Authored byWicked Witch
Authored onTuesday, 19 July, 2022 - 9:11 AM
Fresh from our recent acquisition by Keywords Australia, we are scouring the skies across Australia and beyond for the most talented developers to join us!
At Wicked Witch you’ll be part of a culture that celebrates diversity in people and games, whilst working on some of the highest profile Console and PC titles in the world.
As part of our expansion, we are looking for a talented and well-rounded Game Designer who is passionate and knowledgeable over a diverse range of game genres and platforms. You’ll join a multidisciplinary production team and work with multiple game development teams to craft exceptional ideas and concise design documentation. You’ll be proven in your field, with the ability to guide a product along the development process and help bring the game together holistically to ensure it meets the needs of the studio and consumers.
As a Game Designer, you’ll need to grow and share knowledge from your specialised field while drawing upon a versatile and multifaceted game design skill set. You will also strive to ensure the gameplay design of every product is true to vision and that the game adheres to Wicked Witch’s and external parties design philosophy.
We are an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and welcomes candidates from all of society. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all Wicked Witchers.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working as a Junior or Mid Designer in the video game industry in medium / larger teams on high quality PC or console titles.
- Proven track record of shipped titles both internal and external.
- Ability to show examples of thought-out design in prior work
- The ability to think both logically and creatively whilst being well organised.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent writing and documentation skills with the ability to create well written / presented design documents that convey information very concisely and succinctly.
- Mastery of core game design principles. All-round design skills, that cover all the bases with growing knowledge of an area of expertise.
- Presentation skills and the ability to communicate, convey, exchange and gather ideas with others.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing exceptional design on your projects to create a fun and engaging experience.
- Working proactively with high level goals from the Lead Designer.
- Working alongside the other design team members in a professional manner. And providing thoughts on improvements to all projects, studio wide.
- Confidently contributing and gathering ideas from the team, ensuring that designs follow the product vision.
- Designing and documenting game systems that communicate concepts concisely and with clarity.
- Communicating game features with the team and clients, taking feedback onboard, to ensure game features are fully understood and backed by all stakeholders.
- Taking a holistic approach to feature scope, quality, and delivery considering the vision, time and resource constraints to reach an optimal result.
- Ensuring game design documentation is always up to date as changes evolve during the development cycle.
- Seeking actionable feedback from peers and leads / Initiating playtests.
- Demonstrating best practices in game design for the production group and game teams.
- Maintaining and sharing an exceptional knowledge of games across a wide variety of genres and platforms.
- Constant research & interpretation of latest trends in game design.
- Strong collaboration skills and can naturally work with and relate to Producers, Programmers, Artists, QA, and of course, Designers.
- Helping to shape the structure, processes and integration of the design team across the studio
- Helping to reinforce great teamwork and amazing studio culture.
As a Bonus you would have:
- Worked on ‘AAA’ games or shipped titles
- Unreal Engine world creation knowledge.
- Blueprint skills.
- Knowledge of scripting languages used by designers.
- Competitive Market Rate Remuneration
- Genuine flexible working
- Best of Both Worlds - Perks of a global business with the intimacy of a small business
- And the best part – you get to be part of the next generation of game developers and learn from some of the best in the industry
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive, supports flexibility, and welcomes diversity.
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Australia (we are not able to sponsor working visas