Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onTuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 4:55 PM
We are Grinding Gear Games, BAFTA winners and creator/developer of the Path of Exile series, a dark and gritty ARPG. We’re growing and seek a Lighting Artist to join us in Henderson, Auckland to create atmospheric rooms, levels and lighting for Path of Exile.
Location: Onsite in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
- Use artistic and technical skills to create game-play and in-game cinematic lighting, maintaining a consistent aesthetic across your work in all the areas in the game and related material, like trailers.
- Take direction from the Art Director and Lighting Lead
- Ensure your lighting assets meet runtime and disk budgeting requirements.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, especially Environment, Animation, VFX and production.
- Work in and maintain an efficient organisational structure for all lighting assets.
- Be aware of project/task schedules and deliver work to deadlines
- Attend regular team meetings, providing updated status and progress of your deliverables.
- 1 year minimum experience in a professional video game studio production pipeline.
- A firm grasp of colour, materials and light as it relates to level design and lighting in games.
- Experience with level or room creation in games.
- Understanding how to create efficient and impactful lighting that enhances narratives.
- Working knowledge of Maya and real-time game authoring environments like the Path of Exile hideout creation tool.
- Passion and ability to light realistic, ‘dark and gritty’ visually appealing scenes and environments like dungeons and ancient ruins.
- Good understanding of lighting fundamentals.
- Sound knowledge of colour theory and a strong sense of light and shadow.
- Sound technical skills and highly organised
- Ability to take constructive criticism and maintain a professional attitude.
- Proactive and self-reliant with good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to work within a team environment
- An avid gamer, experienced with Path Of Exile and its dark and gritty themes
- Photography enthusiast/hobbyist
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent art/photography portfolio
- Experience leading and/or mentoring
- TD skills
Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
Must be willing to complete a lighting test if requested to do so.
Who can apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are legally permitted to work in New Zealand or if you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident willing to relocate to Auckland when travel restrictions ease, we want to hear from you!
* Note: No VISA sponsorships offered
Covid-19 hiring policy:
Some roles can expect to begin as remote positions, but our expectation is for you to join us in Auckland as travel restrictions ease.
*Long-term remote considered for very senior artists/animators with exceptional portfolios/reels only.
How to apply:
Send us an email with a cover letter and your CV including link/s to your portfolio/reel (whichever is relevant to the role you are applying for).
Email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name + position you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.