Skip to main content

Feng Zhu Concept

Submitted by Falco on

I modelled this yesterday and put the lights and stuff in today. Needed to show I could do level stuff so I used some of Feng Zhu's brilliant concept art which is below the other two shots. Final tri count came out at around 11000. It wasn't that high untill I started making the big cylinder shapes in the middle, and the ladder and rails made it shoot through the roof.

This is my second level model I have made in max so I hope it looks alright, cause I dont have enough time to ad any textures before the AGDC. I will be adding more to it and texturing this when I have some free time. This is probably the last thing im gonna show before the AGDC cause my job as has rostered me on for the the next three days. Talk about bad timing.

If anyone has some suggestions please tell before monday cause this is whats going in my reel.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274219_Level_Pic.jpg…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274536_Level_Pic_wir…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274654_set_17.jpg[/i…]

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/11/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

wow man, looks like you nailed it :)
Cant really see anything to crit. What do you plan on doing with that window section? is there anything youve modelled behind that?
Great job

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 28/11/04 - 7:34 PM Permalink

Scale of depth is something I find quite off -- one of the "wow factors" in this concept is the vertical scale and depth of it (check out the people way down on the second walkway). There's a whole lot of stuff you could've saved a bundle on in the poly department and got away with zero perceptual difference by putting it through in texture, like the first and second lip from the bottom of the hanging cylindrical object.

last few things to be aware of:

- When using other peoples concepts and showing it to potential employers, always make sure you know where the concept is from. Artists beg and plead to have source art released so they can show the general public, so be aware that employers can be very iffy about any sign of stepping around that line ("If I hire them, will this person violate nda and release stuff to the public? will this person use copyrighted material?" etc etc). just saying that if it's being shown to employers you will be under that scrutiny. So know where it came from, and credit clearly on the image. Pity it's this late in the game, because I'd also say to ask for permission of use.

- If it's going into your reel Monday, asking for critique now is kind of a bit late [:)]

- be aware that putting it out last minute like this means although you haven't had much time, people looking at it don't care or know about that - they'll assume you've had all the time you've needed and this is the best product you can make in that. Just a warning of last minuteness :)

Submitted by Me109 on Sun, 28/11/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

looks good.. like JI I think the scale is well off.. the room which the machine is in... is much bigger than what yourve modelled it as, hence why it lacks a bit of depth... good effort all the same thou..

Posted by Falco on

I modelled this yesterday and put the lights and stuff in today. Needed to show I could do level stuff so I used some of Feng Zhu's brilliant concept art which is below the other two shots. Final tri count came out at around 11000. It wasn't that high untill I started making the big cylinder shapes in the middle, and the ladder and rails made it shoot through the roof.

This is my second level model I have made in max so I hope it looks alright, cause I dont have enough time to ad any textures before the AGDC. I will be adding more to it and texturing this when I have some free time. This is probably the last thing im gonna show before the AGDC cause my job as has rostered me on for the the next three days. Talk about bad timing.

If anyone has some suggestions please tell before monday cause this is whats going in my reel.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274219_Level_Pic.jpg…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274536_Level_Pic_wir…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/200411274654_set_17.jpg[/i…]

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/11/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

wow man, looks like you nailed it :)
Cant really see anything to crit. What do you plan on doing with that window section? is there anything youve modelled behind that?
Great job

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 28/11/04 - 7:34 PM Permalink

Scale of depth is something I find quite off -- one of the "wow factors" in this concept is the vertical scale and depth of it (check out the people way down on the second walkway). There's a whole lot of stuff you could've saved a bundle on in the poly department and got away with zero perceptual difference by putting it through in texture, like the first and second lip from the bottom of the hanging cylindrical object.

last few things to be aware of:

- When using other peoples concepts and showing it to potential employers, always make sure you know where the concept is from. Artists beg and plead to have source art released so they can show the general public, so be aware that employers can be very iffy about any sign of stepping around that line ("If I hire them, will this person violate nda and release stuff to the public? will this person use copyrighted material?" etc etc). just saying that if it's being shown to employers you will be under that scrutiny. So know where it came from, and credit clearly on the image. Pity it's this late in the game, because I'd also say to ask for permission of use.

- If it's going into your reel Monday, asking for critique now is kind of a bit late [:)]

- be aware that putting it out last minute like this means although you haven't had much time, people looking at it don't care or know about that - they'll assume you've had all the time you've needed and this is the best product you can make in that. Just a warning of last minuteness :)

Submitted by Me109 on Sun, 28/11/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

looks good.. like JI I think the scale is well off.. the room which the machine is in... is much bigger than what yourve modelled it as, hence why it lacks a bit of depth... good effort all the same thou..