Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onTuesday, 9 August, 2022 - 11:18 AM
We are Grinding Gear Games, creators of the award-winning dark fantasy Action RPG Path of Exile. We're a studio of 165 world-class developers based in Auckland, New Zealand and we're currently expanding the Path of Exile 2 development team.
2013 Winner - GameSpot's PC Game of the Year
2020 Winner - British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Evolving Game
Our work hours are flexible, with core hours from 11.00am to 3.30pm. We also offer pre-approved overtime pay!
We have a huge selection of free drinks for all the staff to enjoy while working. Think of a convenience store's range of drinks a few metres from your desk! Our rec rooms are stocked up daily with healthy snacks and a rotating range of seasonal fresh fruit and yoghurts, and catered meals are offered every week as part of our Monday mid-morning meetings.
When the work is done, we invite all staff to attend our expansion launch parties and Christmas parties to celebrate the effort they've put towards Path of Exile.
We seek 3D Item Artists to work with our Items team for Path of Exile.
Location: On-site in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (for the right candidate if needed)
Full-time position - 40 hours a week
The position includes the following duties:
- Work side-by-side with artists on the Items team, under the direction of the Art Director to create the highest quality artwork and maintain artistic consistency and expectations set by the studio
- Collaborate with Items Artists to review design, feedback and goals
- Work with fellow artists to integrate and maintain an art pipeline for the Item creation process
- Assist with mentorship of other team members within the team
- Coordinate with outsourcing artists and provide thorough and consistent feedback to our outsource teams
- Attend regular team meetings, providing updated status and progress of your deliverables
We are seeking someone with:
- 5+ years of professional experience in computer games
- Experience with modelling items/props, weapons, outfits, armours - things that would be equipped/worn by characters
- Strong proficiency with Maya, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, Photoshop, and Substance Painter. 3D Studio Max is a plus
- Experience with one or more outsourcing management projects in game or film industry
- A solid understanding of topology, materials, textures
- Great communication, organisation and management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- An ability to identify any risks and issues in the outsourcing pipeline and proactively seek solutions
- An understanding of game art production process and pipeline and a passion for games
- A strong artistic vision to translate both organic and hard surface assets from concept to game-ready
- Solid knowledge of high-poly modelling and digital sculpting, an exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modelling
- A superior eye for value, colour, and detail in creating textures - combined with a strong understanding of PBR
- An ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- An ability to embrace and provide constructive artistic feedback
Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
- An avid gamer with a deep understanding of our game, Path of Exile
- Experience working in the game industry is highly regarded
- Experience in game art hobbyist/mod teams is well regarded
- Ability to conceptualise and create your own compelling ideas
- An interest in understanding historical and cultural styles and construction
- Experience leading and/or mentoring
- Ability to light and render 3D objects
- A traditional arts background and/or a BA/Diploma in Fine Art or 3D/Game Art
- 5+ years work experience relating to art or graphic design could be considered in place of game industry experience if the portfolio is solid
- TD skills
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements, please email your resume, portfolio and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name + role you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.