Buy Somewhere is a Sydney-based indie studio working on its first title, a location-based multiplayer property tycoon. In our game, players choose what kind of real estate mogul they want to be, strategize around which properties to acquire, and either cooperate or compete with other players to reach their goals.
Our Lead Game Designer needs a right hand.
Do you crave the chance to take location-based games to a new level? Are you a Systems/Technical Game Designer who dreams in flowcharts and Excel sheets? If so, we need you!
We’re looking for a game designer who’s enthusiastic about the nitty-gritty of systems and balancing. You'll work on-site, prototype features and see them through all phases of development. You’ll turn the chaos of the real world into a compelling game experience, and launch a project that’ll inevitably be compared to the location-based game almost everyone has played.
As half of our design team, you will:
- - Design the game’s systems, features and monetization under the supervision and in collaboration with the Lead Game Designer
- Own pieces of the game concept and develop them from early idea to completion
- Encourage participation and feedback from the rest of the development team
- Prototype/model your designs as needed
- Work with coders and artists to integrate, test and refine your design
- Balance the systems and economy
- Write and maintain design documentation
We seek someone who has:
- - Significant experience in designing and balancing games (3+ years and/or a few titles shipped)
- Good knowledge of player motivation, game mechanics and the careful balance that makes or breaks systems
- Good understanding of in-game economy for free-to-play
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others and gain consensus on your ideas
- Ability to take feedback on board and think critically about your own work
- Analytical thinking
- Creative problem-solving skills
- - You’ve worked in free-to-play and/or mobile development before.
- You’ve developed in Unity and maybe even have scripting skills in LUA and/or XML.
- You know Confluence and Jira.
- Your Excel sheets and macros are a thing of beauty.
- Your grey boxing and UX skills are on point.
- - A place on a fully-funded, collaborative team
- Pay based on experience
- A chance to develop a game from start to years into live service
- An opportunity to grow into more responsibilities as the team expands.
- Relocation support. While Sydney-based applicants are preferred, we are open to applicants Australia-wide. You must be authorized to work in Australia as a citizen, permanent resident or current holder of a 457 visa.
Do you see yourself in this?
We’d love to get your resume at email@example.com. Please include any portfolio information, links, playable demo, videos or other content that demonstrate your skills. If those examples are from team projects, make sure to specify your role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.