Skip to main content

Why is this site called "Sumea"

Submitted by tachyon on
Forum

Just curious, and does Sumea actually mean something?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I needed a short memorable name for the site.. if you remember some brands out there that make no sense but have become/were household names (well, in the design community anyway.. like K*Grind, Kioken etc). It's a name of an old Amiga demo, by Virtual Dreams. It also means something else in another language. There's a company in the netherlands called Sumea. At the time I registered the domain, they weren't really doing anything other than some java 3d demos. (This was years ago). Now they're doing mobile phone games, with deals with phone companies etc... so that might cause some headaches for me later on.

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 17/04/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Tho I doubt they'll want the .com.au [:D]

Scott

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/04/03 - 5:58 AM Permalink

so where does "DESTROY THEM MY ROBOTS" come into all of this?

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 18/04/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

redwyre: That's what I want to know...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 20/04/03 - 3:43 AM Permalink

It's actually supposed to be "Destroy him, my robots".. it's from Impossible Mission on the C64..

Submitted by redwyre on Sun, 20/04/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Either way, it doesn't seem like a nice thing to say... :(

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 20/04/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

Souri: I think this Question and Answer (well both of them) should go into the FAQ (if you have one atm, can't remember).

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 21/04/03 - 3:57 AM Permalink

What about this one: "YOUR EVER LOVING GAMEDEV STATION*" "*any actual love received is purely coincidental"

heh

Posted by tachyon on
Forum

Just curious, and does Sumea actually mean something?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/04/03 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I needed a short memorable name for the site.. if you remember some brands out there that make no sense but have become/were household names (well, in the design community anyway.. like K*Grind, Kioken etc). It's a name of an old Amiga demo, by Virtual Dreams. It also means something else in another language. There's a company in the netherlands called Sumea. At the time I registered the domain, they weren't really doing anything other than some java 3d demos. (This was years ago). Now they're doing mobile phone games, with deals with phone companies etc... so that might cause some headaches for me later on.

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 17/04/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Tho I doubt they'll want the .com.au [:D]

Scott

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/04/03 - 5:58 AM Permalink

so where does "DESTROY THEM MY ROBOTS" come into all of this?

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 18/04/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

redwyre: That's what I want to know...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 20/04/03 - 3:43 AM Permalink

It's actually supposed to be "Destroy him, my robots".. it's from Impossible Mission on the C64..

Submitted by redwyre on Sun, 20/04/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Either way, it doesn't seem like a nice thing to say... :(

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 20/04/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

Souri: I think this Question and Answer (well both of them) should go into the FAQ (if you have one atm, can't remember).

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 21/04/03 - 3:57 AM Permalink

What about this one: "YOUR EVER LOVING GAMEDEV STATION*" "*any actual love received is purely coincidental"

heh