Skip to main content

Moves afoot for an Australian Indy Game Dev. Conf.

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

Submitted by (Zoot)

Have you noticed that there seem to be more conferences taking place in Australia for people who write about games, censor games, and generally proclaim themselves as experts on games than there are gatherings of people who actually make games?

There is of course the AGDC, which is fine as an industry conference but it doesn't cover all the kinds of game dev. related stuff that happens outside the mainstream industry (and it costs lots of $$$$ - ouch!)

A few of us around the traps have been talking about holding an indy game developers' summit for some time and we've just found a way we might be able to get this thing off the ground funding-wise next year in Melbourne (not meaning to snub Sydney or Brisbane, it's just that's where the opportunity for this is next year)...

So we want to know before we get too carried away: would you come to something like this? If so, what would you like to see/do there? (air your opinions in the sumea general/industry forum)

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 16/08/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I would imagine from a practical perspective it'd be better to hold it near the more densely populated east/southern east coast. It's hard for some of us less-well-off to afford going to Queensland, unless there is some cheaper accomodation etc. (FYI I'm in south australia)

Submitted by souri on Sun, 17/08/03 - 5:32 AM Permalink

Zoot's already mentioned that the opportunity for it to happen next year is in Melbourne. I know he's working hard on organising it, so I hope everyone supports it when it happens!

Posted by souri on

Submitted by (Zoot)

Have you noticed that there seem to be more conferences taking place in Australia for people who write about games, censor games, and generally proclaim themselves as experts on games than there are gatherings of people who actually make games?

There is of course the AGDC, which is fine as an industry conference but it doesn't cover all the kinds of game dev. related stuff that happens outside the mainstream industry (and it costs lots of $$$$ - ouch!)

A few of us around the traps have been talking about holding an indy game developers' summit for some time and we've just found a way we might be able to get this thing off the ground funding-wise next year in Melbourne (not meaning to snub Sydney or Brisbane, it's just that's where the opportunity for this is next year)...

So we want to know before we get too carried away: would you come to something like this? If so, what would you like to see/do there? (air your opinions in the sumea general/industry forum)

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 16/08/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I would imagine from a practical perspective it'd be better to hold it near the more densely populated east/southern east coast. It's hard for some of us less-well-off to afford going to Queensland, unless there is some cheaper accomodation etc. (FYI I'm in south australia)

Submitted by souri on Sun, 17/08/03 - 5:32 AM Permalink

Zoot's already mentioned that the opportunity for it to happen next year is in Melbourne. I know he's working hard on organising it, so I hope everyone supports it when it happens!