Authored onTuesday, 14 September, 2021 - 5:10 PM
We're looking for a talented concept artist to join us as a member of the team at the very heart of our creation process, uniquely responsible for developing and guiding the execution of our unique aesthetic signature.
You’ll bring your exceptional creativity and technical skills together to create inspiring concepts of environments, production props, characters and assets for the broader team, that also communicate the game’s visual direction and deliver on technical and design objectives. Above all, your attention to detail, understanding of visual storytelling and vivid imagination will contribute to the team's objectives in creating a videogame and universe players have never experienced before.
As two-time Australian Studio of the Year, we are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world, with a genuine focus on well being, skill development, and the correct ratio of pot plants to humans. So if you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios on two brand new, exciting PC/console projects, we'd love to hear from you!
Note: This role is available either on a full-time ongoing basis, or a 1-2 year remote contract position.
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- You have a strong creative spirit, that enjoys imagining and working with wild, and sometimes chaotic, game concepts.
- A love of visualising game assets - creatures, environments, items and vehicles, among many wild things!
- Strong understanding and knowledge of light, value, colour, composition, anatomy, use of detail, and visual storytelling.
- Digital illustration skills with a high proficiency in role-relevant software/tools such as Photoshop.
- High degree of organic, anatomical and architectural knowledge.
- The ability to adapt and apply yourself to differing art styles and requirements.
- Strong desire to work closely with the game director and design to ensure the game's art improves the player experience.
- Detail sensitivity, a proven aesthetic eye and strong design sensibilities.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- Create mood paintings, color studies, and lighting keys to inform and inspire artists and level designers.
- Create illustration work that promotes ideas and enrolls others into our unique artistic vision.
- Create highly imaginative environment and prop concepts that inspire your team.
- Produce environment concept art and in-game mock ups, focusing particularly on lighting and post effects.
- Conceptualise, design and help create in-game visual effects.
- Effectively document and communicate complex visual intentions and specifications to the broader team.
- Iterate on game assets with level designers and 3D artists via paint overs and direct feedback.
- Coordinate with the art, design and production leads to help accomplish project goals.
- Work with the art director to maintain and promote a consistent aesthetic style.
- Partner with other artists, designers, engineers and production to collaborate on creatively complex problems.
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise.
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team.
- Weekly bring-your-dog-to-work day on Monday. Yeah, dogs!
- Talent development, mentorship and support.
- Regular self-directed professional development days.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Menstrual, Menopause and Parental leave.
- Sustainable working hours, environment and life-work balance.
- Friday afternoon team social events.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and Melbourne Games Week party.
- Located in The Arcade, one of the world’s first videogame co-working spaces.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
For general questions and inquiries, please get in touch with careers (at) leagueofgeeks (dot) com.