Authored byGrinding Gear Games
Authored onThursday, 14 September, 2023 - 1:29 PM
We are Grinding Gear Games, creators of the award-winning dark fantasy Action RPG Path of Exile. We're a diverse and inclusive studio of more than 175 world-class developers based in Auckland, New Zealand and we're currently expanding the Path of Exile 2 development team.
2013 Winner - GameSpot's PC Game of the Year
2020 Winner - British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Evolving Game
We seek a Senior Materials Artist to join us onsite at our studio in Auckland.
Location: On-site in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (for the right candidate if needed)
Full time position - 40 hours a week
The position includes the following duties:
- Create high-quality work using a variety of software programs
- Maintain a consistent aesthetic across your work in the game and related mediums such as trailers and web
- Collaborate across disciplines sharing ideas and articulating visions
- Show initiative, push ideas and innovate within your duties
- Be aware of project/task schedules and be capable of delivering work to deadlines
- Take direction from the Art Director, Creative Director and engage with Producers
We are seeking someone with:
- Experience as a Materials Artist
- 4 years experience as a 3D Art Generalist or Environment Artist in professional AAA video games or cinematics, animation or VFX studios
- A solid grasp of colour and other physical material properties as they relate to games
- Proficiency at creating both stylized and PBR materials using Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Photoshop
- Expert knowledge in node-based material editors, tiling layered materials, shader networks and procedural texturing
- An ability to be inspired by growth and excellence and thrive on sharing your knowledge with your teammates while continually honing your craft
- Iterating, communicating and creating together is what drives your passion for art and games
- Knowledge in the key professional tools, techniques and asset creation pipelines: Maya, Zbrush, game engine (eg UE/Unity/proprietary), Marvelous Designer, modeling, baking, texturing, UV creation, unwrapping
- A proactive and self-reliant attitude with good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to in a team environment
- Kickass portfolio showcasing your Environment assets as well as your ability to create and apply high-quality materials to assets
Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so.
- An avid gamer that has a deep understanding of our game Path of Exile and its themes
- Experience working in the game industry highly regarded
- A traditional arts background and/or a BA in Fine Art or 3D/Game Art
- TD skills
- Experience leading and/or mentoring
What we offer:
Our work hours are flexible, with core hours from 11.00am to 3.30pm.
We have a huge selection of free drinks for all the staff to enjoy while working. Think of a convenience store's range of drinks a few metres from your desk! Our rec rooms are stocked up daily with healthy snacks and a rotating range of seasonal fresh fruit and yoghurt, and catered meals are offered every week as part of our Monday mid-morning meetings.
When the work is done, we invite all staff to attend our expansion launch parties and Christmas parties to celebrate the effort they've put towards Path of Exile.
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements, please email your resume, portfolio and a cover letter to email@example.com with your name + role you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.