Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onTuesday, 21 March, 2023 - 9:24 AM
We are Grinding Gear Games, creators of the award-winning dark fantasy Action RPG Path of Exile. We're a studio of more than 175 world-class developers based in Auckland, New Zealand and we're currently expanding the Path of Exile 2 development team.
2013 Winner - GameSpot's PC Game of the Year
2020 Winner - British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Evolving Game
Grinding Gear Games is looking to hire an Item/Microtransaction Concept Artist to design items and microtransactions for Path of Exile and Path of Exile 2. It’s especially important that you play Path of Exile for this role because we want to make sure that our cosmetic microtransactions have unique ideas that feel integrated with gameplay. We’re looking to the community to find a talented artist who both plays the game and has an eye for what fits the aesthetic of Wraeclast.
Location: On-site in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (for the right candidate if needed)
Full-time position - 40 hours a week
Salary - $60k NZD - $90k NZD per annum, depending on experience
The position includes the following duties:
- Develop item/cosmetic microtransaction concept art, maintaining a consistent aesthetic across the game
- Show initiative, push ideas and innovate within your duties
- Be aware of project/task schedules and deliver work to deadlines
- Engage with the Game Directors and Producers
We are seeking someone with:
- 3+ years experience as a game concept artist
- An understanding of Path of Exile, its gameplay and themes
- A superior eye for lighting, value, colour, texture and details
- A firm grasp of composition and anatomy as it relates to games
- A passion and ability for creating realistic, ‘dark and gritty’ visually appealing item, character and cosmetic designs.
- An ability to take direction and work well within a team environment
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to evaluate time requirements
- A proactive and self-reliant approach to working
- Excellent communications skills, and able to work within a team environment
- A strong, relevant portfolio
- Strong knowledge of Path of Exile
- A traditional arts background and/or a BA in Fine Art or 3D/Game Art
What we offer:
Our work hours are flexible, with core hours from 11.00am to 3.30pm.
We have a huge selection of free drinks for all the staff to enjoy while working. Think of a convenience store's range of drinks a few metres from your desk! Our rec rooms are stocked up daily with healthy snacks and a rotating range of seasonal fresh fruit and yoghurt, and catered meals are offered every week as part of our Monday mid-morning meetings.
When the work is done, we invite all staff to attend our expansion launch parties and Christmas parties to celebrate the effort they've put towards Path of Exile.
How to apply:
If you meet the requirements in your relevant job description, send us an email with a cover letter and your CV including link/s to your portfolio/reel (whichever is relevant to the role you are applying for).
Email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with your name + position you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.