just a thought.
If Sumea is getting a bit more traffic now, maybe it would benefit from a couple of moderators instead of just you Souri? That way you can still keep tabs on posts and inforce some type of common understanding of whats allowed and you don't have to do it all.

I know moderation means half ...er most of my posts would be culled though. [:P]

As for hazing...bring on the Stone of Shame.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 02/09/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

The other thing I was wondering about.... What about getting rid of some of the inactive accounts. I am sure an account that hasnt been used in 3 months or 6 months could be removed?

I realise this doesnt have anything much to do with new accounts - just old ones ;)

As for new ones I think its fair. The part of free emails I totally agree with. Free emails can just be ignored or created at a whim.

I think Malus has a good idea about adding a couple of mods. It's something I had been wondering about myself.

If you do need help let me know, Souri. I promise I won't stalk you anymore.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 6:56 AM Permalink

I don't think you'll find much moderation needed, apart from moving a topic once every while. Most of the work I spend on the site is adding news and content..

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

Agreed, i personally don't recall anything that really needed moderating in the time i've been visiting here, othere than as souri mentioned, the occasional misplaced post. (Although Sh-nuff has come close to getting muted a few times :) )
On the subject of free email accounts, they can be useful if you change ISP's often, so you don't have to continually keep changing your details on every single website you've got an account on! However, it makes sense to not allow automatic signups for free emails, i think it should be possible perhaps if they get in contact with you first etc.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I yahoo!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 06/09/03 - 11:13 PM Permalink

HMMM I've got to pull my finger out of my rear and post some more on my profile, I actually have stuff to show for once, I'm just a liitle embarrassed to show people my work.

Submitted by Gazunta on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:09 PM Permalink

Actually how do you change your profile? I'm still listed as a modeller for some reason...haven't fired up Max in well over a year :)

(Now I'm designer / producer)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

hmmmm i understand the argument against free emails but for someone like me who lives in a house with his family who is not a actual game designer but rather a hopefull (which sumea also seems to cater for :D ) and does not have acces to his homes IP account, free emails like hotmail are nescacary.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 06/08/04 - 5:42 AM Permalink

I don't think your nazi enough souri! [:P]

If someone wants to be apart of a community to encourage growth and offer feedback, ideas and oppinions - they should be able to take the time to fill out profiles. Anyone who doesnt,

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

holy hell yes lol, someone brought it back and i thought the posts were recent [:D]

Submitted by matias on Sat, 11/09/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Maybe you could cull accounts that haven't logged on for a while if they have a post count of lower than 50 or 100. Or somehting like that, I know some times I dont actually log on for a while (maybe not like 3 months) but I'd be a bit disappointed if I came back and my account was gone. I mean if someone has posted like 5 times and hasn't logged on in 3-4 months, you cpould be pretty sure they're not to involved.
I also think that the higher standards at the start would be good too. (let me just check which of my emails I used!! [:O])

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 11/09/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

maybe u could also send out n email to those that r eligible for a cut ... if they dont reply stating that they want to keep their account then cull em

Posted by souri on
Forum

I'm well aware that I pretty much register anyone who does a fair job at registering for a Sumea profile, but seeing as we're well over 200 members now, I might have to be a bit more selective on new people.

For starters, I'm not accepting anymore registrants from a free web email provider (Hotmail, Yahoo etc). Privacy shouldn't be an issue because no one sees your email address anyway, and there's zero chance of me selling email addresses to some big spam list.

Must enter your real full name for the real name box. No one will see your real full name except me if you're kinda shy.

Being a bit more belligerent on what registrants write for their profiles. I've stated that you should be writing something decent about yourself in your profile when you register (something more than one sentence), but I've let that pass more than a few times.

I don't wanna sound like a webmaster nazi, but the site really needs these measures to prevent Joe Bob from registering because he thought it was cool for a minute.

I'll also put some cookie code on the registration page so that people can't keep on submitting the same details a million times over as easily. That's something I should have done since the beginning, although I didn't think I'd have to do it in the first place.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/09/03 - 11:29 PM Permalink

Sounds fair enough to me, does that mean all that have registered need to update there profile details or are we safe from your culling. [:P]

Btw what if my name is Joe Bob lol.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Current members should be fine.. and if you're name is Joe Bob, oooooh.. you're just asking for a big red cull button clicking there.. [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:58 AM Permalink

i vote we have a hazing for all new members once a month while we are on the topic....lol

that all sounds fair souri. your the boss :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Just a thought.
If Sumea is getting a bit more traffic now, maybe it would benefit from a couple of moderators instead of just you Souri? That way you can still keep tabs on posts and inforce some type of common understanding of whats allowed and you don't have to do it all.

I know moderation means half ...er most of my posts would be culled though. [:P]

As for hazing...bring on the Stone of Shame.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 02/09/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

The other thing I was wondering about.... What about getting rid of some of the inactive accounts. I am sure an account that hasnt been used in 3 months or 6 months could be removed?

I realise this doesnt have anything much to do with new accounts - just old ones ;)

As for new ones I think its fair. The part of free emails I totally agree with. Free emails can just be ignored or created at a whim.

I think Malus has a good idea about adding a couple of mods. It's something I had been wondering about myself.

If you do need help let me know, Souri. I promise I won't stalk you anymore.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 6:56 AM Permalink

I don't think you'll find much moderation needed, apart from moving a topic once every while. Most of the work I spend on the site is adding news and content..

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

Agreed, i personally don't recall anything that really needed moderating in the time i've been visiting here, othere than as souri mentioned, the occasional misplaced post. (Although Sh-nuff has come close to getting muted a few times :) )
On the subject of free email accounts, they can be useful if you change ISP's often, so you don't have to continually keep changing your details on every single website you've got an account on! However, it makes sense to not allow automatic signups for free emails, i think it should be possible perhaps if they get in contact with you first etc.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I yahoo!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 06/09/03 - 11:13 PM Permalink

HMMM I've got to pull my finger out of my rear and post some more on my profile, I actually have stuff to show for once, I'm just a liitle embarrassed to show people my work.

Submitted by Gazunta on Thu, 05/08/04 - 11:09 PM Permalink

Actually how do you change your profile? I'm still listed as a modeller for some reason...haven't fired up Max in well over a year :)

(Now I'm designer / producer)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

hmmmm i understand the argument against free emails but for someone like me who lives in a house with his family who is not a actual game designer but rather a hopefull (which sumea also seems to cater for :D ) and does not have acces to his homes IP account, free emails like hotmail are nescacary.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 06/08/04 - 5:42 AM Permalink

I don't think your nazi enough souri! [:P]

If someone wants to be apart of a community to encourage growth and offer feedback, ideas and oppinions - they should be able to take the time to fill out profiles. Anyone who doesnt,

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 06/08/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

holy hell yes lol, someone brought it back and i thought the posts were recent [:D]

Submitted by matias on Sat, 11/09/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Maybe you could cull accounts that haven't logged on for a while if they have a post count of lower than 50 or 100. Or somehting like that, I know some times I dont actually log on for a while (maybe not like 3 months) but I'd be a bit disappointed if I came back and my account was gone. I mean if someone has posted like 5 times and hasn't logged on in 3-4 months, you cpould be pretty sure they're not to involved.
I also think that the higher standards at the start would be good too. (let me just check which of my emails I used!! [:O])

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 11/09/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

maybe u could also send out n email to those that r eligible for a cut ... if they dont reply stating that they want to keep their account then cull em