Authored bySamurai Punk
Authored onTuesday, 27 September, 2022 - 3:13 PM
Art Director - Samurai Punk
Full Time / Part time / Contract options will be considered
Remote Work or Onsite available
Samurai Punk is a Melbourne-based independent game developer that creates dangerously great games. Starting in 2014, we have focused on always pushing ourselves to build new and interesting games. Our notable releases include Screencheat, Roombo: First Blood, Feather, Justice Sucks as well as many experimental games on itch.io.
We are looking for an Art Director to join our close knit team & bring your artistic direction, high standards & creativity to the games we create. It is a great opportunity to truly have an impact on the games we make as well as the team around you.
What you’ll be doing
- Defining our games’ art style, while working closely with the creative director to bring our vision to life.
- You have a strong creative spirit that enjoys imagining and working with games concepts that push the boundaries
- A love of visualising game assets - creatures, environments, items and vehicles often with an obscure twist.
- Working with the art team to develop and implement a high standard for the characters, environments and all other artistic aspects of our games.
- Guiding and informing the flow of artistic tasks to ensure the art team can create its best possible work.
- Communicating with other departments to make sure that the art direction is integrated with the design and programming requirements of each project.
- Providing support and guidance for your artists to grow within their field.
- Be excited at the prospect of being a key player in an independent studio.
- Have roughly 4+ years in game development or a similar field.
- Have a great understanding of light, colour, composition and the ability to align a team around a cohesive visual language.
- Be proficient with current 3D package ie, maya, 3DS Max, Blender
- Proficiency with programs like Photoshop or Affinity
- Ability to rapidly visualise concepts
- Have experience in game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine
- Have knowledge of the agile workflow
- Be an excellent communicator, and a passionate mentor & leader.
- An understanding of automation or tool development in the context of an art pipeline.
- An affinity for drawing or painting.
- Participation in game jams or any game prototyping experience.
- Experience with shaders, or material node editors in Unity or Unreal Engine 4.
Samurai Punk encourages applicants and enquiries from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Send CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com subject line “Art Director - Samurai Punk”