Skip to main content

Character WIP

Haven't contributed anything to the site for a while so I thought Id show this concept for my fighting game scene that I plan on doing after I've finalised the other character.

Very much a WIP at this stage. Background definitely NOT final - just wanted some contrast.

I've shown the line drawing beside the half finished colour. Not really sure if I'll try to 'real' it up. Crits welcome.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/36_ZodiacL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 08/10/03 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Here's a question:

If you had an idea for something and then saw something else that had already done it, would you continue with it or start again?

Reason being that the backgroung/scene I had in mind for this has been pretty much interpreted the way I wanted to by the Wu Shu background in Mortal Kombat:DA.

Damn.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 08/10/03 - 11:51 PM Permalink

Do it anyway, all thing are unoriginal in their own way, it?s only the nuance of personal interpretation that makes things different. As long as you don?t directly clone the composition, it should be fine.

As for the image, looking good, I would suggest that you add a few personal touches to make the character more distinctive. Some elaborate gold embroidery perhaps, and or a distinctive tattoo, you get the picture.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 09/10/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Nice character.
I think he looks pretty cool as is, maybe a tattoo wouldnt hurt.
I agree with Pants on the background thing as well.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 09/10/03 - 1:57 AM Permalink

nice work jonathon very stylised [:)] i love his sword too ! i wish i can add that to my collection [:)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:58 AM Permalink

Cheers for the comments all.

Pants - the gold embroidery is a good idea. The motifs I will be adding will be either lunar or solar based. The characters name is Zodiac because I envision him as a lead character in a game where the main USP is that the characters powers depend on the internal clock of the system. His skin will light up with constellation (tattoos) under the night sky.

ie - Gemini (late may to late june) could call on the powers of a copycat version of the character for double strike power. So powers for the game played during this period would be based around Gemini.

Likewise - for Pisces, the powers may be water based. Breathe underwater for longer or water based magic strikes etc...

Obviously 12 levels would be there, with a different boss at each end. Depending on which period you play, your powers will be different. This is to encourage replayability of around once a month (which for an action adventure is quite good).

A game clock day/night cycle would be in effect as at nighttime, the characters skin shines with constellation and his colour turns to night blue. This'll be the other version of this character.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Cool piccie and game idea, Jonathan!

I think you might find a few people moving their clocks forward to select
the best powers for each level :) You could always get the game look at
the user's email or web cache to get the approximate real date though ;->

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 09/10/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by CombatWombat

That'd be up to the player I guess.

I suppose there'd be one way to do it that a save game could leave some kind of a code/cookie or something that tells if the internal clock has adjusted for that particular save file. ie - maybe the dd/mm/yy that the game started...

(The sort of people who do that are the same as those who buy the strategy guides before they've played a game or attempted the puzzles. But I believe that players should play the way they want to play, not how WE want to play).

I envision that the game could be finished within a week or so - nothing too long, so that if players dont want to wait until the next month, they don't have to. Mind you, I see this as a console title not a PC one.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 17/10/03 - 5:00 AM Permalink

he looks pretty comfortable in those shoes, or sandles even. i can imagine him coming back from the beach or something. i like it all.

wish i could draw like that.

Haven't contributed anything to the site for a while so I thought Id show this concept for my fighting game scene that I plan on doing after I've finalised the other character.

Very much a WIP at this stage. Background definitely NOT final - just wanted some contrast.

I've shown the line drawing beside the half finished colour. Not really sure if I'll try to 'real' it up. Crits welcome.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/36_ZodiacL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 08/10/03 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Here's a question:

If you had an idea for something and then saw something else that had already done it, would you continue with it or start again?

Reason being that the backgroung/scene I had in mind for this has been pretty much interpreted the way I wanted to by the Wu Shu background in Mortal Kombat:DA.

Damn.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 08/10/03 - 11:51 PM Permalink

Do it anyway, all thing are unoriginal in their own way, it?s only the nuance of personal interpretation that makes things different. As long as you don?t directly clone the composition, it should be fine.

As for the image, looking good, I would suggest that you add a few personal touches to make the character more distinctive. Some elaborate gold embroidery perhaps, and or a distinctive tattoo, you get the picture.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 09/10/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Nice character.
I think he looks pretty cool as is, maybe a tattoo wouldnt hurt.
I agree with Pants on the background thing as well.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 09/10/03 - 1:57 AM Permalink

nice work jonathon very stylised [:)] i love his sword too ! i wish i can add that to my collection [:)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:58 AM Permalink

Cheers for the comments all.

Pants - the gold embroidery is a good idea. The motifs I will be adding will be either lunar or solar based. The characters name is Zodiac because I envision him as a lead character in a game where the main USP is that the characters powers depend on the internal clock of the system. His skin will light up with constellation (tattoos) under the night sky.

ie - Gemini (late may to late june) could call on the powers of a copycat version of the character for double strike power. So powers for the game played during this period would be based around Gemini.

Likewise - for Pisces, the powers may be water based. Breathe underwater for longer or water based magic strikes etc...

Obviously 12 levels would be there, with a different boss at each end. Depending on which period you play, your powers will be different. This is to encourage replayability of around once a month (which for an action adventure is quite good).

A game clock day/night cycle would be in effect as at nighttime, the characters skin shines with constellation and his colour turns to night blue. This'll be the other version of this character.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 09/10/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by CombatWombat

That'd be up to the player I guess.

I suppose there'd be one way to do it that a save game could leave some kind of a code/cookie or something that tells if the internal clock has adjusted for that particular save file. ie - maybe the dd/mm/yy that the game started...

(The sort of people who do that are the same as those who buy the strategy guides before they've played a game or attempted the puzzles. But I believe that players should play the way they want to play, not how WE want to play).

I envision that the game could be finished within a week or so - nothing too long, so that if players dont want to wait until the next month, they don't have to. Mind you, I see this as a console title not a PC one.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 17/10/03 - 5:00 AM Permalink

he looks pretty comfortable in those shoes, or sandles even. i can imagine him coming back from the beach or something. i like it all.

wish i could draw like that.