Skip to main content

Next Wave Independent Game Developers' Conference

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=715"]Remember this thread from a while back[/url] on an Independant Game Developers Conference in Australia? The great news is that some hard working people are making it happen this year!!!

quote:Next Wave Independent Game Developers' Conference - Melbourne 2004

The conference will be held from the Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd of May this year at a venue in inner city Melbourne as part of the Next Wave Festival. The conference is designed to cater for indy and DIY game developers, game modders and mappers, creatively frustrated professionals, game development students, animators, and new media artists from every state in Australia. The aim of the conference is to bring together these communities in a forum that is financially reasonable (prices will be cheap and subsidies and support will be available to those who cannot afford to attend), with a programme that is developed by the communities themselves.

Programme Overview

The conference will be held over 3 days and will cover topics like:
home brew console game development; independent and online distribution methods; open source and distributed development models for games and mods; business development, publishing and licensing agreements, finance and government funding for indy development; practical skill sharing workshops - especially game art and design: mapping, level editing, character modeling; open source and low budget game engine round-up; publisher (mainstream to indy distributors) representatives will be invited to look at demos; roundtable discussions; debates on key issues facing local developers; social events; and our answer to E3: an indy game and mod expo that functions as a cross between a LAN party and trade show.

The organisers of the conference are looking for suggestions for what the programme should include and volunteers. Who and what do you want to see at this conference? If you have suggestions get involved in the forums at sumea.com.au or email:
gamers@nextwave.org.au

Until the conference website is up check the Next Wave website www.nextwave.org.au for updates.

I hope you ALL come along, because it's a conference for YOU! *YES YOU*!! And of course, if you have any suggestions, comments, ideas, be sure to post it here as well!! I know a fair few of you have voted that you'd be interested in volunteering or helping out, so be sure to let them know!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 23/05/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

ill be there tommorow, i had set myself to go on only one day and picked sunday because of the timetable a couple of pages back that said the machinima workshop would be on sunday, i just hit free-play.org and its been moved to sat(today) so ive missed it >:(

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 23/05/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Hi guys,

I went to the conference for the first day (I was the girl in a brown skirt, black skivi, a pair of heels, if anyone remembers). Anyway, I wasn't able to make it today (Sat) and I may not be able to make it tomorrow, but I've signed up for some of the workshops. If someone could cross my name off the list (Romi Jade Olive) I'd appreciate it, so that others can take my place. I was listed down for the python and Mod project workshops. Thanks

Submitted by amckern on Mon, 24/05/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Thanks sumea for the publicty of the IDGC - with out you i would not have gone!

You where thanked by all souri, and people said that sumea is the best site for australian, and new z'd land games

good work, and i hope to see you all nextyear, and some time inbetwen

amckern

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 24/05/04 - 6:44 AM Permalink

yeah i was there today and sumea was mentioned heaps and ive met a couple of people who will be cropping up on here in the next couple of days, all in all the location was a bit odd but it was a great confrence and i hope its around again next year.

Submitted by Tripitaka on Tue, 25/05/04 - 5:05 AM Permalink

Perhaps we should now start up a post-IGDC discussion topic to talk about what worked, what didn't, etc?

By the way, I had an AWESOME time at the conference. It was the best games conference I've ever attended, probably because it was focused on individual game developers and enthusiasts rather than big companies, product launches, etc. I found it really inspirational ... Sumea also got a well-deserved good rap. :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 25/05/04 - 12:18 PM Permalink

I'll start a thread on that. Would be interesting to hear everyone's opinions.

Posted by souri on

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=715"]Remember this thread from a while back[/url] on an Independant Game Developers Conference in Australia? The great news is that some hard working people are making it happen this year!!!

quote:Next Wave Independent Game Developers' Conference - Melbourne 2004

The conference will be held from the Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd of May this year at a venue in inner city Melbourne as part of the Next Wave Festival. The conference is designed to cater for indy and DIY game developers, game modders and mappers, creatively frustrated professionals, game development students, animators, and new media artists from every state in Australia. The aim of the conference is to bring together these communities in a forum that is financially reasonable (prices will be cheap and subsidies and support will be available to those who cannot afford to attend), with a programme that is developed by the communities themselves.

Programme Overview

The conference will be held over 3 days and will cover topics like:
home brew console game development; independent and online distribution methods; open source and distributed development models for games and mods; business development, publishing and licensing agreements, finance and government funding for indy development; practical skill sharing workshops - especially game art and design: mapping, level editing, character modeling; open source and low budget game engine round-up; publisher (mainstream to indy distributors) representatives will be invited to look at demos; roundtable discussions; debates on key issues facing local developers; social events; and our answer to E3: an indy game and mod expo that functions as a cross between a LAN party and trade show.

The organisers of the conference are looking for suggestions for what the programme should include and volunteers. Who and what do you want to see at this conference? If you have suggestions get involved in the forums at sumea.com.au or email:
gamers@nextwave.org.au

Until the conference website is up check the Next Wave website www.nextwave.org.au for updates.

I hope you ALL come along, because it's a conference for YOU! *YES YOU*!! And of course, if you have any suggestions, comments, ideas, be sure to post it here as well!! I know a fair few of you have voted that you'd be interested in volunteering or helping out, so be sure to let them know!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 23/05/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

ill be there tommorow, i had set myself to go on only one day and picked sunday because of the timetable a couple of pages back that said the machinima workshop would be on sunday, i just hit free-play.org and its been moved to sat(today) so ive missed it >:(

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 23/05/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Hi guys,

I went to the conference for the first day (I was the girl in a brown skirt, black skivi, a pair of heels, if anyone remembers). Anyway, I wasn't able to make it today (Sat) and I may not be able to make it tomorrow, but I've signed up for some of the workshops. If someone could cross my name off the list (Romi Jade Olive) I'd appreciate it, so that others can take my place. I was listed down for the python and Mod project workshops. Thanks

Submitted by amckern on Mon, 24/05/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Thanks sumea for the publicty of the IDGC - with out you i would not have gone!

You where thanked by all souri, and people said that sumea is the best site for australian, and new z'd land games

good work, and i hope to see you all nextyear, and some time inbetwen

amckern

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 24/05/04 - 6:44 AM Permalink

yeah i was there today and sumea was mentioned heaps and ive met a couple of people who will be cropping up on here in the next couple of days, all in all the location was a bit odd but it was a great confrence and i hope its around again next year.

Submitted by Tripitaka on Tue, 25/05/04 - 5:05 AM Permalink

Perhaps we should now start up a post-IGDC discussion topic to talk about what worked, what didn't, etc?

By the way, I had an AWESOME time at the conference. It was the best games conference I've ever attended, probably because it was focused on individual game developers and enthusiasts rather than big companies, product launches, etc. I found it really inspirational ... Sumea also got a well-deserved good rap. :)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 25/05/04 - 12:18 PM Permalink

I'll start a thread on that. Would be interesting to hear everyone's opinions.