Authored byBig Ant Studios
Authored onWednesday, 6 April, 2022 - 11:25 AM
Join Big Ant Studios as a Game Designer and be part of making some of console and mobiles’ biggest sports titles from our centrally located Melbourne studio. Working as part of a collaborative team, your input will impact the design of current and future titles. You will use your understanding and passion for designing player first experiences to add to the creative execution and business success of the team.
We encourage applications and enquiries from women and underrepresented developers.
About the role
• Designing, prototyping, and iterating on game systems and features in line with existing documentation.
• Communicate new design ideas to the wider team for feedback and implementation.
• Participate in discussions around developing game designs with the wider design team.
• Collaborate with multi-disciplined teams including product, UI/UX design, audio, artists, and programmers to define, design and implement fun and innovative gameplay.
• Work with the Senior Game Designer, Product Manager and Creative Director in creating and iterating on game designs based around data received from players during live ops.
• Work with design leadership to help form the direction for the game area or game and ensuring that designs follow the product vision.
• Design complex systems and tune them for specific goals.
• Inspire and motivate the team to achieve high-quality results within constraints.
• Take a holistic approach to quality and delivery to ensure that the feature set and corresponding execution creates the best possible product.
• Identify problems and opportunities and ideate to identify interesting solutions
• Investigate and analyse to validate ideas and opportunities.
• Create designs that target specific product metrics and gamer motivations.
• 3+ years’ experience within the games industry in a design or related role.
• Experience shipping at least 1 commercial title, either in Console or Mobile.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Outstanding collaboration skills, great at working in a team and independently.
• Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition.
• A strong passion for creating and playing video games.
• Appreciation and understanding of a range of sports, including but not limited to, cricket, tennis, and AFL.
• Experience of mentoring other designers and providing insightful feedback on design efforts.
• Experience of console/ AAA game development.
• Proactive and able to own design areas from initial creation through to implementation.
• Understand how to use the business model of the game, and how design and the business model work together.
• Understand why an idea will or won't work, and how to design to hit specific goals.
Founded in 2001, Big Ant Studios in one of Australia’s most established game development studios. With a focus on sports titles, the team is based in City Road, Southbank and employee perks include daily lunches, beer and pizza Fridays and professional development support.