Skip to main content

Chat about the AGDC here

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

Just a sticky thread for those who have been to the AGDC to chat and tell us all about it!!

Submitted by Shplorb on Thu, 19/12/02 - 8:50 AM Permalink

Hey all. Good article. I was disappointed with the size of the non-main rooms... they were packed and it was hard to see the front from the back. Generally I thought that the presentations were good - apart from the XBox Live one which was all marketing slime. (Okay, the voice stuff is cool)

I want a PS2 Linux kit now too (perhaps I should get a PS2 first) - that's a pretty funky architecture they've got going there, but I say that being a guy who likes low-level stuff.

Sony's party thingo was cool - for the free beer. I really shouldn't have driven after that = Oh, and everyone I've showed those rubbers to has pissed themselves laughing =] "the third place" hehehe. But damn those gamers sneaking in.

The expo was rather disappointing, except for the Alias|Wavefront stand. You actually bothered for the staff to change before taking the t-shirts? =] Heh, they were desperate to get rid of them Sunday. If the expo was bigger with more stands - maybe some acutal game companies showing off their current projects it would be good. I deliberately didn't vote for Hail mainly because it was being hyped so much it sickened me. No offence to anyone here who worked on it, but I didn't think it was anything special. That DJ game and Midtown Madness look-alike though, now they were cool! (The DJ one because it was weird, and the car one because well, it was cars and physics are hard.)

The most stupid thing about the conference was that it started so early! Crikey, does anyone here get going before 10am? =] It'd be better if it started and finished later.

So yeah, I'll be back next year... I hope that they put out those delicious choc-chip macadamia biscuits during coffee breaks again. =]

If you can't drink when you're alive, how are you going to drink when you're dead?

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 19/12/02 - 9:46 AM Permalink

I've also sent you an email Scott, but for the benefit of everyone else...

Scott did a pretty good job on the project. He came in relatively late as I mentioned. There was no documentation for my code. He got in there and experimented and got something happening on screen in 3 weeks using someone else's undocumented code, and that's pretty good in my opinion. I didn't mean to undermine his abilities at all with that post, I guess I should have taken more time to word it out properly. Sorry man.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 19/12/02 - 11:48 AM Permalink

Just a small note to the few of you complaining about the LANers "sneaking" in to the sony party, do your research before you shoot your mouth off, access to the sony party as well as seminars was part of their access pass.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by AndrewM on Thu, 19/12/02 - 3:05 PM Permalink

I'm glad that Hail didnt win the unsigned game thing, just because of how it was hyped. They had two whole booths. :-)

---------------------
Andrew McGregor
Engine programmer
Tycom Studios
andrewm@tycomstudios.com
www.tycomstudios.com
---------------------

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 20/12/02 - 9:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Actually, Rezn0r got a glimpse of it at the 'Micro Forte Big Party Night'.. I don't think they showed too much of it, from what I read in his article. Jacana, did you get a look at it too? You're a bit of a MMORPG freak, maybe you can give us some detail of it if you did. [;)]

Gah! A bit of a MMORPG freak? What ever gave you that impression *grin*

I actually didn't look at the engine for very long. There was about two pc's running it and about 30 people huddling around them.

I think Andrew got a good long look at it.

Oh yea.. Souri I am working on the article this weekend with Daemin. We should have a good one ready for you next week :)

"Yes I Code"
As found on AGDC name tag 2002

Submitted by souri on Sat, 21/12/02 - 3:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jacana

"I have been involved in beta test programs for Asheron?s Call, Shattered Galaxy, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth and Beyond, Asheron?s Call 2, and The Sims Online." ... That's quite a list there.. How did you manage to score so many betas, and how do you find the time to play them all !! [:)] You're pretty keen on MMORPGs.. are you leaning towards working for Microforte by any chance?

Excellant!.. Looking forward to the article [:)]

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 21/12/02 - 9:47 AM Permalink

MMOG's tend to be a lot more likely to have public beta's, simply because the need to do stress testing of several thousand people at once. This makes them a lot easier to get into, because they'll accept basically anyone. Personally, the only public beta tests i've seen advertised, that i can remember, have been MMOG's.
Also, due to the fact that the game ends up being a subscription-based service, there isn't so much of an issue with people just playing the beta version of the game instead of buying the final product (which obviously equates to lost revenue).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by AndrewM on Sat, 21/12/02 - 2:02 PM Permalink

I spoke to the microforte marketting guy for a fair while, altho he couldnt answer most of my questions :-P, and also one of their server programmers. It seems like pretty nice stuff.

---------------------
Andrew McGregor
Engine programmer
Tycom Studios
andrewm@tycomstudios.com
www.tycomstudios.com
---------------------

Submitted by souri on Mon, 23/12/02 - 10:37 AM Permalink

See, the thing is, you didn't listen to me.. you were supposed to get them drunk first!

Submitted by 0xDEADBEEF on Sat, 04/01/03 - 1:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

Also the Ratbag guys were the most drunk on the friday night party I'd say, they partied a lot, I heard that they were at the Barcode club till 2am on saturday night after the dinner. ;-)

And at Barcode til 6am on Friday night after the "GDC"-style party at the boat. I think we frequented that place too much.

Daniel Glastonbury, Senior Graphics Programmer, Ratbag Pty Ltd
http://www.ratbaggames.com
`Pour encourjay lays ortras'

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 04/01/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

Oh well, that's what I managed to pick up what happened from the *very* few ratbag people that were at the conference sunday morning. :-)

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 04/01/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

I'd just like to make an ammendment to my article. I've remembered that Dan Glastonbury from Ratbag made the legendary quote "once you realise you
are a device driver writer, PS2 programming is ok", not Tony Albrecht.

Let me buy you a beer at AGDC 2003 to make it up to you Dan.

As my article states, I enjoyed their lecture greatly and found it probably the most informative.

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 04/01/03 - 9:04 AM Permalink

I've replaced Tony's name with Dan's in the article.. let me know if it's ok, Scott..

Submitted by 0xDEADBEEF on Mon, 06/01/03 - 8:47 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by rezn0r

Well, if you insist. [;)]

quote:As my article states, I enjoyed their lecture greatly and found it probably the most informative.

Glad to hear you got something out of it.

Submitted by ren on Tue, 21/01/03 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Hail was actually quite cool. I realise that their stuff was based on their own tech (mine is too), but 7 months?!?!?!

Engine code
+ game code
+ varied experienced programmers
+ varied available hours to work on project (some people need to work in order to eat...)
= 7 months

If you want a more detailed explanation, just ask...

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 21/01/03 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Another thing may be the level of tools built for both projects...
Care to comment?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by ren on Thu, 23/01/03 - 1:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz

Care to comment?
CYer, Blitz

Hail required a Max exporter and packager for the characters and a Max exporter for the weapons. Modelling and animation was done in Max and level building was done in Radient.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 27/01/03 - 10:56 AM Permalink

Outclassed and outgunned. :)

Your project does sound very impressive ren (and crew), I was just being a smartie. :)))

My body of work certaintly doesn't stack up to yours atm, and I do respect your efforts.

Would you like me to eat my fist too?

mmfmf fmf frr rr rknnff?*

* Translated "Is this to your liking?"

Cheers,

Scott.

Posted by souri on

Just a sticky thread for those who have been to the AGDC to chat and tell us all about it!!

Submitted by Shplorb on Thu, 19/12/02 - 8:50 AM Permalink

Hey all. Good article. I was disappointed with the size of the non-main rooms... they were packed and it was hard to see the front from the back. Generally I thought that the presentations were good - apart from the XBox Live one which was all marketing slime. (Okay, the voice stuff is cool)

I want a PS2 Linux kit now too (perhaps I should get a PS2 first) - that's a pretty funky architecture they've got going there, but I say that being a guy who likes low-level stuff.

Sony's party thingo was cool - for the free beer. I really shouldn't have driven after that = Oh, and everyone I've showed those rubbers to has pissed themselves laughing =] "the third place" hehehe. But damn those gamers sneaking in.

The expo was rather disappointing, except for the Alias|Wavefront stand. You actually bothered for the staff to change before taking the t-shirts? =] Heh, they were desperate to get rid of them Sunday. If the expo was bigger with more stands - maybe some acutal game companies showing off their current projects it would be good. I deliberately didn't vote for Hail mainly because it was being hyped so much it sickened me. No offence to anyone here who worked on it, but I didn't think it was anything special. That DJ game and Midtown Madness look-alike though, now they were cool! (The DJ one because it was weird, and the car one because well, it was cars and physics are hard.)

The most stupid thing about the conference was that it started so early! Crikey, does anyone here get going before 10am? =] It'd be better if it started and finished later.

So yeah, I'll be back next year... I hope that they put out those delicious choc-chip macadamia biscuits during coffee breaks again. =]

If you can't drink when you're alive, how are you going to drink when you're dead?

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 19/12/02 - 9:46 AM Permalink

I've also sent you an email Scott, but for the benefit of everyone else...

Scott did a pretty good job on the project. He came in relatively late as I mentioned. There was no documentation for my code. He got in there and experimented and got something happening on screen in 3 weeks using someone else's undocumented code, and that's pretty good in my opinion. I didn't mean to undermine his abilities at all with that post, I guess I should have taken more time to word it out properly. Sorry man.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 19/12/02 - 11:48 AM Permalink

Just a small note to the few of you complaining about the LANers "sneaking" in to the sony party, do your research before you shoot your mouth off, access to the sony party as well as seminars was part of their access pass.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by AndrewM on Thu, 19/12/02 - 3:05 PM Permalink

I'm glad that Hail didnt win the unsigned game thing, just because of how it was hyped. They had two whole booths. :-)

---------------------
Andrew McGregor
Engine programmer
Tycom Studios
andrewm@tycomstudios.com
www.tycomstudios.com
---------------------

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 20/12/02 - 9:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Actually, Rezn0r got a glimpse of it at the 'Micro Forte Big Party Night'.. I don't think they showed too much of it, from what I read in his article. Jacana, did you get a look at it too? You're a bit of a MMORPG freak, maybe you can give us some detail of it if you did. [;)]

I actually didn't look at the engine for very long. There was about two pc's running it and about 30 people huddling around them.

I think Andrew got a good long look at it.

Oh yea.. Souri I am working on the article this weekend with Daemin. We should have a good one ready for you next week :)

"Yes I Code"
As found on AGDC name tag 2002

Submitted by souri on Sat, 21/12/02 - 3:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jacana

"I have been involved in beta test programs for Asheron?s Call, Shattered Galaxy, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth and Beyond, Asheron?s Call 2, and The Sims Online." ... That's quite a list there.. How did you manage to score so many betas, and how do you find the time to play them all !! [:)] You're pretty keen on MMORPGs.. are you leaning towards working for Microforte by any chance?

Excellant!.. Looking forward to the article [:)]

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 21/12/02 - 9:47 AM Permalink

MMOG's tend to be a lot more likely to have public beta's, simply because the need to do stress testing of several thousand people at once. This makes them a lot easier to get into, because they'll accept basically anyone. Personally, the only public beta tests i've seen advertised, that i can remember, have been MMOG's.
Also, due to the fact that the game ends up being a subscription-based service, there isn't so much of an issue with people just playing the beta version of the game instead of buying the final product (which obviously equates to lost revenue).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by AndrewM on Sat, 21/12/02 - 2:02 PM Permalink

I spoke to the microforte marketting guy for a fair while, altho he couldnt answer most of my questions :-P, and also one of their server programmers. It seems like pretty nice stuff.

---------------------
Andrew McGregor
Engine programmer
Tycom Studios
andrewm@tycomstudios.com
www.tycomstudios.com
---------------------

Submitted by souri on Mon, 23/12/02 - 10:37 AM Permalink

See, the thing is, you didn't listen to me.. you were supposed to get them drunk first!

Submitted by 0xDEADBEEF on Sat, 04/01/03 - 1:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

Also the Ratbag guys were the most drunk on the friday night party I'd say, they partied a lot, I heard that they were at the Barcode club till 2am on saturday night after the dinner. ;-)

And at Barcode til 6am on Friday night after the "GDC"-style party at the boat. I think we frequented that place too much.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 04/01/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

Oh well, that's what I managed to pick up what happened from the *very* few ratbag people that were at the conference sunday morning. :-)

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 04/01/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

I'd just like to make an ammendment to my article. I've remembered that Dan Glastonbury from Ratbag made the legendary quote "once you realise you
are a device driver writer, PS2 programming is ok", not Tony Albrecht.

As my article states, I enjoyed their lecture greatly and found it probably the most informative.

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 04/01/03 - 9:04 AM Permalink

I've replaced Tony's name with Dan's in the article.. let me know if it's ok, Scott..

Submitted by 0xDEADBEEF on Mon, 06/01/03 - 8:47 PM Permalink

Well, if you insist. [;)]

quote:As my article states, I enjoyed their lecture greatly and found it probably the most informative.

Glad to hear you got something out of it.

Submitted by ren on Tue, 21/01/03 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Hail was actually quite cool. I realise that their stuff was based on their own tech (mine is too), but 7 months?!?!?!

Engine code
+ game code
+ varied experienced programmers
+ varied available hours to work on project (some people need to work in order to eat...)
= 7 months

If you want a more detailed explanation, just ask...

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 21/01/03 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Care to comment?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by ren on Thu, 23/01/03 - 1:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz

Care to comment?
CYer, Blitz

Hail required a Max exporter and packager for the characters and a Max exporter for the weapons. Modelling and animation was done in Max and level building was done in Radient.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 27/01/03 - 10:56 AM Permalink

Outclassed and outgunned. :)

Your project does sound very impressive ren (and crew), I was just being a smartie. :)))

My body of work certaintly doesn't stack up to yours atm, and I do respect your efforts.

Would you like me to eat my fist too?

mmfmf fmf frr rr rknnff?*

* Translated "Is this to your liking?"

Cheers,

Scott.