Skip to main content

Sumea website updates planned - APRIL 2005

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Just posting somethoughts on some updates planned on Sumea.

I've just finished putting in the functionality for Sumea Profile Members to customise their profile/blog/journal pages a bit and making those pages more useful. At the moment, I think they're cooler than a blog from LiveJournal or DeviantArt.

There's updating on Sumea planned. What probably needs most focus is on how visitors access Sumea member profile pages, and the work they've uploaded, and just usability.

At the moment, Sumea members are ranked in the section pages by how many times their profile has been visited. This is pretty darn silly. Case in point is that I'm ranked highest in the list and I haven't uploaded any new pics or journal entries in yonks. New members who do upload frequently will have a hard time catching up to the amount of hits I have raked over the years, most of which were probably received because I was ranked up the top.
So the plan is to list members by the last time they posted in their journal, plus an option to list members by how popular they are, how many comments they have recieved in their guestbook, and any other order I manage to come up with. This means I can ditch that other silly idea of unupgraded members. These were the members who joined and have not written anything in their journal, so were not listed in the memberlist. With the new method, active people are rewarded by being on top of the list, and slackers will appear at the bottom.

I've noticed that the amount of uploaded pictures on the site has grown pretty big now. I'll be putting in the section pages the ability to list the thumbnails by how many times they've been viewed, and by the the number of comments they have recieved, along with the order in which they were submitted.

Finally, I'll be finishing off some of the new skins on the site and making them more polished and unqiue (or in the Mini Sumea case, actually working [:D]). Also Redwyre's been giving me some ideas I wish he hadn't, since I haven't stopped thinking about them. The idea is to customise or even re-arrange what you want to appear on certain pages. For example, if you want a fast main page and could do without the member thumbnails, or latest journal entries, votes, and news highlights, you can turn any of them off.

Anyway, that's the plan for now.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 14/04/05 - 8:43 PM Permalink

I say you call it "Sumea 360".

[:)]

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 14/04/05 - 9:57 PM Permalink

You know you love me Souri!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/04/05 - 12:45 AM Permalink

sounds like you got your work cut out for you, good luck with that!

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/04/05 - 2:03 AM Permalink

a link to the sumea profile from the forum would be good. a person's post already contains links to their forum profile, homepage, etc. putting a main profile link on there or somewhere else on the post would be great.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 04/05/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

Well I have to say that I the new style of the coder/artist etc sections look pretty spiffy and are nicely functional to boot!

Good work Souri :-)

Posted by souri on
Forum

Just posting somethoughts on some updates planned on Sumea.

I've just finished putting in the functionality for Sumea Profile Members to customise their profile/blog/journal pages a bit and making those pages more useful. At the moment, I think they're cooler than a blog from LiveJournal or DeviantArt.

There's updating on Sumea planned. What probably needs most focus is on how visitors access Sumea member profile pages, and the work they've uploaded, and just usability.

At the moment, Sumea members are ranked in the section pages by how many times their profile has been visited. This is pretty darn silly. Case in point is that I'm ranked highest in the list and I haven't uploaded any new pics or journal entries in yonks. New members who do upload frequently will have a hard time catching up to the amount of hits I have raked over the years, most of which were probably received because I was ranked up the top.
So the plan is to list members by the last time they posted in their journal, plus an option to list members by how popular they are, how many comments they have recieved in their guestbook, and any other order I manage to come up with. This means I can ditch that other silly idea of unupgraded members. These were the members who joined and have not written anything in their journal, so were not listed in the memberlist. With the new method, active people are rewarded by being on top of the list, and slackers will appear at the bottom.

I've noticed that the amount of uploaded pictures on the site has grown pretty big now. I'll be putting in the section pages the ability to list the thumbnails by how many times they've been viewed, and by the the number of comments they have recieved, along with the order in which they were submitted.

Finally, I'll be finishing off some of the new skins on the site and making them more polished and unqiue (or in the Mini Sumea case, actually working [:D]). Also Redwyre's been giving me some ideas I wish he hadn't, since I haven't stopped thinking about them. The idea is to customise or even re-arrange what you want to appear on certain pages. For example, if you want a fast main page and could do without the member thumbnails, or latest journal entries, votes, and news highlights, you can turn any of them off.

Anyway, that's the plan for now.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 14/04/05 - 8:43 PM Permalink

I say you call it "Sumea 360".

[:)]

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 14/04/05 - 9:57 PM Permalink

You know you love me Souri!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/04/05 - 12:45 AM Permalink

sounds like you got your work cut out for you, good luck with that!

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/04/05 - 2:03 AM Permalink

a link to the sumea profile from the forum would be good. a person's post already contains links to their forum profile, homepage, etc. putting a main profile link on there or somewhere else on the post would be great.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 04/05/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

Well I have to say that I the new style of the coder/artist etc sections look pretty spiffy and are nicely functional to boot!

Good work Souri :-)