Level Designer (full-time/fixed-term)
About Hipster Whale
Hipster Whale is an entirely independent Melbourne based studio, founded in 2014 by Matt Hall and Andy Sum. Hipster Whale’s first release, Crossy Road, has been downloaded more than 200 million times and was a truly global hit.
Hipster Whale have since released PAC-MAN 256 in 2015 with Bandai Namco, Disney Crossy Road in 2016 with Disney, and Piffle with Mighty Games Group in 2018.
We’re looking for a talented level designer to join the Hipster Whale team and help bring to life a really exciting project which is currently underway. Ideally, you’ll be Melbourne based and already hold a Visa allowing you to work in Australia. We’ll consider a remote position for the right candidate, and we offer flexible hours.
- - Construct, test and iterate arcade game levels
- - Help find the pace, humour, and balance of tight arcade gameplay
- - Generate new concepts and ideas to enhance the user experience
- - Analyse player feedback data to improve usability
- - Maintain an understanding of industry standards, best practices, and industry trends
- - Use creative problem solving to resolve development challenges
- - Proven working experience in the games industry
- - A portfolio showing levels which you have built. We’re particularly interested in fast-paced, arcade style gameplay but we’re also keen to see puzzle design
- - Experience working in a team environment, with strong communication skills
- - Working knowledge of Unity
- - Scripting/programming skills are great but not essential
- - Able to incorporate feedback and take/give direction well
- - A good sense of humour
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with [Name – Level Designer] in the subject line.
The email should include:
- 1. A cover letter explaining your suitability for the role
- 2. Your CV containing a link to your portfolio or reel
- 3. Please highlight 1 or 2 (max) designs which you feel best showcase your work for this particular role. A video capture of one of your levels being played is ideal.
We will do our best to respond individually to all applicants. We really look forward to seeing your work!
Applications close COB Wednesday 24 April.