Skip to main content

2d Art suggestion - Read please Souri :)

Submitted by Kalescent on
Forum

Hey souri, a few of the guys and i mentioned something along the lines of setting up a 2d like workshop, whereby some guidelines were set ie DWARVEN CLERIC ( like matias's recent entry in the exhibition ) and anyone who felt like drawing would be able to depict the creature / class / race, as they saw fit.

I thought it would be quite a cool thing to see how everyone depicts their own idea given a single strict guideline.

Kinda a good basis for ideas and learning, just thought id put it out there to see if we couldnt set something up like that, a few of the members have already expressed their interests, maybe we could add it to the quick activities area, or even if it gets big enough maybe we could have a concept art challenge at one point, like we do for the programmers and modellers.

What say you ? [:D]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:14 AM Permalink

Sounds good. We've tried two times to get the concept artists going - there was a Sumea Concept Art challenge which failed, and the Sumea Paint activity where we had to draw a board room concept which failed as well. We might have to give it another try.

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

Damn 2d artists- I mean woohoo! [:D] I dunno if it would be best to wait until the 3d comp is finished and over, just so that any 3d guys want in they aren't gonna be to busy...

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

yeah i was thinking paticularly along the lines of character concept section only ( ie break up the concept into things like Character / creature - architecture - environmental etc etc ) - where someone sets a race and class & those are basically the only guidelines. whether or not people want to take it further and make a comp out of it, like you said weel just have to gauge enthusiasm and take it from there. Id DEFINATELY be keen for it tho.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

this is my idea of this thing

this would go along the same lines as sumea pixel town me thinks. Cept not so... communal. A set concept (like the dwarven cleric) and everyone (with their unique styles) draws their own rendition. It could be contained entirely within one thread. Its not a competition like the modeller comp but more a fun activity like pixel town.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/03/04 - 12:53 PM Permalink

yup for sure MoonUnit, i reckon we should get it crankin as soon as the model comp is over :) give us all a bit of a break from modelling , time to work on the concept side of things..

How many people are going to be interested in this ?? if you are say so in this thread so we can get a gauge to see whether its going to be worth while [:D]

I AM!![:D] and my fiancee will be in as well, she kicks my ass in the concept department [:(]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

As always, im in dependent on avalable time.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 25/03/04 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I'd be keen, assuming I can sort out some way of getting art to the computer. I'm sure it would be good for me to build on my almost non-existant art skills!

I'd like to see something quite informal, maybe a topic each week and people are free to submit sketches or concepts for discussion, not necasarily finished works.

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

yeah, I'm in! (surprise, surprise) I like the communal thread ala pixel town, plus the varying degrees of progress. I think the discussion part would be really good!
Plus you know what the say, practice makes perfect!

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:09 AM Permalink

cool well someone needs to take the helm and set the topics like malus and Jkerr did for the modelling comp - else i reckon it will just turn into a whole bunch of people submitting random pieces of art which would make it just another exhibition thread ...

Or we could just have a vote on what the first character class could be... suggestions ?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 26/03/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

im still for the idea of a orc engineer which i mentioned somewhere else....

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

Im good for orc engineer sounds pretty unique !! will be interesting...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:23 AM Permalink

im not sure what sort of vote count we would need before this is initiated, personally id love to start it up but im thinking its a sumea admin job unless they say otherwise.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

BAH! if we leave it to them - weel grow hair in our ears and beards 12 feet long. [;)]

Submitted by hobonation on Thu, 01/04/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

wooooooo! I'll do it, my aim is to beat matias.....[xx(]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 21/04/04 - 4:54 PM Permalink

Ok, I think now would be a good time to get this started. Would any of you like volunteer to make a post on the subject matter in the Sumea Draw Club section? People can post their work in the thread, so it's all contained in one thread as suggested.
Now before it turns into a confused thread of constant update posts and mess, we should make a few rules.

- You make ONE post only, and you re-edit your posts to include your updates.

- 3 pictures maximum in your post at any time. Perhaps show the concept, midpoint, and final piece when you're done..

- maximum of 800x600 pixel size per picture (you can use smaller than this). And for the love of god, please do use good jpg compression so that the pages don't get too bogged down with loading times. You can get a decent picture a lot of times at 800x600 pixels at 80k (depends on the picture, yes). I don't wanna see 250k images! If it's a basic concept piece, it should be really small in size.

- I recommend you use your sumea profile member account to upload your images to Sumea. That way, the images are preserved on the site for good. So whenever someone views this thread a year from now, they won't see a thread full of broken image links.

We'll make a companion comment thread so we can actually make comments, critiquie, suggestions, compliments etc on the work submitted.. Any comments on the rules or any suggestions most welcome.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

So basicly were just following those guidlines and alternating between subjects (like the orc engineer).

If people can only make one post theres no room for discussion, and some point in this was to discuss different drawing styles, as it was partially created because people who have different drawing styles are sometimes disinclined to participate in other activities.

errrr im not sure if that past paragraph made any sense or not.... heh

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

yeah i think it did - my understanding of it was the following,..

That there be a thread for each creature / design idea , and everyone post there concepts to that thread - we create a new one for each monster etc.

we could conduct it like the modelling comps, weherby someone sets a template and everyone posts in there own thread - that would also work and i think thats what souri is reffering to.

Either way works for me [:)]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Just make one thread for discussion and one for displaying WIPS/final images?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:08 AM Permalink

well at present its not a comp, so it dosent really need to be organised, unless you want to take it down that road *shrug*

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

My suggestion was as Makk said, one thread for discussion and one for displaying WIPS/final images. If you have a better suggestion, please do tell! The rules were suggested as a way to keep things in order and a not chaotic mess.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

sorry dont want to sound like im ungratefull and crushing your ideas souri :P

only thing i was worried about was it turning into a competition, its not mine to govern though. Looks all good really :) go for it (making the threads that is)

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

nah not a comp - more of a feedback / gallery to share our styles etc. i mean maybe eventually we could turn it into a comp later on down the track [;)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/04/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Ok, I think I'm getting misunderstood atm. You should definately re-read what I wrote on the first page. I will explain the reasoning behind my suggestions.

quote:If people can only make one post theres no room for discussion, and some point in this was to discuss different drawing styles, as it was partially created because people who have different drawing styles are sometimes disinclined to participate in other activities.

From the previous post - "We'll make a companion comment thread so we can actually make comments, critiquie, suggestions, compliments etc on the work submitted.."

quote:we could conduct it like the modelling comps, weherby someone sets a template and everyone posts in there own thread - that would also work and i think thats what souri is reffering to.

That's not what I was suggesting at all.

No individual threads. It's nothing like the challenges. Yes, there are rules - the rules are just about where to post and image dimensions/file sizes.

Why a uniform image canvas for everyone?
So we don't get people submitting 1500x300 pixel images stretching the forum page horizontally, while others post 300x1000 pixel images etc. One uniform canvas for everyone makes a neater presentation of all the work on the subject which will all go in the submitted works thread. And please keep the file sizes down. That's all that is.

Why 2 threads only?
Yes, there will be 2 threads ONLY in the draw club section on this. Why only two? Because I don't want the section to have so many individual threads like the Sumea challenges have. The draw club section has other threads like Sumea Pixel Town and the VS threads.. These are still ongoing, and a mass of individual threads is going to swamp the section. It's ok for the Sumea challenges since all the old challenge threads etc should be pushed off to the next page.
The first thread is where ALL OF YOU submit your work. I had this new idea where you just post ONE picture there - your latest picture. The second thread is where EVERYONE posts their progress pictures, comments, suggestions on each others work. Yes, it might be messy, but I prefer this than everyone having their own individual thread for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure how you guys exactly want this activity to be formatted - you're more than welcome to post what you're after since it is for you guys..

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

Ahhhhhhhh i understand now ... thanks for clearing that up - yeah i think thats a great way of doing it :) fully agree :)

Submitted by souri on Fri, 23/04/04 - 4:40 PM Permalink

Anyway, feel free to post a subject for the activity and get it going [:)]

Submitted by matias on Mon, 26/04/04 - 4:45 AM Permalink

ok has anyone thought of anything? perhaps we could do something with a draconian? or is that not well known enough?

Submitted by matias on Mon, 26/04/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

ok, I dont know them inside out but they're basically dragon spawned. I think they were created magically in like the distant past or something so they a like humanoid dragons almost, with the wings and the scales and the snouts, with the biting and killing! ahem... I think they come from the dargonlance realm... I'm sure someelse will be able give you a more complete run down
Anyway, you can find what he look like on the d&d pages at wizards.com (a reat resource for fontasy illos!!!)
Here is a link to a image of them on the wizards site;
[url]http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dlcs_gallery/DLCS_PG35.jpg[/url]
and here is the dragonlance gallery;
[url]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030808a[/url]
check out the different types, like Baaz, Bozak, Sivak... theres a heap and they all have diferent abilities and stuff, like one of them explodes when they die.. I can't remember which but yeah anyway, man do I have spare time or what![:p]

I am thinking tho if enough people haven't heard of them it might not be the best idea to do one....

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/04/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

ok so basicly were looking at humans crossed with dragons here. Interesting, sounds good to me (bar the fact that im probably gonna have to do scales now :( )

Posted by Kalescent on
Forum

Hey souri, a few of the guys and i mentioned something along the lines of setting up a 2d like workshop, whereby some guidelines were set ie DWARVEN CLERIC ( like matias's recent entry in the exhibition ) and anyone who felt like drawing would be able to depict the creature / class / race, as they saw fit.

I thought it would be quite a cool thing to see how everyone depicts their own idea given a single strict guideline.

Kinda a good basis for ideas and learning, just thought id put it out there to see if we couldnt set something up like that, a few of the members have already expressed their interests, maybe we could add it to the quick activities area, or even if it gets big enough maybe we could have a concept art challenge at one point, like we do for the programmers and modellers.

What say you ? [:D]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:14 AM Permalink

Sounds good. We've tried two times to get the concept artists going - there was a Sumea Concept Art challenge which failed, and the Sumea Paint activity where we had to draw a board room concept which failed as well. We might have to give it another try.

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

Damn 2d artists- I mean woohoo! [:D] I dunno if it would be best to wait until the 3d comp is finished and over, just so that any 3d guys want in they aren't gonna be to busy...

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

yeah i was thinking paticularly along the lines of character concept section only ( ie break up the concept into things like Character / creature - architecture - environmental etc etc ) - where someone sets a race and class & those are basically the only guidelines. whether or not people want to take it further and make a comp out of it, like you said weel just have to gauge enthusiasm and take it from there. Id DEFINATELY be keen for it tho.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

this is my idea of this thing

this would go along the same lines as sumea pixel town me thinks. Cept not so... communal. A set concept (like the dwarven cleric) and everyone (with their unique styles) draws their own rendition. It could be contained entirely within one thread. Its not a competition like the modeller comp but more a fun activity like pixel town.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/03/04 - 12:53 PM Permalink

yup for sure MoonUnit, i reckon we should get it crankin as soon as the model comp is over :) give us all a bit of a break from modelling , time to work on the concept side of things..

How many people are going to be interested in this ?? if you are say so in this thread so we can get a gauge to see whether its going to be worth while [:D]

I AM!![:D] and my fiancee will be in as well, she kicks my ass in the concept department [:(]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

As always, im in dependent on avalable time.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 25/03/04 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I'd be keen, assuming I can sort out some way of getting art to the computer. I'm sure it would be good for me to build on my almost non-existant art skills!

I'd like to see something quite informal, maybe a topic each week and people are free to submit sketches or concepts for discussion, not necasarily finished works.

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

yeah, I'm in! (surprise, surprise) I like the communal thread ala pixel town, plus the varying degrees of progress. I think the discussion part would be really good!
Plus you know what the say, practice makes perfect!

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:09 AM Permalink

cool well someone needs to take the helm and set the topics like malus and Jkerr did for the modelling comp - else i reckon it will just turn into a whole bunch of people submitting random pieces of art which would make it just another exhibition thread ...

Or we could just have a vote on what the first character class could be... suggestions ?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 26/03/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

im still for the idea of a orc engineer which i mentioned somewhere else....

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

Im good for orc engineer sounds pretty unique !! will be interesting...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:23 AM Permalink

im not sure what sort of vote count we would need before this is initiated, personally id love to start it up but im thinking its a sumea admin job unless they say otherwise.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

BAH! if we leave it to them - weel grow hair in our ears and beards 12 feet long. [;)]

Submitted by hobonation on Thu, 01/04/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

wooooooo! I'll do it, my aim is to beat matias.....[xx(]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 21/04/04 - 4:54 PM Permalink

Ok, I think now would be a good time to get this started. Would any of you like volunteer to make a post on the subject matter in the Sumea Draw Club section? People can post their work in the thread, so it's all contained in one thread as suggested.
Now before it turns into a confused thread of constant update posts and mess, we should make a few rules.

- You make ONE post only, and you re-edit your posts to include your updates.

- 3 pictures maximum in your post at any time. Perhaps show the concept, midpoint, and final piece when you're done..

- maximum of 800x600 pixel size per picture (you can use smaller than this). And for the love of god, please do use good jpg compression so that the pages don't get too bogged down with loading times. You can get a decent picture a lot of times at 800x600 pixels at 80k (depends on the picture, yes). I don't wanna see 250k images! If it's a basic concept piece, it should be really small in size.

- I recommend you use your sumea profile member account to upload your images to Sumea. That way, the images are preserved on the site for good. So whenever someone views this thread a year from now, they won't see a thread full of broken image links.

We'll make a companion comment thread so we can actually make comments, critiquie, suggestions, compliments etc on the work submitted.. Any comments on the rules or any suggestions most welcome.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

So basicly were just following those guidlines and alternating between subjects (like the orc engineer).

If people can only make one post theres no room for discussion, and some point in this was to discuss different drawing styles, as it was partially created because people who have different drawing styles are sometimes disinclined to participate in other activities.

errrr im not sure if that past paragraph made any sense or not.... heh

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

yeah i think it did - my understanding of it was the following,..

That there be a thread for each creature / design idea , and everyone post there concepts to that thread - we create a new one for each monster etc.

we could conduct it like the modelling comps, weherby someone sets a template and everyone posts in there own thread - that would also work and i think thats what souri is reffering to.

Either way works for me [:)]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Just make one thread for discussion and one for displaying WIPS/final images?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:08 AM Permalink

well at present its not a comp, so it dosent really need to be organised, unless you want to take it down that road *shrug*

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

My suggestion was as Makk said, one thread for discussion and one for displaying WIPS/final images. If you have a better suggestion, please do tell! The rules were suggested as a way to keep things in order and a not chaotic mess.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/04/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

sorry dont want to sound like im ungratefull and crushing your ideas souri :P

only thing i was worried about was it turning into a competition, its not mine to govern though. Looks all good really :) go for it (making the threads that is)

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

nah not a comp - more of a feedback / gallery to share our styles etc. i mean maybe eventually we could turn it into a comp later on down the track [;)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/04/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Ok, I think I'm getting misunderstood atm. You should definately re-read what I wrote on the first page. I will explain the reasoning behind my suggestions.

quote:If people can only make one post theres no room for discussion, and some point in this was to discuss different drawing styles, as it was partially created because people who have different drawing styles are sometimes disinclined to participate in other activities.

From the previous post - "We'll make a companion comment thread so we can actually make comments, critiquie, suggestions, compliments etc on the work submitted.."

quote:we could conduct it like the modelling comps, weherby someone sets a template and everyone posts in there own thread - that would also work and i think thats what souri is reffering to.

That's not what I was suggesting at all.

No individual threads. It's nothing like the challenges. Yes, there are rules - the rules are just about where to post and image dimensions/file sizes.

Why a uniform image canvas for everyone?
So we don't get people submitting 1500x300 pixel images stretching the forum page horizontally, while others post 300x1000 pixel images etc. One uniform canvas for everyone makes a neater presentation of all the work on the subject which will all go in the submitted works thread. And please keep the file sizes down. That's all that is.

Why 2 threads only?
Yes, there will be 2 threads ONLY in the draw club section on this. Why only two? Because I don't want the section to have so many individual threads like the Sumea challenges have. The draw club section has other threads like Sumea Pixel Town and the VS threads.. These are still ongoing, and a mass of individual threads is going to swamp the section. It's ok for the Sumea challenges since all the old challenge threads etc should be pushed off to the next page.
The first thread is where ALL OF YOU submit your work. I had this new idea where you just post ONE picture there - your latest picture. The second thread is where EVERYONE posts their progress pictures, comments, suggestions on each others work. Yes, it might be messy, but I prefer this than everyone having their own individual thread for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure how you guys exactly want this activity to be formatted - you're more than welcome to post what you're after since it is for you guys..

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/04/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

Ahhhhhhhh i understand now ... thanks for clearing that up - yeah i think thats a great way of doing it :) fully agree :)

Submitted by souri on Fri, 23/04/04 - 4:40 PM Permalink

Anyway, feel free to post a subject for the activity and get it going [:)]

Submitted by matias on Mon, 26/04/04 - 4:45 AM Permalink

ok has anyone thought of anything? perhaps we could do something with a draconian? or is that not well known enough?

Submitted by matias on Mon, 26/04/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

ok, I dont know them inside out but they're basically dragon spawned. I think they were created magically in like the distant past or something so they a like humanoid dragons almost, with the wings and the scales and the snouts, with the biting and killing! ahem... I think they come from the dargonlance realm... I'm sure someelse will be able give you a more complete run down
Anyway, you can find what he look like on the d&d pages at wizards.com (a reat resource for fontasy illos!!!)
Here is a link to a image of them on the wizards site;
[url]http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dlcs_gallery/DLCS_PG35.jpg[/url]
and here is the dragonlance gallery;
[url]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030808a[/url]
check out the different types, like Baaz, Bozak, Sivak... theres a heap and they all have diferent abilities and stuff, like one of them explodes when they die.. I can't remember which but yeah anyway, man do I have spare time or what![:p]

I am thinking tho if enough people haven't heard of them it might not be the best idea to do one....

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/04/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

ok so basicly were looking at humans crossed with dragons here. Interesting, sounds good to me (bar the fact that im probably gonna have to do scales now :( )