Skip to main content

Australian & New Zealand game education

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

** UPDATE **

There is a new section up on Sumea with a listing of all the places to study game development in Australia and New Zealand. You can click on the education link at the top of the page, or here. I am currently filling in the database with information - if I have left any out, please send me

details here

At the moment, I'm only putting in entries where further information on game development courses can be directly found on the institutions website. A lot of the links below don't point to anything but the institutions main page, so they have not been added.

If you did go to any relevant game development courses, please post details/comments here, and I will add it to the list!

Oh, there's small rundown on local game-related courses at atomicmpc. Click here to read it!

Here's an article at mycareer.com.au with David Giles from the Academy of Interactive Entertainment Melbourne about Game Development Education... Read it here!

STUDENT CHECKLIST: Questions that every potential games student should ask - from the GDAA website

New South Wales

Charles Sturt University - www.csu.edu.au

University of Technology, Sydney - details at www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~ypisan

ACT

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.act.edu.au

Queensland

Qantm - www.qantm.com.au

Griffith University - www.gu.edu.au

Queensland University of Technology - www.qut.edu.au

University of Queensland - www.uq.edu.au

Melbourne

Crash-Ed - crash-ed.com

Melbourne International College - www.melbournecollege.edu.au

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.vic.edu.au (first semester starts in 2004)

La Trobe University - www.latrobe.edu.au/cs/games-tech/index.php Advanced C++ Programming News Post - Games Technology Research Lab <--- NEW ****

Monash University - www.monash.edu.au

RMIT University - www.rmit.edu.au

Swinburne University of Technology - www.swin.edu.au

South Australia

University of South Australia - www.unisa.edu.au

Tafe South Australia - game art course

Western Australia

Murdoch University - Bachelor of Science in Games Technology - www.it.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/gamestech.html

New Zealand

Media Design School - www.mediadesign.school.nz/index.cfm/Content/pSQsItOcItOlYq/Page/COURSES…

University of Otago - www.cs.otago.ac.nz/cosc360

New Zealanders! Visit the New Zealand Game Developers forum for queries on education! Definately a great resource there.

Tasmania

University of Tasmania offers a unit in Game Development in the Honours (4th) year... Visit here for details...Souri2007-07-25 11:05:58

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

hehe. yeah [:)] We had geordie for a little while aswell, until krome stole him from us [:(!]

ahwell. I think I've had my share of complaining [:)]

Submitted by Mdobele on Fri, 04/06/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Hi

I am a programmer who completed the diploma of It ( Games Dev ) at QANTM last year and is currently doing the Bach Interactive Entertainment ( Games Programming ) at QANTM this year.

I just wanted to say that at my two years at QANTM I have learnt an absolute crap load. I went from zero programming experience at the start of the diploma to now being able to confidently and successfully code c++. I have also gained skills in using a variety of engines ranging from DirectX and OpenGL through to OGRE and Auran Jet.

The best thing I feel about QANTM is that the teachers are extremely approachable. Hell I have a few of them on my MSN lists and they have always been happy to help my at 3am with a coding problem. I never would have gotten that from another UNI.

Whilst I agree that they don?t teach certain things and some subjects seem like a waste of time to me it has never stopped me from learning what I wanted to know myself and utilizing QANTM?s facilities to help me. The teachers have helped me with anything I have brought them regardless of whether they were teaching it or not.

The knowledge I have gained from the course and from learning from other students around me has been staggering to say the least. I am now confident that I will get a job at the end or failing that am confident that I could strive out on my own as an INDY developer. For that alone I have felt that the course has been a success and worth every penny.

Mdobele

Submitted by Meta on Wed, 09/06/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

I'm currently studying Yr. 11 with a pretty loose timetable, wondering whether anyone knows anywhere that offers 3d modelling/graphics/animation or whatever, perhaps a couple of hours per week contact or distance ed.? [:)]

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 09/06/04 - 9:36 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meta

I'm currently studying Yr. 11 with a pretty loose timetable, wondering whether anyone knows anywhere that offers 3d modelling/graphics/animation or whatever, perhaps a couple of hours per week contact or distance ed.? [:)]

I am not sure but I think AIE was getting internet based courses running. May be worth giving them a look.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

i know the TAFE over here in TAS offers distance ed TAFE courses in animation and modelling, it'd probably be the same where ever you are

Submitted by lsdod on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:50 AM Permalink

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.
I've just started stage 3 of a Diploma of Software Engineering at TAFE in Melbourne. Unfortunately theres absolutely no focus on games development and worse still, no c++ at all. We are learning Java and VB6, however, from what I understand I should be able to pick up C++, C# or VS.NET reasonably easy if Im confident in my Java since a lot of the concepts are much the same.

Im very keen at this stage to get into the games development side of things. my course is due to finish in Jun05, so Im wondering after that what the best options are in Melbourne as far as Games Dev goes.

I emailed the Vic Uni from the link on the prev page(or the one before that) about the course set to start in 2005. Anyone know much about this one??

What courses have others from Melbourne taken and how did they work out for you?

Also, what are the job oportunities like in Melbourne/Aus once you've finished studying? Is it mainly Indie stuff or is the Pro scene starting to pick up?

Is there currently much money in the Aus industry for programmers and such?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Any info regarding the games dev scene in Melbourne will be appreciated, thank you.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/08/04 - 7:31 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lsdod

Im very keen at this stage to get into the games development side of things. my course is due to finish in Jun05, so Im wondering after that what the best options are in Melbourne as far as Games Dev goes.

I emailed the Vic Uni from the link on the prev page(or the one before that) about the course set to start in 2005. Anyone know much about this one??

What courses have others from Melbourne taken and how did they work out for you?

Also, what are the job oportunities like in Melbourne/Aus once you've finished studying? Is it mainly Indie stuff or is the Pro scene starting to pick up?

I think it would be hard to give a good summary of game dev courses in Melbourne at the moment, as it seems most of these courses are relatively new and breaking in their first students as we speak. I think AIE Melbourne would be a decent place to study, going by the comments that David Giles has given in this thread.

For a guideline on what you could be getting as a games programmer, look up the [url="http://www.bigkid.com.au/2004/07/28/ambit_salary_survey/#more"]AMBIT GAME DEVELOPMENT SALARY SURVEY 2004[/url], posted at bigkid.com.au.
Basically, 30-45k for junior, 45-65k medium, 60-80k Senior, 60-90k Lead.

Submitted by puck on Sat, 21/08/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Hello Everyone

I've only just discovered this place and this is my very first post!

I was considering doing a 3.5 month course at Mad Academy in Fox Studios Sydney (Character Animation in 3dsmax). But it's $9500!!! Is this a complete waste of money?

I've just finished studying for 4 years (BFA hons at COFA) and have absolutely no motivation or desire to go back to Uni or tafe, so 3.5 months sounded good, until i saw the $9k price tag.
Thoughts / Comments?

Any help would be...helpful!

Thanks!

www.madacademy.com.au if you want to check it out.

Submitted by MrPenguin on Thu, 23/09/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Im almost at the end of 2nd year Double Degree at QUT (B. Info Tech / B. Creative Industries [Communication Design]).

Its tough as nails and has a very technical focus, and required an OP of 4 the year I got in (OP 4 = UAI of 92). Not sure if anyone else here is doing it, but if so, I probably know you ;).

Not sure what else to write, but would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Submitted by pheonex on Sat, 20/11/04 - 11:46 AM Permalink

hey, im doing software development (games) diploma at TAFE in brisbane, its exatly the same course as run by QANTM but without the expensive price tag, although its also without quite alot of other things (like competent teachers/ppl who set up the course).
this was the first an last year my tafe is running this course (due to unpopularity)

out of the 30 or so ppl that joined at the beginning of the year we are down to about 16 bewildered students, basically ive tought myself more that the tafe has.

we are doing c++, we spent an entire year doing one semesters worth, so i decided to teach myself directx (mmm must get back to taht some time)

in 3d modelling i began the class, as competent as any of the teachers, if not more competent,(and im not all that good either)

so go figure, i guess you get what you pay for huh.

ohh btw meta: my tafe (ithaca tafe) offers a plethora of that stuff you where looking for (and they are actually good course unlike mine)

well thats enough rubbishing for one night...

Submitted by Magna on Sun, 21/11/04 - 11:03 PM Permalink

does anyone know any courses I could do over the holdiays? I need something to do and I want to learn C++. I live o nthe north side of Brisbane and the local Tafe has nothing. It isnt really IT.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 22/11/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Hello, there is a new section up on Sumea with profiles for game development courses in Australia and New Zealand. [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/seducation.asp"]Check it out here[/url]. I'm currently filling in the database with all the places listed in this thread, but if you know of any I have missed, [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/semailpost.asp"]feel free to tell me about it[/url]..

You're encouraged to post constructive feedback and opinions (anonymously if you like) on the course as well. Just click on the University/institution for their profile, and you can post comments...

Submitted by Magna on Mon, 22/11/04 - 4:24 AM Permalink

yeh - i've been to most of those places. The OP i need isn't very high. I can now be lazy for another year :) (i am currently on track to get a 7/8 and I don't work at all - all i need is a 9-12 Ha!)

but i am looking for like a 4 week course in the holidays so I can learn some stuff and not sit at hime and be bored.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 22/11/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

Pheonex -> G?day [:)]. It sounds like your doing the same course that I did last year at Ithaca tafe, based on the QANTM curriculum. The course was supposed to be the first year held there at Ithaca (having moved from Southbank I think), and it was very unorganised. Lucky for me I went in already knowing C/C++, so for me it was easy to learn a bit about game dev, but the other students didn?t have much help with the difficult content. The 3D stuff was all entry-level, but they always claimed that it was only meant to be an introduction to 3D. A lot of what we did in 3D was just the max tutes, with a couple of net tutes ? but at least it was good having someone to answer our questions when we got stuck.

-But yeah, the 3D teachers weren?t, um, ?industry level??

What made it all worthwhile though (apart from being formally introduced to 3D) was the project at the end of the course ? we were introduced to an open source 3D engine and ?guided? in the construction of a FPS. It was mostly just figuring things out for ourselves, but our teacher was working with us every step of the way. I learnt a lot from that final project.

We went in with only 8 students, but I think there was only myself and my project partner that completed the course in the end [:P] One guy had the smarts to change over to the proper QANTM course at the start of the year. I think it?s probably worth spending the extra money to get the better education.

Though if you can only afford a cheaper course, the tafe one is okay, just as long as you?re willing to work really hard on your own steam (and teach yourself). However, I get the feeling ALL courses are like this.

Is Mathew Etherington still teaching at the Ithaca games course? He really knows his stuff.

Submitted by pheonex on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

hey palintir, yeah same course...

hehehe sounds soooo much like this year, in 3d, most our work is just scanned out of the "3d world" magazine (decent mag btw), and if its not out of that its straight out of the (very bad) text book.
and as for having teachers to asnwer questions for us, in my case im answering questions for the teachers :) great huh.

umm mathew Etherington, not one of my teachers anyhow.

yeah the course is being canned, its just that good. (man, ive got to stop bitching about this course)

oh hey magna?- the best way (and cheapest) to learn c++ is go down to "the all american book store" in the city and buy yourself a text book (if not a couple) (thumb thru them before you buy, there can be quite a few duds out there), yeah buy some textbooks, get a compiler (if you dont wanna pay, theres lots of free ones on the net) and off you go, if you strike a problem, i guess there are plenty of ppl here that would help you (i think??).... i think they call this method self paced learning ;)

Submitted by xyz on Sat, 25/12/04 - 2:09 AM Permalink

sounds good if you have the cash. all this stuff really is not
that hard when you think about it. It is just practise and
working around the software. you have the conceptual skills
and 3months really full on is better than crap university imo.

I went to viscom at UTS a few years back, I have been in the
graphic design industry for 2years, and hate it. I would
either go to mad, or aie in melbourne -1year art-.
But 3months is better
for me as I need to eat and get a new job asap.

//Hello Everyone

I was considering doing a 3.5 month course at Mad Academy in Fox Studios Sydney (Character Animation in 3dsmax). But it's $9500!!! Is this a complete waste of money?

I've just finished studying for 4 years (BFA hons at COFA) and have absolutely no motivation or desire to go back to Uni or tafe, so 3.5 months sounded good, until i saw the $9k price tag.
Thoughts / Comments?

Thanks!

Submitted by noktoe on Thu, 02/06/05 - 10:15 AM Permalink

JMC Academy - digital media and 3d animation (Sydney)

any1 heard of or attended there before?
What?s there rep?

Submitted by spudbog on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Just to throw in my two cents, i would say a good place to study, well I can only take about the 3d side is the Canberra AIE.
Each year they always get better.
the tutors/teachers know there stuff.

Submitted by Rohan on Wed, 28/12/05 - 11:16 PM Permalink

I'm going to TAFE at Hornsby for 2 years, I'll come out with a Diploma of Software Development in Games (http://infotech.hornsby.tafensw.edu.au/CourseDetails2.aspx?course_no=75…). That then leads on to the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) for another 2 years (or more [;)]) and that gets me a Bachelor of Science (Games)

I'm amazed I even found it - it's an absolute live-saver too as I didn't want to waste 4 years doing something I wasn't interested in (I think I'm eligible for UTS's Bachelor of IT, but it just doesn't interest me [:I]). I figured anyone else in the Sydney area may also be interested in it. There's no entry requirements as such other than finishing Year 12 - you just have to turn up at Hornsby TAFE on the 30th of January and put your name down - first come, first served basis.

Btw, Hornsby TAFE is quite well respected by the industry I think - they have lots of contacts... I saw a rather big poster on the wall of all their sponsers. Discreet, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia etc. Heck, you can pay around $50 or something and get full legal versions of everything you need for the course [8D] That includes a lot of MS stuff (VS .Net) and even apps like 3D Studio MAX.

Anyway... On a side note anyone else here from Sydney? I have MSN if you want to chat [8D]

Submitted by amckern on Thu, 02/02/06 - 6:48 AM Permalink

I'm also going to Hornsby - my old classmate from north Sydney informed me yesterday about 7510.

Good luck to all those that will be in the 4 classes (from what I understand there are still places in the 4th class)

This will be my first formal look at games dev, even though I have been doing mods for a long time, and just started doing commercial work on the side.

If class time allows, I?ll also be offering my self up to any team that needs a casual optimisations programmer for there engine, or tools (c++ only please).

Submitted by the geeves on Sat, 04/03/06 - 1:02 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Rohan

I'm going to TAFE at Hornsby for 2 years, I'll come out with a Diploma of Software Development in Games (http://infotech.hornsby.tafensw.edu.au/CourseDetails2.aspx?course_no=75…). That then leads on to the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) for another 2 years (or more [;)]) and that gets me a Bachelor of Science (Games)

I'm amazed I even found it - it's an absolute live-saver too as I didn't want to waste 4 years doing something I wasn't interested in (I think I'm eligible for UTS's Bachelor of IT, but it just doesn't interest me [:I]). I figured anyone else in the Sydney area may also be interested in it. There's no entry requirements as such other than finishing Year 12 - you just have to turn up at Hornsby TAFE on the 30th of January and put your name down - first come, first served basis.

Btw, Hornsby TAFE is quite well respected by the industry I think - they have lots of contacts... I saw a rather big poster on the wall of all their sponsers. Discreet, Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia etc. Heck, you can pay around $50 or something and get full legal versions of everything you need for the course [8D] That includes a lot of MS stuff (VS .Net) and even apps like 3D Studio MAX.

Anyway... On a side note anyone else here from Sydney? I have MSN if you want to chat [8D]

Sounds pretty dodgy to me. Are you sure they're not 30-day demos? Discreet/Austodesk has been pushing student licenses for a long time now. If they are indeed full license you may find that you already paid for them in your fees.

As for industry contacts, a poster does not make an industry contact. And the contacts should be games and digital media companies, not Adobe or Autodesk.

A little bird was telling me about these NSW tafe teachers at AGDC that hadn't taught C++ before and had to learn Maya in 3 months before the course started........very impressive.

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 04/03/06 - 1:39 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by the_geeves
A little bird was telling me about these NSW tafe teachers at AGDC that hadn't taught C++ before and had to learn Maya in 3 months before the course started........very impressive.

Well that sure as hell beats the people who ran the AGDC failing to provide a programming teacher at all...

I am quite serious about that, and it's easily verified.

Submitted by KamoKid on Sat, 04/03/06 - 2:58 AM Permalink

Hey, i went to AIE last year.

i learned tonnes of stuff from people that knew what they were talking about, and that actually had experience within the industry. i even landed some intern experience within an actual games developes ( not a start-up, but a fully established place ).

AIE allowed me to lands a games industry job even before i finished my course.

i had no problem with the Academy or the teachers; which is not something i can say about some of the other educational institutions ive seen.

anyway, cheers.
KamoKid

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 04/03/06 - 5:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by KamoKid
i had no problem with the Academy or the teachers; which is not something i can say about some of the other educational institutions ive seen.

Melbourne or Canberra?

Glad things have improved, just if someone starts mentioning rumours coming from the AGDC about dodgyness in an institution it needs to be pointed out that the people/company who owned and ran that conference have had just a few issues themselves.

Submitted by BrotherEstapol on Fri, 10/03/06 - 1:08 PM Permalink

AIE is fine, I learnt heaps in my 2 and a half years there, having been taught by most the tutors over my time there.
Totally worth the money.(and cheaper than Uni as well)
Considering that(as far as I know) the main staff members there have been the same for quite a few years now, I can't see why you're criticizing them so much lorien...no complaints from any of the ex-students I've talked with, mainly praise towards the place.

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 11/03/06 - 1:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by BrotherEstapol

AIE is fine, I learnt heaps in my 2 and a half years there, having been taught by most the tutors over my time there.
Considering that(as far as I know) the main staff members there have been the same for quite a few years now, I can't see why you're criticizing them so much lorien...no complaints from any of the ex-students I've talked with, mainly praise towards the place.

Maybe try privately talking to some students from a while back. Like Sorceror Bob or Entr0py on sumea. There are plenty I've talked with that wish they'd never enrolled (myself included). I don't know what they are like now as a training facility, I know what they were like, and things like letting their own games students in for free at their own conference while making it more expensive for students from everywhere else remind me very strongly of my time there.

I find these sorts of rumours coming from a conference owned and run by one institution to be very sus. Sure I don't know who that "Little birdy" was, but I do know who those comments coming from a Little birdy at that conference could/would benefit.

Submitted by Neilb on Mon, 13/03/06 - 11:04 PM Permalink

Some also might question continual negative comments coming from someone who is "Acting Head of Games Technology" at an competing institution. Who do your comments benefit?

Continually raising long-dead issues when you acknowledge that quote:I don't know what they are like now as a training facility, I know what they were like leads me to question your motives for doing so. For every student you can name who is not happy I could probably find 20 that are like BrotherEstapol. AIE is very proud of what we do and have won "ACT Best Small RTO of the Year" twice, last year making it through the finals to be one of top the three Small RTO's in Australia.

Posted by souri on

** UPDATE **

There is a new section up on Sumea with a listing of all the places to study game development in Australia and New Zealand. You can click on the education link at the top of the page, or here. I am currently filling in the database with information - if I have left any out, please send me

details here

At the moment, I'm only putting in entries where further information on game development courses can be directly found on the institutions website. A lot of the links below don't point to anything but the institutions main page, so they have not been added.

If you did go to any relevant game development courses, please post details/comments here, and I will add it to the list!

Oh, there's small rundown on local game-related courses at atomicmpc. Click here to read it!

Here's an article at mycareer.com.au with David Giles from the Academy of Interactive Entertainment Melbourne about Game Development Education... Read it here!

STUDENT CHECKLIST: Questions that every potential games student should ask - from the GDAA website

New South Wales

Charles Sturt University - www.csu.edu.au

University of Technology, Sydney - details at www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~ypisan

ACT

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.act.edu.au

Queensland

Qantm - www.qantm.com.au

Griffith University - www.gu.edu.au

Queensland University of Technology - www.qut.edu.au

University of Queensland - www.uq.edu.au

Melbourne

Crash-Ed - crash-ed.com

Melbourne International College - www.melbournecollege.edu.au

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.vic.edu.au (first semester starts in 2004)

La Trobe University - www.latrobe.edu.au/cs/games-tech/index.php Advanced C++ Programming News Post - Games Technology Research Lab <--- NEW ****

Monash University - www.monash.edu.au

RMIT University - www.rmit.edu.au

Swinburne University of Technology - www.swin.edu.au

South Australia

University of South Australia - www.unisa.edu.au

Tafe South Australia - game art course

Western Australia

Murdoch University - Bachelor of Science in Games Technology - www.it.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/gamestech.html

New Zealand

Media Design School - www.mediadesign.school.nz/index.cfm/Content/pSQsItOcItOlYq/Page/COURSES…

University of Otago - www.cs.otago.ac.nz/cosc360

New Zealanders! Visit the New Zealand Game Developers forum for queries on education! Definately a great resource there.

Tasmania

University of Tasmania offers a unit in Game Development in the Honours (4th) year... Visit here for details...Souri2007-07-25 11:05:58

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

hehe. yeah [:)] We had geordie for a little while aswell, until krome stole him from us [:(!]

ahwell. I think I've had my share of complaining [:)]

Submitted by Mdobele on Fri, 04/06/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Hi

I am a programmer who completed the diploma of It ( Games Dev ) at QANTM last year and is currently doing the Bach Interactive Entertainment ( Games Programming ) at QANTM this year.

I just wanted to say that at my two years at QANTM I have learnt an absolute crap load. I went from zero programming experience at the start of the diploma to now being able to confidently and successfully code c++. I have also gained skills in using a variety of engines ranging from DirectX and OpenGL through to OGRE and Auran Jet.

The best thing I feel about QANTM is that the teachers are extremely approachable. Hell I have a few of them on my MSN lists and they have always been happy to help my at 3am with a coding problem. I never would have gotten that from another UNI.

Whilst I agree that they don?t teach certain things and some subjects seem like a waste of time to me it has never stopped me from learning what I wanted to know myself and utilizing QANTM?s facilities to help me. The teachers have helped me with anything I have brought them regardless of whether they were teaching it or not.

The knowledge I have gained from the course and from learning from other students around me has been staggering to say the least. I am now confident that I will get a job at the end or failing that am confident that I could strive out on my own as an INDY developer. For that alone I have felt that the course has been a success and worth every penny.

Mdobele

Submitted by Meta on Wed, 09/06/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 09/06/04 - 9:36 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meta

I am not sure but I think AIE was getting internet based courses running. May be worth giving them a look.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

i know the TAFE over here in TAS offers distance ed TAFE courses in animation and modelling, it'd probably be the same where ever you are

Submitted by lsdod on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:50 AM Permalink

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.
I've just started stage 3 of a Diploma of Software Engineering at TAFE in Melbourne. Unfortunately theres absolutely no focus on games development and worse still, no c++ at all. We are learning Java and VB6, however, from what I understand I should be able to pick up C++, C# or VS.NET reasonably easy if Im confident in my Java since a lot of the concepts are much the same.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Any info regarding the games dev scene in Melbourne will be appreciated, thank you.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/08/04 - 7:31 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lsdod

I think it would be hard to give a good summary of game dev courses in Melbourne at the moment, as it seems most of these courses are relatively new and breaking in their first students as we speak. I think AIE Melbourne would be a decent place to study, going by the comments that David Giles has given in this thread.

For a guideline on what you could be getting as a games programmer, look up the [url="http://www.bigkid.com.au/2004/07/28/ambit_salary_survey/#more"]AMBIT GAME DEVELOPMENT SALARY SURVEY 2004[/url], posted at bigkid.com.au.
Basically, 30-45k for junior, 45-65k medium, 60-80k Senior, 60-90k Lead.

Submitted by puck on Sat, 21/08/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Hello Everyone

Thoughts / Comments?

Thanks!

www.madacademy.com.au if you want to check it out.

Submitted by MrPenguin on Thu, 23/09/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Im almost at the end of 2nd year Double Degree at QUT (B. Info Tech / B. Creative Industries [Communication Design]).

Its tough as nails and has a very technical focus, and required an OP of 4 the year I got in (OP 4 = UAI of 92). Not sure if anyone else here is doing it, but if so, I probably know you ;).

Not sure what else to write, but would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Submitted by pheonex on Sat, 20/11/04 - 11:46 AM Permalink

hey, im doing software development (games) diploma at TAFE in brisbane, its exatly the same course as run by QANTM but without the expensive price tag, although its also without quite alot of other things (like competent teachers/ppl who set up the course).
this was the first an last year my tafe is running this course (due to unpopularity)

out of the 30 or so ppl that joined at the beginning of the year we are down to about 16 bewildered students, basically ive tought myself more that the tafe has.

we are doing c++, we spent an entire year doing one semesters worth, so i decided to teach myself directx (mmm must get back to taht some time)

in 3d modelling i began the class, as competent as any of the teachers, if not more competent,(and im not all that good either)

so go figure, i guess you get what you pay for huh.

ohh btw meta: my tafe (ithaca tafe) offers a plethora of that stuff you where looking for (and they are actually good course unlike mine)

well thats enough rubbishing for one night...

Submitted by Magna on Sun, 21/11/04 - 11:03 PM Permalink

does anyone know any courses I could do over the holdiays? I need something to do and I want to learn C++. I live o nthe north side of Brisbane and the local Tafe has nothing. It isnt really IT.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 22/11/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

Hello, there is a new section up on Sumea with profiles for game development courses in Australia and New Zealand. [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/seducation.asp"]Check it out here[/url]. I'm currently filling in the database with all the places listed in this thread, but if you know of any I have missed, [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/semailpost.asp"]feel free to tell me about it[/url]..

You're encouraged to post constructive feedback and opinions (anonymously if you like) on the course as well. Just click on the University/institution for their profile, and you can post comments...

Submitted by Magna on Mon, 22/11/04 - 4:24 AM Permalink

yeh - i've been to most of those places. The OP i need isn't very high. I can now be lazy for another year :) (i am currently on track to get a 7/8 and I don't work at all - all i need is a 9-12 Ha!)

but i am looking for like a 4 week course in the holidays so I can learn some stuff and not sit at hime and be bored.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 22/11/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

Pheonex -> G?day [:)]. It sounds like your doing the same course that I did last year at Ithaca tafe, based on the QANTM curriculum. The course was supposed to be the first year held there at Ithaca (having moved from Southbank I think), and it was very unorganised. Lucky for me I went in already knowing C/C++, so for me it was easy to learn a bit about game dev, but the other students didn?t have much help with the difficult content. The 3D stuff was all entry-level, but they always claimed that it was only meant to be an introduction to 3D. A lot of what we did in 3D was just the max tutes, with a couple of net tutes ? but at least it was good having someone to answer our questions when we got stuck.

-But yeah, the 3D teachers weren?t, um, ?industry level??

What made it all worthwhile though (apart from being formally introduced to 3D) was the project at the end of the course ? we were introduced to an open source 3D engine and ?guided? in the construction of a FPS. It was mostly just figuring things out for ourselves, but our teacher was working with us every step of the way. I learnt a lot from that final project.

We went in with only 8 students, but I think there was only myself and my project partner that completed the course in the end [:P] One guy had the smarts to change over to the proper QANTM course at the start of the year. I think it?s probably worth spending the extra money to get the better education.

Though if you can only afford a cheaper course, the tafe one is okay, just as long as you?re willing to work really hard on your own steam (and teach yourself). However, I get the feeling ALL courses are like this.

Is Mathew Etherington still teaching at the Ithaca games course? He really knows his stuff.

Submitted by pheonex on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

hey palintir, yeah same course...

hehehe sounds soooo much like this year, in 3d, most our work is just scanned out of the "3d world" magazine (decent mag btw), and if its not out of that its straight out of the (very bad) text book.
and as for having teachers to asnwer questions for us, in my case im answering questions for the teachers :) great huh.

umm mathew Etherington, not one of my teachers anyhow.

yeah the course is being canned, its just that good. (man, ive got to stop bitching about this course)

oh hey magna?- the best way (and cheapest) to learn c++ is go down to "the all american book store" in the city and buy yourself a text book (if not a couple) (thumb thru them before you buy, there can be quite a few duds out there), yeah buy some textbooks, get a compiler (if you dont wanna pay, theres lots of free ones on the net) and off you go, if you strike a problem, i guess there are plenty of ppl here that would help you (i think??).... i think they call this method self paced learning ;)

Submitted by xyz on Sat, 25/12/04 - 2:09 AM Permalink

sounds good if you have the cash. all this stuff really is not
that hard when you think about it. It is just practise and
working around the software. you have the conceptual skills
and 3months really full on is better than crap university imo.

I went to viscom at UTS a few years back, I have been in the
graphic design industry for 2years, and hate it. I would
either go to mad, or aie in melbourne -1year art-.
But 3months is better
for me as I need to eat and get a new job asap.

//Hello Everyone

Thoughts / Comments?

Thanks!

Submitted by noktoe on Thu, 02/06/05 - 10:15 AM Permalink

JMC Academy - digital media and 3d animation (Sydney)

any1 heard of or attended there before?
What?s there rep?

Submitted by spudbog on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Just to throw in my two cents, i would say a good place to study, well I can only take about the 3d side is the Canberra AIE.
Each year they always get better.
the tutors/teachers know there stuff.

Submitted by Rohan on Wed, 28/12/05 - 11:16 PM Permalink

Submitted by amckern on Thu, 02/02/06 - 6:48 AM Permalink

I'm also going to Hornsby - my old classmate from north Sydney informed me yesterday about 7510.

Good luck to all those that will be in the 4 classes (from what I understand there are still places in the 4th class)

This will be my first formal look at games dev, even though I have been doing mods for a long time, and just started doing commercial work on the side.

If class time allows, I?ll also be offering my self up to any team that needs a casual optimisations programmer for there engine, or tools (c++ only please).

Submitted by the geeves on Sat, 04/03/06 - 1:02 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Rohan

Sounds pretty dodgy to me. Are you sure they're not 30-day demos? Discreet/Austodesk has been pushing student licenses for a long time now. If they are indeed full license you may find that you already paid for them in your fees.

As for industry contacts, a poster does not make an industry contact. And the contacts should be games and digital media companies, not Adobe or Autodesk.

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 04/03/06 - 1:39 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by the_geeves

Well that sure as hell beats the people who ran the AGDC failing to provide a programming teacher at all...

I am quite serious about that, and it's easily verified.

Submitted by KamoKid on Sat, 04/03/06 - 2:58 AM Permalink

Hey, i went to AIE last year.

i learned tonnes of stuff from people that knew what they were talking about, and that actually had experience within the industry. i even landed some intern experience within an actual games developes ( not a start-up, but a fully established place ).

AIE allowed me to lands a games industry job even before i finished my course.

anyway, cheers.
KamoKid

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 04/03/06 - 5:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by KamoKid

Melbourne or Canberra?

Glad things have improved, just if someone starts mentioning rumours coming from the AGDC about dodgyness in an institution it needs to be pointed out that the people/company who owned and ran that conference have had just a few issues themselves.

Submitted by BrotherEstapol on Fri, 10/03/06 - 1:08 PM Permalink

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 11/03/06 - 1:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by BrotherEstapol

Maybe try privately talking to some students from a while back. Like Sorceror Bob or Entr0py on sumea. There are plenty I've talked with that wish they'd never enrolled (myself included). I don't know what they are like now as a training facility, I know what they were like, and things like letting their own games students in for free at their own conference while making it more expensive for students from everywhere else remind me very strongly of my time there.

I find these sorts of rumours coming from a conference owned and run by one institution to be very sus. Sure I don't know who that "Little birdy" was, but I do know who those comments coming from a Little birdy at that conference could/would benefit.

Submitted by Neilb on Mon, 13/03/06 - 11:04 PM Permalink

Some also might question continual negative comments coming from someone who is "Acting Head of Games Technology" at an competing institution. Who do your comments benefit?

Continually raising long-dead issues when you acknowledge that quote:I don't know what they are like now as a training facility, I know what they were like leads me to question your motives for doing so. For every student you can name who is not happy I could probably find 20 that are like BrotherEstapol. AIE is very proud of what we do and have won "ACT Best Small RTO of the Year" twice, last year making it through the finals to be one of top the three Small RTO's in Australia.