Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onWednesday, 25 August, 2021 - 3:54 PM
We are Grinding Gear Games, creator of Path of Exile, the award-winning Online Action RPG. We're a studio of 160 world-class developers based in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand and we're expanding! We’re growing and seek an experienced Materials Artist to join us in our studio in Auckland, New Zealand
Location: Onsite in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (if needed)
- Create high-quality work using a variety of software programs
- Maintain a consistent aesthetic across your work in the game and related mediums such as trailers and web
- Collaborate across disciplines sharing ideas and articulating visions.
- Show initiative, push ideas and innovate within your duties
- Be aware of project/task schedules and be capable of delivering work to deadlines
- Take direction from the Art Director, Creative Director and engage with Producers
- Attend regular team meetings, providing updated status and progress of your deliverables.
- Experience as a Materials Artist
- 5 years experience as a 3D Art Generalist or Environment Artist in a professional AAA video games or cinematics, animation or VFX studios
- Solid grasp of colour and other physical material properties as they relate to games
- Proficient at creating both stylized and PBR materials using Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Photoshop
- Expert knowledge in node-based material editors, tiling layered materials, shader networks and procedural texturing.
- You are inspired by growth and excellence and thrive on sharing your knowledge with your teammates while continually honing your craft.
- Iterating, communicating and creating together is what drives your passion for art and games.
- Knowledgeable in the key professional tools, techniques and asset creation pipelines: Maya, Zbrush, game engine (eg UE/Unity/proprietary), Marvelous Designer, modeling, baking, texturing, UV creation, unwrapping.
- Proactive and self-reliant with good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to in a team environment
- Kickass portfolio showcasing your Environment assets as well as your ability to create and apply high-quality materials to assets.
- An avid gamer that has a deep understanding of our game Path of Exile and its themes
- Experience working in the game industry highly regarded
- Experience leading and/or mentoring
- A traditional arts background and/or a BA in Fine Art or 3D/Game Art
- TD skills
Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so.
Who can apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are legally permitted to work in New Zealand or if you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident willing to relocate to Auckland when travel restrictions ease, we want to hear from you!
* Note: No VISA sponsorships offered
Covid-19 hiring policy:
Some roles can expect to begin as remote positions, but our expectation is for you to join us in Auckland as travel restrictions ease.
*Long-term remote considered for very senior artists/animators with exceptional portfolios/reels only.
How to apply:
Send us an email with a cover letter and your CV including link/s to your portfolio/reel (whichever is relevant to the role you are applying for).
Email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with your name + position you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.