Skip to main content

Seeking talent-Very Important- can u drawwrite?

Submitted by Dogg on
Forum

Anyone that would like to build games for profit shares, any hours please contact me for info.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 22/03/06 - 11:26 AM Permalink

Whoever you are you should be telling people something about yourself rather than hiding if you want replies. Your name would be a good place to start imho. You have also posted in the wrong section of sumea.

I humbly suggest no one follow this up without a LOT more info.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Wed, 22/03/06 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Yeah sorry dude Im with lorien on this, sounds dodgy, doesnt mean it is, just give more info if you're expecting replies. Im guessing what you're doing is attempting to start up a garage dev team, at least thats what Im hoping, and that this 'dollar' they may be able to make wont be the only one. Anyway if its a garage start up then thats cool, most of the best places get started that way anyhow, but describe yourself better, your background, your ambition, bust size, so on.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 22/03/06 - 10:11 PM Permalink

Just a note- this was in General Chat.

Submitted by Dogg on Tue, 28/03/06 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Well, guys, er I thought this post was straight forward and a great topic itself. General chat sounded like the best place to post it. Thanks for your help anyway.

Just looking for the right person(s)

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 30/03/06 - 5:52 AM Permalink

No offence was intended Dogg, but you simply shouldn't post stuff like that anonymously on the 'net. You need to make it completely clear that you are offerring a fair deal, and part of that is not being anonymous.

CynicalFan's "I'm starting an indie title" is different, he's quite well known around here, and plenty of people know who he is and what he's worked on before.

Binh Nguyen with his "Invitation for Artists" is using his full name, he's well known for the game dev meetups and his involvement with Freeplay.

Have a look at the amount of information they both provide. You probably can't provide as much, but you should at least be providing enough for everyone to be certain you are genuine.

Submitted by Dragoon on Thu, 30/03/06 - 8:58 PM Permalink

Just because you are asking for help, doesn't mean you want it all to be public. People can send him PM's and ask for details. For some the lack of information would put them off offering help, which is something that has to be considered when asking for it.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 30/03/06 - 10:55 PM Permalink

I disagree Dan Giddings. I've explained why and you just have a habit of disagreeing with anything I say. It's rather boring actually, you mostly miss the point completely.

Dogg originally asked for "juniors". Juniors often aren't very good at spotting scams. That's why everything needs to be public.

Sumea has ways of telling people who you are without making it completely public- that's why you have to log in to read someone's profile. Dogg's has nothing at all- just the same as yours.

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 1:21 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lorien

I disagree Dan Giddings. I've explained why and you just have a habit of disagreeing with anything I say. It's rather boring actually, you mostly miss the point completely.

Dogg originally asked for "juniors". Juniors often aren't very good at spotting scams. That's why everything needs to be public.

Sumea has ways of telling people who you are without making it completely public- that's why you have to log in to read someone's profile. Dogg's has nothing at all- just the same as yours.

I don't have a habit of disagreeing with what you say because you are saying it. I would have thought that was obvious.

There are plenty of projects done by people in their spare time and on the weekends which are not public. What makes you think they should be? Do you think people on here are not capable of asking their own questions?

So what if his profile has nothing at all? my point was, if you had cared to read it rather than just trying to flame me, was that people that wanted to know more can send him a PM, and if he did provide more information publicly he might find more support or interest in his project as many people would be put off by the lack of it.

No offence was intended Dogg, but you simply shouldn't post stuff like that anonymously on the 'net. You need to make it completely clear that you are offerring a fair deal, and part of that is not being anonymous.

Do you realise that many projects organised online, in particular game mods, have a lot of anonymity involved in their creation (some people known only by handles or hotmail addresses)? - I thought you were into the open source thing and would realise this at least.

Do you know that people form many friendships on line while remaining completely anonymous? ever played World of Warcraft or an MMOG and had to be in 40 man raid, trusting people in your guild not to screw you?

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Just for the hell of it, I present a few random Chuck Norris quotes:

When someone does Chuck Norris a favor, he never says, "Thank you" but only, "You're welcome" for allowing them to do a favor for Chuck Norris.

The songs "You're beautiful", "You are so beautiful", and "Beautiful" were all written shortly after the artist was flashed by Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris, Vin Diesel and Arnold Schwarzenegger have all died and are in Heaven. Each of them hope to occupy the seat next to God. God asks Vin Diesel why he thinks he should have the seat and Vin replies, "I believe... I should have the seat because of the virtuosity in my toughness and pride." Arnie says, "I believe... that I should be the one sitting next to you because of all my achievements." God then turns to Chuck Norris, who replies with, "I believe... you are sitting in my seat."

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:06 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Dragoon

I don't have a habit of disagreeing with what you say because you are saying it. I would have thought that was obvious.

No, it's not obvious at all. You could have fooled me.

quote:
There are plenty of projects done by people in their spare time and on the weekends which are not public. What makes you think they should be? Do you think people on here are not capable of asking their own questions?

They tend to provide a little more info about the project/projects they have in mind. This was a first post, and it was specifically about "trying to make a buck out of the games industry" before it was edited to have even less information.

quote:
So what if his profile has nothing at all? my point was, if you had cared to read it rather than just trying to flame me, was that people that wanted to know more can send him a PM, and if he did provide more information publicly he might find more support or interest in his project as many people would be put off by the lack of it.

IMHO people shouldn't bother PMing or emailing in response to something like this ever. I said "I humbly suggest no one follow this up without a LOT more info".

quote:
Do you realise that many projects organised online, in particular game mods, have a lot of anonymity involved in their creation (some people known only by handles or hotmail addresses)? - I thought you were into the open source thing and would realise this at least.

I said "you should be telling people something about yourself rather than hiding if you want replies"...

Open source is mostly not about making a buck on the individual level at least (unless you work for an open source company). And in open source projects you really have to keep track of who contributes what in case of patent infringements and the like.

quote:

Do you know that people form many friendships on line while remaining completely anonymous? ever played World of Warcraft or an MMOG and had to be in 40 man raid, trusting people in your guild not to screw you?

Did you know that the internet is full of scams, fraud, dodgyness and general sleaze? Including in MMOGs? You seem to be a little confused between virtual reality and reality here, getting screwed in the real world is normally worse than getting screwed in the virtual (not that getting screwed in the virtual isn't bad enough). Getting screwed in the real world often has more real world consequences.

We already have a Beware Scammers thread, I suggest Dogg should read it. Note that this is not the same as saying "this is a scam"!!

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Of course the Internet is full of scams, though providing information about the project in no way, shape or form precludes a scam if the author is Anonymous. In fact a scammer with half a brain would try to build up rep on a site, particularly to avoid such accusations.

I'm curious about CynicalFan's anonymity (I have nothing against him btw so don't try to imply it - but for arguments sake since you brought his name into the asking for help thing above). Why do you not have a problem with it? Just look at his profile, he says it's specifically anonymous to make fun of and reveal not-so-well-known industry "gossip". He provides more information about the project which is likely to draw more interest. No offence, but I don't see a single piece of information as to why anyone should trust that he's genuine any more than Anonymous Dogg. I would have no problem assuming he was more genuine if he provided some personal information and qualifications, for example as you do in your profile. After all if he wanted to start a project and provide genuine information he could create another profile, provide the information and no one would even know it was CynicalFan, thus preserving his anonymity for the CynicalFan profile. I wonder why he didn't do that?

Anonymity here I also don't see as quite so relevant (IP's can be tracked, if someone releases something with your work without permission, it should be easy to prove that you created it, and they've used it without permission).

You'll also have to either contact or speak to the individual, or meet with them. If they only ever provide you with a hotmail address, don't take them seriously. You'll have ample time to look at the conditions they might impose, and if you don't like it, don't send them anything.

So what does getting scammed in real life cost you in this situation anyway? You'll be out an amount of time, but you'll still have your work and source files. In a virtual world you lose time, you have to do things over, or sometimes quit. People can spend 1000's of hours online (1yr play @ 20hours a week isn't that hardcore as far as MMOG's go, and amounts to about 1000 hours). You can lose a lot of time in both situations.

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:44 AM Permalink

:-( no comments on the Chuck Norris facts.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 3:31 AM Permalink

I'm curious about CynicalFan's anonymity (I have nothing against him btw so don't try to imply it - but for arguments sake since you brought his name into the asking for help thing above). Why do you not have a problem with it? Just look at his profile, he says it's specifically anonymous to make fun of and reveal not-so-well-known industry "gossip".

I've already explained that. As has Cynical himself- anyone with a 1/4 of a brain can figure out who he is. He's not really anonymous, he's being kind to some people by not revealing who he is to everyone directly. And that's all I will say on it.

What being scammed in this case can cost is more than time. Maybe you might still have your work and source files, but what happens if you don't own them anymore? There are plenty of other "what ifs", that's what needs fixing. And in my view it should be fixed before requiring a PM or an email.

This conversation is pointless in my view. The way Dogg could change things is by providing more information up front. You can't.

Submitted by Dogg on Fri, 31/03/06 - 11:10 AM Permalink

er guys Anonymous Dogg (R) is the name of my company, there is a page of info at the looking for work section

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 31/03/06 - 1:06 PM Permalink

How about we cut the arguments out of Doggs thread and leave him be [:)] Go for gold, do it your own way Anonymous Dogg, dont conform! See where the winds take you!.... gahhh!!! (I need sleep)

/no offense to anyone whose commented so far was intended.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 11:57 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

How about we cut the arguments out of Doggs thread

Thank you HazarD, that was really the point I was making with "This conversation is pointless in my view."

Submitted by Dogg on Sun, 02/04/06 - 6:32 PM Permalink

You know...you dont have to.

My boss at Canon once told me, when I ran a red light with a company car, 'Any publicity is good publicity.'

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 08/08/06 - 9:14 AM Permalink

lol your boss sounds like a funny guy :P

in the title you ask if ppl can draw? what kinda drawing skills you looking for ?

Submitted by Dogg on Thu, 21/09/06 - 10:36 AM Permalink

any type of drawing skills from 2d to 3d, any type of animator or artist is encouraged to join the team.Anonymous Dogg2006-09-22 04:17:38

Posted by Dogg on
Forum

Anyone that would like to build games for profit shares, any hours please contact me for info.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 22/03/06 - 11:26 AM Permalink

Whoever you are you should be telling people something about yourself rather than hiding if you want replies. Your name would be a good place to start imho. You have also posted in the wrong section of sumea.

I humbly suggest no one follow this up without a LOT more info.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Wed, 22/03/06 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Yeah sorry dude Im with lorien on this, sounds dodgy, doesnt mean it is, just give more info if you're expecting replies. Im guessing what you're doing is attempting to start up a garage dev team, at least thats what Im hoping, and that this 'dollar' they may be able to make wont be the only one. Anyway if its a garage start up then thats cool, most of the best places get started that way anyhow, but describe yourself better, your background, your ambition, bust size, so on.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 22/03/06 - 10:11 PM Permalink

Just a note- this was in General Chat.

Submitted by Dogg on Tue, 28/03/06 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Well, guys, er I thought this post was straight forward and a great topic itself. General chat sounded like the best place to post it. Thanks for your help anyway.

Just looking for the right person(s)

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 30/03/06 - 5:52 AM Permalink

CynicalFan's "I'm starting an indie title" is different, he's quite well known around here, and plenty of people know who he is and what he's worked on before.

Binh Nguyen with his "Invitation for Artists" is using his full name, he's well known for the game dev meetups and his involvement with Freeplay.

Have a look at the amount of information they both provide. You probably can't provide as much, but you should at least be providing enough for everyone to be certain you are genuine.

Submitted by Dragoon on Thu, 30/03/06 - 8:58 PM Permalink

Just because you are asking for help, doesn't mean you want it all to be public. People can send him PM's and ask for details. For some the lack of information would put them off offering help, which is something that has to be considered when asking for it.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 30/03/06 - 10:55 PM Permalink

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 1:21 AM Permalink

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Just for the hell of it, I present a few random Chuck Norris quotes:

When someone does Chuck Norris a favor, he never says, "Thank you" but only, "You're welcome" for allowing them to do a favor for Chuck Norris.

The songs "You're beautiful", "You are so beautiful", and "Beautiful" were all written shortly after the artist was flashed by Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris, Vin Diesel and Arnold Schwarzenegger have all died and are in Heaven. Each of them hope to occupy the seat next to God. God asks Vin Diesel why he thinks he should have the seat and Vin replies, "I believe... I should have the seat because of the virtuosity in my toughness and pride." Arnie says, "I believe... that I should be the one sitting next to you because of all my achievements." God then turns to Chuck Norris, who replies with, "I believe... you are sitting in my seat."

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:06 AM Permalink

No, it's not obvious at all. You could have fooled me.

quote:

They tend to provide a little more info about the project/projects they have in mind. This was a first post, and it was specifically about "trying to make a buck out of the games industry" before it was edited to have even less information.

quote:

IMHO people shouldn't bother PMing or emailing in response to something like this ever. I said "I humbly suggest no one follow this up without a LOT more info".

quote:

I said "you should be telling people something about yourself rather than hiding if you want replies"...

Open source is mostly not about making a buck on the individual level at least (unless you work for an open source company). And in open source projects you really have to keep track of who contributes what in case of patent infringements and the like.

quote:

Did you know that the internet is full of scams, fraud, dodgyness and general sleaze? Including in MMOGs? You seem to be a little confused between virtual reality and reality here, getting screwed in the real world is normally worse than getting screwed in the virtual (not that getting screwed in the virtual isn't bad enough). Getting screwed in the real world often has more real world consequences.

We already have a Beware Scammers thread, I suggest Dogg should read it. Note that this is not the same as saying "this is a scam"!!

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Of course the Internet is full of scams, though providing information about the project in no way, shape or form precludes a scam if the author is Anonymous. In fact a scammer with half a brain would try to build up rep on a site, particularly to avoid such accusations.

I'm curious about CynicalFan's anonymity (I have nothing against him btw so don't try to imply it - but for arguments sake since you brought his name into the asking for help thing above). Why do you not have a problem with it? Just look at his profile, he says it's specifically anonymous to make fun of and reveal not-so-well-known industry "gossip". He provides more information about the project which is likely to draw more interest. No offence, but I don't see a single piece of information as to why anyone should trust that he's genuine any more than Anonymous Dogg. I would have no problem assuming he was more genuine if he provided some personal information and qualifications, for example as you do in your profile. After all if he wanted to start a project and provide genuine information he could create another profile, provide the information and no one would even know it was CynicalFan, thus preserving his anonymity for the CynicalFan profile. I wonder why he didn't do that?

Anonymity here I also don't see as quite so relevant (IP's can be tracked, if someone releases something with your work without permission, it should be easy to prove that you created it, and they've used it without permission).

You'll also have to either contact or speak to the individual, or meet with them. If they only ever provide you with a hotmail address, don't take them seriously. You'll have ample time to look at the conditions they might impose, and if you don't like it, don't send them anything.

So what does getting scammed in real life cost you in this situation anyway? You'll be out an amount of time, but you'll still have your work and source files. In a virtual world you lose time, you have to do things over, or sometimes quit. People can spend 1000's of hours online (1yr play @ 20hours a week isn't that hardcore as far as MMOG's go, and amounts to about 1000 hours). You can lose a lot of time in both situations.

Submitted by Dragoon on Fri, 31/03/06 - 2:44 AM Permalink

:-( no comments on the Chuck Norris facts.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 3:31 AM Permalink

I'm curious about CynicalFan's anonymity (I have nothing against him btw so don't try to imply it - but for arguments sake since you brought his name into the asking for help thing above). Why do you not have a problem with it? Just look at his profile, he says it's specifically anonymous to make fun of and reveal not-so-well-known industry "gossip".

I've already explained that. As has Cynical himself- anyone with a 1/4 of a brain can figure out who he is. He's not really anonymous, he's being kind to some people by not revealing who he is to everyone directly. And that's all I will say on it.

What being scammed in this case can cost is more than time. Maybe you might still have your work and source files, but what happens if you don't own them anymore? There are plenty of other "what ifs", that's what needs fixing. And in my view it should be fixed before requiring a PM or an email.

This conversation is pointless in my view. The way Dogg could change things is by providing more information up front. You can't.

Submitted by Dogg on Fri, 31/03/06 - 11:10 AM Permalink

er guys Anonymous Dogg (R) is the name of my company, there is a page of info at the looking for work section

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 31/03/06 - 1:06 PM Permalink

How about we cut the arguments out of Doggs thread and leave him be [:)] Go for gold, do it your own way Anonymous Dogg, dont conform! See where the winds take you!.... gahhh!!! (I need sleep)

/no offense to anyone whose commented so far was intended.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 31/03/06 - 11:57 PM Permalink

Thank you HazarD, that was really the point I was making with "This conversation is pointless in my view."

Submitted by Dogg on Sun, 02/04/06 - 6:32 PM Permalink

You know...you dont have to.

My boss at Canon once told me, when I ran a red light with a company car, 'Any publicity is good publicity.'

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 08/08/06 - 9:14 AM Permalink

lol your boss sounds like a funny guy :P

in the title you ask if ppl can draw? what kinda drawing skills you looking for ?

Submitted by Dogg on Thu, 21/09/06 - 10:36 AM Permalink

any type of drawing skills from 2d to 3d, any type of animator or artist is encouraged to join the team.Anonymous Dogg2006-09-22 04:17:38