Skip to main content

Sumea supports start ups!!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but just wanted to let Grif and others know that when production begins for the project, Sumea would be very happy to support you guys in terms of a members only private forum for, and a mod section (which I've already made anyway on the site), if you want it.. it'll save you from having to bother with a website and all the content management backend etc when all you want to do is concentrate on the game. I'm planning to go down to Melbourne at the end of the month to meet a potential sponsor, so hopefully that'll work out and I can offer heaps of webspace for files as well..
Anyway, I think start ups definately deserve encouragement. Who knows, you may be the new Beam/Krome/Microforte etc in a few years (all of which were started with a couple of guys) [;)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 2:57 AM Permalink

Oh, and I want to write about my take on Flashback [:)] I absolutely loved that game.
The easiest way you can describe it is as a Prince of Persia clone. Remember that game? It was a 2d platform kind of game where you could use swords, jump, hang off, and climb ledges. Some of the puzzles were very creative (and some infuriating). The same can be said for Flashback. Flashback however had AWESOME art (all the levels and the character animations were drawn beautifully), was set in the future, and you had a gun, and can do rolls. It also had vector animated cut-scenes, which were pretty cool for their time. It also had a very cool story too.
I said it earlier, but Tomb Raider was pretty much Prince of Persia/Flashback in 3D.. Another World was the first in the series, then Flashback. The third one was called Fade to Black, and that was in 3d. Unfortunately it didn't do too well, I think.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

Good luck with sponsor, Souri :)

Need me to "pimp" anything else for you *grin*

"Yes I Code"
As found on AGDC name tag 2002

Submitted by Grif on Tue, 07/01/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Cheers, Souri... that sort of setup sounds like it'll come in handy. =)

As for heading down to Melbourne, hope the sponsorship discussion goes well, and hey, if you have some free time we oughta maybe hook up and play some pool. I'm a Melbourne lad m'self, so if you (or anyone else who's reading this and is going to be in the vicinity, of course) would be up for that be sure to let me know. =) Would be a good chance to have a bit of fun and a good face-to-face rambling discussion about anything and everything. =)

Going back in part to talking about Flashback (he says, going into "jaded gamer" mode), I actually have to admit that I'm liking that idea more and more the more I think about it. In terms of a "first project" it would certainly be probably the most easily doable out of anything that's been suggested thus far, and, moreover, it's so easily accessible in terms of gameplay, theme, and interface. This is me thinking about things from my own "I'm having less and less patience with obtuse gameplay concepts and interfacing these days" perspective, of course... I certainly don't have a problem with being ambitious (Origin are still my all-time favourite development company for their sheer ambition, after all), but it might make for a pretty decent (and relatively quick) "testing ground". Any thoughts? =)

- Grif

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Hmm... how end of the month Souri? Hehe :) We might miss each other in transit. I am in Melbourne now but need to get up to Canberra for school. I don't think I'll be here any later then the 24th of Jan.

Hey Grif I am not so big on pool but I do love my coffee! Might be cool to try and meet up with anyone from Melbourne before I head off.

Besides - always good to know who you are working with even if you don't see them daily (ie mod).

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by Grif on Tue, 07/01/03 - 11:27 AM Permalink

Sounds like a plan, Jacana. =) How about it, Souri? Would that sort of time frame fit in with your visit?

- Grif

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

I think I might miss Jacana.. I'm roughly going down there late January/early February, and that may be pushed a bit later too. So you're going to Canberra, Jacana? That for the AIE studies?? Have you found a place to stay yet? How long's your course going to be?

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 12:07 PM Permalink

Length of course: 2 years unless I can get someone drunk enough to give me a job at the GDC this year
Going for AIE: Yup - fully funded spot
Place to stay: Not yet - I need to start looking

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Grif

Going back in part to talking about Flashback (he says, going into "jaded gamer" mode), I actually have to admit that I'm liking that idea more and more the more I think about it. In terms of a "first project" it would certainly be probably the most easily doable out of anything that's been suggested thus far, and, moreover, it's so easily accessible in terms of gameplay, theme, and interface. This is me thinking about things from my own "I'm having less and less patience with obtuse gameplay concepts and interfacing these days" perspective, of course... I certainly don't have a problem with being ambitious (Origin are still my all-time favourite development company for their sheer ambition, after all), but it might make for a pretty decent (and relatively quick) "testing ground". Any thoughts? =)

A 2d game like Flash back would be very suitable for Gameboy Advance. Speaking of which, I've posted info up on Nocturnal Entertainment's Catapult demo comp.. Now there's a plan! [:)]
http://nocturnal.proboards4.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&…

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Wed, 08/01/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

what course you doing at the AIE?
I'm going there next year (my parents aren't happy about it either, reckon it's a waste of money and also pissed that they have to pay [:D] so they are making me pay everything back, which is fair enough)
I'm doing cert IV animation for games and film
i guess seeing as you say it's 2 years that you are doing the next one up from me?
Anyways i might see you there
what days are you there?

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:59 AM Permalink

I thought Cert IV animation and films led to the diploma? Or do you have to do a year of the diploma in Max first?
Anyway, i'm surprised your parents think it's a waste. Just take them to see LotR and point out all the special effects computer animation to them and tell them what kind of $$ budget that movie had :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 09/01/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Mmm, even by doing that people can think it's a waste of time. My advice Meatex is to absolutely work your arse off the entire time you're there. Cut your social life down hugely and work work work.

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 15/01/03 - 10:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

what days are you there?

I am in Year 1 Diploma of Computer Game Development (Software Development). Not sure what days I am there yet - still trying to find a place before I register.

Can't miss me tho... girl coders red hair american. *shrugs* :)

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by myrddian on Wed, 05/02/03 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Well... I am not sure what you guys are intending to do.... I can help you in one way or the other. At the moment my self I am programming for the PS2 ^_^.. I was PC based working on an Engine.

I can help in coding but that would be taking my time away from PS2 Programming (if the heat is not already) and possibly my own little project.

Any way, I can offer some help, programming/Code (if possible due to IP issues), contacts if you need it, just ask ^_^

I played poker with a Tarot deck the other night. I got a full house and four people died.

--Steven Wright.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 11/02/03 - 11:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I'm planning to go down to Melbourne at the end of the month to meet a potential sponsor, so hopefully that'll work out and I can offer heaps of webspace for files as well..

Hey - have you been down yet? How'd it go? *wants details*

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/5b3d/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38f0/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38ed/

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/02/03 - 12:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jacana

I'm planning to go down to Melbourne at the end of the month to meet a potential sponsor, so hopefully that'll work out and I can offer heaps of webspace for files as well..

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:

No, haven't been down there yet [:(].. my contact person has been out of office until just last week, and I'm sure my email has been lost in a swamp of his other emails. I should email him again to follow it up.

Posted by souri on
Forum

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but just wanted to let Grif and others know that when production begins for the project, Sumea would be very happy to support you guys in terms of a members only private forum for, and a mod section (which I've already made anyway on the site), if you want it.. it'll save you from having to bother with a website and all the content management backend etc when all you want to do is concentrate on the game. I'm planning to go down to Melbourne at the end of the month to meet a potential sponsor, so hopefully that'll work out and I can offer heaps of webspace for files as well..
Anyway, I think start ups definately deserve encouragement. Who knows, you may be the new Beam/Krome/Microforte etc in a few years (all of which were started with a couple of guys) [;)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 2:57 AM Permalink

Oh, and I want to write about my take on Flashback [:)] I absolutely loved that game.
The easiest way you can describe it is as a Prince of Persia clone. Remember that game? It was a 2d platform kind of game where you could use swords, jump, hang off, and climb ledges. Some of the puzzles were very creative (and some infuriating). The same can be said for Flashback. Flashback however had AWESOME art (all the levels and the character animations were drawn beautifully), was set in the future, and you had a gun, and can do rolls. It also had vector animated cut-scenes, which were pretty cool for their time. It also had a very cool story too.
I said it earlier, but Tomb Raider was pretty much Prince of Persia/Flashback in 3D.. Another World was the first in the series, then Flashback. The third one was called Fade to Black, and that was in 3d. Unfortunately it didn't do too well, I think.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

Good luck with sponsor, Souri :)

Need me to "pimp" anything else for you *grin*

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by Grif on Tue, 07/01/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

Cheers, Souri... that sort of setup sounds like it'll come in handy. =)

As for heading down to Melbourne, hope the sponsorship discussion goes well, and hey, if you have some free time we oughta maybe hook up and play some pool. I'm a Melbourne lad m'self, so if you (or anyone else who's reading this and is going to be in the vicinity, of course) would be up for that be sure to let me know. =) Would be a good chance to have a bit of fun and a good face-to-face rambling discussion about anything and everything. =)

- Grif

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Hmm... how end of the month Souri? Hehe :) We might miss each other in transit. I am in Melbourne now but need to get up to Canberra for school. I don't think I'll be here any later then the 24th of Jan.

Hey Grif I am not so big on pool but I do love my coffee! Might be cool to try and meet up with anyone from Melbourne before I head off.

Besides - always good to know who you are working with even if you don't see them daily (ie mod).

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by Grif on Tue, 07/01/03 - 11:27 AM Permalink

Sounds like a plan, Jacana. =) How about it, Souri? Would that sort of time frame fit in with your visit?

- Grif

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

I think I might miss Jacana.. I'm roughly going down there late January/early February, and that may be pushed a bit later too. So you're going to Canberra, Jacana? That for the AIE studies?? Have you found a place to stay yet? How long's your course going to be?

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 07/01/03 - 12:07 PM Permalink

Length of course: 2 years unless I can get someone drunk enough to give me a job at the GDC this year
Going for AIE: Yup - fully funded spot
Place to stay: Not yet - I need to start looking

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Grif

A 2d game like Flash back would be very suitable for Gameboy Advance. Speaking of which, I've posted info up on Nocturnal Entertainment's Catapult demo comp.. Now there's a plan! [:)]
http://nocturnal.proboards4.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&…

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Wed, 08/01/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

I'm going there next year (my parents aren't happy about it either, reckon it's a waste of money and also pissed that they have to pay [:D] so they are making me pay everything back, which is fair enough)
I'm doing cert IV animation for games and film
i guess seeing as you say it's 2 years that you are doing the next one up from me?
Anyways i might see you there
what days are you there?

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:59 AM Permalink

I thought Cert IV animation and films led to the diploma? Or do you have to do a year of the diploma in Max first?
Anyway, i'm surprised your parents think it's a waste. Just take them to see LotR and point out all the special effects computer animation to them and tell them what kind of $$ budget that movie had :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 09/01/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

Mmm, even by doing that people can think it's a waste of time. My advice Meatex is to absolutely work your arse off the entire time you're there. Cut your social life down hugely and work work work.

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 15/01/03 - 10:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

what days are you there?

I am in Year 1 Diploma of Computer Game Development (Software Development). Not sure what days I am there yet - still trying to find a place before I register.

Can't miss me tho... girl coders red hair american. *shrugs* :)

"Yes I Code"

Submitted by myrddian on Wed, 05/02/03 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Well... I am not sure what you guys are intending to do.... I can help you in one way or the other. At the moment my self I am programming for the PS2 ^_^.. I was PC based working on an Engine.

I can help in coding but that would be taking my time away from PS2 Programming (if the heat is not already) and possibly my own little project.

Any way, I can offer some help, programming/Code (if possible due to IP issues), contacts if you need it, just ask ^_^

I played poker with a Tarot deck the other night. I got a full house and four people died.

--Steven Wright.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 11/02/03 - 11:00 AM Permalink

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/02/03 - 12:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jacana

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:

No, haven't been down there yet [:(].. my contact person has been out of office until just last week, and I'm sure my email has been lost in a swamp of his other emails. I should email him again to follow it up.