Skip to main content

Sumea Newbies

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

Just a quick question to all...

I've noticed that everybody on this site except myself are very experienced game developers. Are there any other game dev newbies, or is it just me?

It's just a bit daunting when I'm trying to learn all this stuff, when the rest of you are like pro's at it. Is it OK that I'm a member of this site or what?!

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:20 PM Permalink

I wouldn't worry about it, i'm a newb to game dev as well, but i've been doing art for a while.

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:31 PM Permalink

Thanks Happy Camper, it's reassuring to know that there are other newbs here.

I'm into the programming side of things, but I'm still very new to maiing games.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Hi Kane,

Welcome to Sumea. I wouldn't let being new to game dev bother you, some great work has been done by people who never get into the industry.

Its not necessarily an indication of your ability if you work in game development or just do it for a laugh, having a job just means you've been lucky enough to have your best work seen by the right people, theres lots of great talent who don't get employed.

Anyway think of all the people who can help you get better. [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

I think you'll find that there's hardly anyone with an elitist attitude on this site, and I think the people on here are very helpful overall. And besides, the site was made with the purpose of helping out newcomers. So welcome to the site.. just wipe your feet at the door [B)]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

WElcome Kane.
Being fairly new to Sumea aswell, I can tell you the folks 'round these parts are a friendly bunch, so dont be afriad to post your work :)

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:49 AM Permalink

There's plenty of people on this site who have only seen brief games making action - I've never been involved in the industry directly (I'm unfortunately a bit of an arm-chair expert sometimes). Just try to learn and pay attention to some of the people with the experience that you (and I) don't have yet.

There's alot of debate that goes on these forums, and although sometimes 'game dev newbs' are 'wrong', the industry-experts may be 'wrong' as well :)

Don't forget to bring along your own ideas/perspectives/work!

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 27/08/03 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Welcome,
I think you'll find that the majority (at least in the case of programmers) of people who regularly visit these forums are not currently employed by the industry. And then even a large percentage of these have never been employed by the industry yet. Also, game dev is an industry where you never stop learning, unless you want to be left behind. New things are always happening. New hardware, new techniques, new tools!
Good luck with your adventures into game dev'ing!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Hmmm... I'm riding on Kane's little wave. I'm a n00b, and just recently joined Sumea. The site is brilliant, certainly creates a great community. Props to webmaster(Souri i believe?). Clay sculpturing is my main hobby, tho I'm gettin' into artwork as well. Anyway, hope ppl don't find this too spammish.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:38 AM Permalink

the n00b wave! mother of god lol

in my time here i dont believe i have seen a newbie culling. but you never know- it just takes one to step out of line...
jk[B)]

welcome-. be nice and bring whatever you have to the table- and all that and im sure everyone will continue to get along [8D]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

welcome- I think there is always stuff to find out in game dev and I think everyone has there little bit to bring to the table. Even for the people which work in the industry now, still don't know it all. I myself considerer myself as some what of a newie to game dev, even at I have been doing it for 2 and a half years now.

Submitted by Scrow on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Yeah, I'm a n00b too (to Sumea and game development). Saw a promo for Sumea on the channel 7 TV show, Control Freaks, and thought I'd check the place out :) Don't have any work to show as of yet, but this will change in due time. Check out my Blog at http://gdb.blogspot.com if you're interested in how things progress for me.

I think I'll make myself comfortable here.

Submitted by anotherslave on Tue, 02/09/03 - 9:20 PM Permalink

Hey, I've been into game dev for about 9 mnths now, previously I did a lot of web stuff, I post my stuff here, in the coders section, enjoy reading everyone elses, and have never gotten flames, although nothing good either hmm...

have fun.

Submitted by Satyrblood on Tue, 02/09/03 - 9:27 PM Permalink

I'm a n00b myself. I have developed a few mods with some mates, but nothing else really formal apart from that. I'm working as a systems analyst at the moment, so it's a far cry from game dev, but it's all experience. Also reading some game related texts to enhance my knowledge. Kudos to Souri for setting up a great community that we can all grow from!

Anyway, rant aside, welcome!

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

I stumbled across this site about a month ago, great place from what I've seen, exactly what is needed for upcoming Australian talent to communicate, share experiences and hopefully get the attention of potential employers.

It's also great to see people like David Giles and Zaph posting here... hopefully they'll continue to do so and share some of their vast knowledge with members on a regular basis.

Submitted by Caroo on Mon, 22/09/03 - 4:09 AM Permalink

your not alone mate. i'm a 17 year old vitorian who want's to become a game animator and create sci-fi and fantasy games.

however with my 400mhertz IBM shitbox that's not going to be any time soon.

so for the moment i draw and wait to see if that 20,000 dollor grant from nescafe works out.

cheers mate.
( carooaussie@hotmail.com if anyone wants to talk.)

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 22/09/03 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Hey I'm pretty new to all this as well, been doing 3d for a while but this is the closest thing I've done to a game http://www.stuart.226-lab.com It's done in director and I did all of the programming and a bit of the artwork.

Glad to know there's a few more noobs here than I thought

Stu

Submitted by Ninja (not verified) on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

I only got into 3D art at the beginning of this year. Im currently studying at the AIE in Canberra (its great :D) so I'm pretty new to the whole scene. Being at the AIE helps though because I'm in amongst it all.

Yeah that's about it, I'll post some of my work when I actually get it finished :)
Craig the White Ninja :D:D
PS: Joel is smelly :P

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

welcome :)

you can post progress work.
my time here i havent posted any completed stuff (im working at changing that....). no one seems to care lol :)

Posted by Kane on
Forum

Just a quick question to all...

I've noticed that everybody on this site except myself are very experienced game developers. Are there any other game dev newbies, or is it just me?

It's just a bit daunting when I'm trying to learn all this stuff, when the rest of you are like pro's at it. Is it OK that I'm a member of this site or what?!

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:20 PM Permalink

I wouldn't worry about it, i'm a newb to game dev as well, but i've been doing art for a while.

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:31 PM Permalink

Thanks Happy Camper, it's reassuring to know that there are other newbs here.

I'm into the programming side of things, but I'm still very new to maiing games.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Hi Kane,

Welcome to Sumea. I wouldn't let being new to game dev bother you, some great work has been done by people who never get into the industry.

Its not necessarily an indication of your ability if you work in game development or just do it for a laugh, having a job just means you've been lucky enough to have your best work seen by the right people, theres lots of great talent who don't get employed.

Anyway think of all the people who can help you get better. [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

I think you'll find that there's hardly anyone with an elitist attitude on this site, and I think the people on here are very helpful overall. And besides, the site was made with the purpose of helping out newcomers. So welcome to the site.. just wipe your feet at the door [B)]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

WElcome Kane.
Being fairly new to Sumea aswell, I can tell you the folks 'round these parts are a friendly bunch, so dont be afriad to post your work :)

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:49 AM Permalink

There's plenty of people on this site who have only seen brief games making action - I've never been involved in the industry directly (I'm unfortunately a bit of an arm-chair expert sometimes). Just try to learn and pay attention to some of the people with the experience that you (and I) don't have yet.

There's alot of debate that goes on these forums, and although sometimes 'game dev newbs' are 'wrong', the industry-experts may be 'wrong' as well :)

Don't forget to bring along your own ideas/perspectives/work!

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 27/08/03 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Welcome,
I think you'll find that the majority (at least in the case of programmers) of people who regularly visit these forums are not currently employed by the industry. And then even a large percentage of these have never been employed by the industry yet. Also, game dev is an industry where you never stop learning, unless you want to be left behind. New things are always happening. New hardware, new techniques, new tools!
Good luck with your adventures into game dev'ing!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Hmmm... I'm riding on Kane's little wave. I'm a n00b, and just recently joined Sumea. The site is brilliant, certainly creates a great community. Props to webmaster(Souri i believe?). Clay sculpturing is my main hobby, tho I'm gettin' into artwork as well. Anyway, hope ppl don't find this too spammish.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:38 AM Permalink

the n00b wave! mother of god lol

in my time here i dont believe i have seen a newbie culling. but you never know- it just takes one to step out of line...
jk[B)]

welcome-. be nice and bring whatever you have to the table- and all that and im sure everyone will continue to get along [8D]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

welcome- I think there is always stuff to find out in game dev and I think everyone has there little bit to bring to the table. Even for the people which work in the industry now, still don't know it all. I myself considerer myself as some what of a newie to game dev, even at I have been doing it for 2 and a half years now.

Submitted by Scrow on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Yeah, I'm a n00b too (to Sumea and game development). Saw a promo for Sumea on the channel 7 TV show, Control Freaks, and thought I'd check the place out :) Don't have any work to show as of yet, but this will change in due time. Check out my Blog at http://gdb.blogspot.com if you're interested in how things progress for me.

I think I'll make myself comfortable here.

Submitted by anotherslave on Tue, 02/09/03 - 9:20 PM Permalink

Hey, I've been into game dev for about 9 mnths now, previously I did a lot of web stuff, I post my stuff here, in the coders section, enjoy reading everyone elses, and have never gotten flames, although nothing good either hmm...

have fun.

Submitted by Satyrblood on Tue, 02/09/03 - 9:27 PM Permalink

I'm a n00b myself. I have developed a few mods with some mates, but nothing else really formal apart from that. I'm working as a systems analyst at the moment, so it's a far cry from game dev, but it's all experience. Also reading some game related texts to enhance my knowledge. Kudos to Souri for setting up a great community that we can all grow from!

Anyway, rant aside, welcome!

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

I stumbled across this site about a month ago, great place from what I've seen, exactly what is needed for upcoming Australian talent to communicate, share experiences and hopefully get the attention of potential employers.

It's also great to see people like David Giles and Zaph posting here... hopefully they'll continue to do so and share some of their vast knowledge with members on a regular basis.

Submitted by Caroo on Mon, 22/09/03 - 4:09 AM Permalink

your not alone mate. i'm a 17 year old vitorian who want's to become a game animator and create sci-fi and fantasy games.

however with my 400mhertz IBM shitbox that's not going to be any time soon.

so for the moment i draw and wait to see if that 20,000 dollor grant from nescafe works out.

cheers mate.
( carooaussie@hotmail.com if anyone wants to talk.)

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 22/09/03 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Hey I'm pretty new to all this as well, been doing 3d for a while but this is the closest thing I've done to a game http://www.stuart.226-lab.com It's done in director and I did all of the programming and a bit of the artwork.

Glad to know there's a few more noobs here than I thought

Stu

Submitted by Ninja (not verified) on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

I only got into 3D art at the beginning of this year. Im currently studying at the AIE in Canberra (its great :D) so I'm pretty new to the whole scene. Being at the AIE helps though because I'm in amongst it all.

Yeah that's about it, I'll post some of my work when I actually get it finished :)
Craig the White Ninja :D:D
PS: Joel is smelly :P

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

welcome :)

you can post progress work.
my time here i havent posted any completed stuff (im working at changing that....). no one seems to care lol :)