Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onWednesday, 3 August, 2022 - 3:07 PM
We are Grinding Gear Games, creators of the award-winning dark fantasy Action RPG Path of Exile. We're a studio of 175 world-class developers based in Auckland, New Zealand and we're currently expanding the Path of Exile 2 development team.
2013 Winner - GameSpot's PC Game of the Year
2020 Winner - British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Evolving Game
We seek a Senior 3D Character Modeller to help create character and creature models for Path of Exile.
Location: On-site in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (for the right candidate if needed)
Full time position - 40 hours a week
The position includes the following duties:
- Work side-by-side with artists on the character team, under the direction of the Art Director to create the highest quality artwork and maintain artistic consistency and expectations set by the studio
- Collaborate with Lead Character Artist, Character Animator, and Character Rigger to review topology, design, rig feedback, and character goals
- Work with fellow artists to establish and maintain an art pipeline for the character creation process
- Assist with mentorship of other team members within the team
- Coordinate with outsource artists and provide thorough and consistent feedback to our outsource team
- Attend regular team meetings, providing updated status and progress of your deliverables.
We are seeking someone with:
- 5+ years of professional experience in a Character Artist role.
- Experience with one or more outsource management project in game or film industry
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations
- Strong proficiency with Maya, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, Photoshop, and Substance Painter
- Great communication, organisation and management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- An ability to identify any risks and issues in the out-source pipeline and proactively seek solutions
- An understanding of game art production process and pipeline and a passion for games
- A strong artistic vision to translate both organic and hard surface characters from concept to game-ready assets
- Solid knowledge of high-poly modelling and digital sculpting, An exceptional understanding of human anatomy, and a strong understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modelling
- A superior eye for value, colour, and detail in creating textures - combined with a strong understanding of PBR
- An ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- An ability to embrace and provide constructive artistic feedback
We may also need you to complete an art test.
- An avid gamer with a deep understanding of our game, Path of Exile
- Experience working in the game industry highly regarded
- Experience leading and/or mentoring
- Ability to light and render 3D objects
- A traditional arts background and/or a BA/Diploma in Fine Art or 3D/Game Art
- TD skills
What We Offer:
Our work hours are flexible, with core hours from 11.00am to 3.30pm. We also offer pre-approved overtime pay!
We have a huge selection of free drinks for all the staff to enjoy while working. Think of a convenience store's range of drinks a few metres from your desk! Our rec rooms are stocked up daily with healthy snacks and a rotating range of seasonal fresh fruit and yoghurt, and catered meals are offered every week as part of our Monday mid-morning meetings.
When the work is done, we invite all staff to attend our expansion launch parties and Christmas parties to celebrate the effort they've put towards Path of Exile.
How To Apply:
If you meet the requirements in your relevant job description, send us an email with a cover letter and your CV including link/s to your portfolio/reel (whichever is relevant to the role you are applying for).
Email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with your name + position you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.