Skip to main content

Just some sketches

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/sketch/sk06_faye.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/sketch/sk06_mermaid.jpg[/img]

As the thread title says, just a couple of sketches. Been a while since I have done some plain old pencil sketches and one of these days I?ll manage to get my head fully around anime/manga style work, till then I?ll keep on plodding.
Feedback welcome

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:03 AM Permalink

i really like the faye vallentine pic (that may be because i think that she is hot anyways). the only thing that looks a bit odd with it is that her forehead needs to be just a little higher.

the mermaid pic is also quite nice, but the shadows around her mouth and nose are a little odd. her mouth looks like it sticks out in an odd way (like the simpsons).

very nice pics though. the poses are excelent. good work

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:55 AM Permalink

looking awesome pants, I want your drawing skills!

Would like to see the same without the manga eyes.. Just not personally a fan of the style..

Anyhow, nice job

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 09/10/03 - 11:30 PM Permalink

Nice. I would also like to see one not in the style of manga/anime (or whatever its called).

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

ooo. the colouring work is very nice. the only thing that you may want to try is adding in some gradients on some of the angles to soften it a bit. you may be going for the complete solid look though. if so, then it looks very nice.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 14/10/03 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Thanks, yeah I was going for the solid "cell shade" style, hence no gradients.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 16/10/03 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Foreshorting is a difficult thing to do, but I think you have done it pretty well. Maybe the change in the size (in terms of width) of the arm is a little too much, I dunno, just being picky! :)
Nice composition too I reckon.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:15 AM Permalink

damn you good artists .. i do presume youve all been doing this for some time now yes ? cos if any of you are just starting out,.. i sware!! ..

this art is wicked man,.. i really like the cellshaded chick too,.. looks awesome,.. right out of an art book i reckon.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 18/10/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

I like it! The foreshortening is extreme but thats a perfectly reasonable style decision, especially since its partially anime inspired.

Great stuff Pants!

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/sketch/sk06_faye.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/sketch/sk06_mermaid.jpg[/img]

As the thread title says, just a couple of sketches. Been a while since I have done some plain old pencil sketches and one of these days I?ll manage to get my head fully around anime/manga style work, till then I?ll keep on plodding.
Feedback welcome

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:03 AM Permalink

i really like the faye vallentine pic (that may be because i think that she is hot anyways). the only thing that looks a bit odd with it is that her forehead needs to be just a little higher.

the mermaid pic is also quite nice, but the shadows around her mouth and nose are a little odd. her mouth looks like it sticks out in an odd way (like the simpsons).

very nice pics though. the poses are excelent. good work

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:55 AM Permalink

looking awesome pants, I want your drawing skills!

Would like to see the same without the manga eyes.. Just not personally a fan of the style..

Anyhow, nice job

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 09/10/03 - 11:30 PM Permalink

Nice. I would also like to see one not in the style of manga/anime (or whatever its called).

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

ooo. the colouring work is very nice. the only thing that you may want to try is adding in some gradients on some of the angles to soften it a bit. you may be going for the complete solid look though. if so, then it looks very nice.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 14/10/03 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Thanks, yeah I was going for the solid "cell shade" style, hence no gradients.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 16/10/03 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Foreshorting is a difficult thing to do, but I think you have done it pretty well. Maybe the change in the size (in terms of width) of the arm is a little too much, I dunno, just being picky! :)
Nice composition too I reckon.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 17/10/03 - 12:15 AM Permalink

damn you good artists .. i do presume youve all been doing this for some time now yes ? cos if any of you are just starting out,.. i sware!! ..

this art is wicked man,.. i really like the cellshaded chick too,.. looks awesome,.. right out of an art book i reckon.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 18/10/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

I like it! The foreshortening is extreme but thats a perfectly reasonable style decision, especially since its partially anime inspired.

Great stuff Pants!