Skip to main content

Sumea navigation

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Is the site hard to navigate? Received a comment recently..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 10/04/03 - 7:20 PM Permalink

I find it pretty basic to get around actually. I like the fact that I can just look at the posts that have changed since I last visited. What was the comment?

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 11/04/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Tis pretty straight forward I think. Seems people have trouble with the uploads and linking, though I haven't tried this myself yet.

Scott.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 11/04/03 - 12:53 AM Permalink

not an issue at all in my opinion.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/04/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I find it pretty basic to get around actually. I like the fact that I can just look at the posts that have changed since I last visited. What was the comment?

That was basically it - the site was hard to navigate.. (not the forum - the actual website)

Uploading has really been an issue with new members..I'm gonna have to do a step-by-step pages going through each step in detail.. 1: "upload your thumbnails now".. 2: ok, write your news now... etc The details are already there, but I've noticed that people just don't like reading instructions. Members still upload avatars over 10k in size, even though there's text under the upload button telling you to keep the size under 10k. And people are still uploading 20k thumbnails, which I end up having to download and optimize down to 3k (with little quality loss)..

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 11/04/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

The site seems rather easy to navigate, except on your first visit, where you might have to search around to see what are the links and what exactly they are, but that's what you'd expect first time :)

I personally think the upload thing is horrible, I am still not sure how to use it, and luckily I don't need to :)

From what I gather, the process seems rather awkward... upload thumbs.. upload pictures.. make sure they all have the right names.. write news.. select pictures by id and filename?

Maybe you should get someone to write an activex applet like the msn photo upload one :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 12/04/03 - 12:45 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri
Uploading has really been an issue with new members..I'm gonna have to do a step-by-step pages going through each step in detail..

I think that the main problem with the upload is that there is not conformation that it has worked, other then the apperance of the inital TN's. Only other thing I have issues with is that editing your post bounces it the same way that posting a new reply does. Some times I come in to read a thread that has 'new' posts only to find out that someone has corrected the spelling on something. Not a big issue though.

Pantmonger

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Sat, 12/04/03 - 1:29 AM Permalink

I think the main problem would stem from your changing layout.

The front cover is all done one way and is completely thown away when you look at the forums.

It least some form of universal semblance should be kept.

I Initially thought had a prob but once i figured it out it was like second nature. Anyway the opinion i have is for someone new to the site it may appear daunting.

0xBaaDf00d.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 12/04/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by PantmongerOnly other thing I have issues with is that editing your post bounces it the same way that posting a new reply does. Some times I come in to read a thread that has 'new' posts only to find out that someone has corrected the spelling on something. Not a big issue though.

That's a forum issue, and there's nothing I can do about that. I try not to meddle with the forum code at all, so that's why the navigation doesn't appear here either.. (well, it does now, since I've just put it in). I've also put up a step-by-step upload/news option up, so hopefully it will be much easier now.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 12/04/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

just to save some space up there :)

u have HOME twice and no need for FORUM

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 12/04/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Nice one souri.
The step by step should help the newbies with the upload, I was just saying to Pantmonger you should do that, take the control away from the user and they can't frick it up. [:P]

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Mon, 14/04/03 - 2:06 PM Permalink

I agree a step by step for the upload would be great.
The navigation is excellent; it?s so easy to get around in comparison to similar forum type-sites.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

If you say Sumea is a forum-type site, I will kill you... [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/04/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I've always thought that the forums were missing the navigation links - thanks for putting them in Souri :-)

Posted by souri on
Forum

Is the site hard to navigate? Received a comment recently..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 10/04/03 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 11/04/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Tis pretty straight forward I think. Seems people have trouble with the uploads and linking, though I haven't tried this myself yet.

Scott.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 11/04/03 - 12:53 AM Permalink

not an issue at all in my opinion.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/04/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

That was basically it - the site was hard to navigate.. (not the forum - the actual website)

Uploading has really been an issue with new members..I'm gonna have to do a step-by-step pages going through each step in detail.. 1: "upload your thumbnails now".. 2: ok, write your news now... etc The details are already there, but I've noticed that people just don't like reading instructions. Members still upload avatars over 10k in size, even though there's text under the upload button telling you to keep the size under 10k. And people are still uploading 20k thumbnails, which I end up having to download and optimize down to 3k (with little quality loss)..

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 11/04/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

The site seems rather easy to navigate, except on your first visit, where you might have to search around to see what are the links and what exactly they are, but that's what you'd expect first time :)

I personally think the upload thing is horrible, I am still not sure how to use it, and luckily I don't need to :)

From what I gather, the process seems rather awkward... upload thumbs.. upload pictures.. make sure they all have the right names.. write news.. select pictures by id and filename?

Maybe you should get someone to write an activex applet like the msn photo upload one :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 12/04/03 - 12:45 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri
Uploading has really been an issue with new members..I'm gonna have to do a step-by-step pages going through each step in detail..

I think that the main problem with the upload is that there is not conformation that it has worked, other then the apperance of the inital TN's. Only other thing I have issues with is that editing your post bounces it the same way that posting a new reply does. Some times I come in to read a thread that has 'new' posts only to find out that someone has corrected the spelling on something. Not a big issue though.

Pantmonger

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Sat, 12/04/03 - 1:29 AM Permalink

I think the main problem would stem from your changing layout.

The front cover is all done one way and is completely thown away when you look at the forums.

It least some form of universal semblance should be kept.

I Initially thought had a prob but once i figured it out it was like second nature. Anyway the opinion i have is for someone new to the site it may appear daunting.

0xBaaDf00d.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 12/04/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by PantmongerOnly other thing I have issues with is that editing your post bounces it the same way that posting a new reply does. Some times I come in to read a thread that has 'new' posts only to find out that someone has corrected the spelling on something. Not a big issue though.

That's a forum issue, and there's nothing I can do about that. I try not to meddle with the forum code at all, so that's why the navigation doesn't appear here either.. (well, it does now, since I've just put it in). I've also put up a step-by-step upload/news option up, so hopefully it will be much easier now.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 12/04/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

just to save some space up there :)

u have HOME twice and no need for FORUM

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 12/04/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Nice one souri.
The step by step should help the newbies with the upload, I was just saying to Pantmonger you should do that, take the control away from the user and they can't frick it up. [:P]

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Mon, 14/04/03 - 2:06 PM Permalink

I agree a step by step for the upload would be great.
The navigation is excellent; it?s so easy to get around in comparison to similar forum type-sites.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/04/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

If you say Sumea is a forum-type site, I will kill you... [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/04/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I've always thought that the forums were missing the navigation links - thanks for putting them in Souri :-)