We've opened a new studio in Melbourne after a successful 5 years in Sydney.
SMG Studio is looking for a talented artist to join our newly formed team in Melbourne, Australia.
You will have the opportunity to work on high-profile entertainment IP as well as our original IP, while helping shaping the future of the studio.
We're looking for someone with right skills and a good attitude to come in and make kick ass games with us.
What you will do:
- • Lead the concepting and production of art for a range of mobile and console titles.
- • Produce high quality 2D, 3D and VFX assets in a variety of styles.
- • Produce good quality sketches to explain and sell game concepts.
- • Drive the creation of art and ensure that a unified vision is maintained.
- • Find artistic solutions which balance creative vision with production realities.
- • Review other artists’ work and give feedback to ensure highest quality output is met.
- • Collaborate with programmers to develop efficient and productive art pipelines.
- • Work with producers to ensure that realistic schedules are created and adhered to.
- • Be an active mentor and role model for the team.
- • Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm.
- • Keep informed about latest advances in game art techniques and technology.
- • Drive creation of presentation and marketing materials to communicate the artistic vision of our games.
- • Maintain contact with the Sydney Studio to offer expertise and advice where needed.
- • Be actively involved with recruitment, vetting candidates, performing interviews & recommending hires.
- • Develop the skills of other team members and raise the quality bar within the studio.
- • Diploma/Degree in 2D/3D video game development or equivalent training/experience.
- • 5 years’ experience with minimum of 2 years at senior level or above.
- • Experience of working on a published game from conception to release.
- • Strong portfolio demonstrating a high level of artistic creativity in one or more game art disciplines across a range of styles.
- • Expert knowledge of Photoshop.
- • Ability to quickly sketch ideas and concepts.
- • Good understanding of latest techniques in 3D modeling.
- • Good knowledge of latest 3D software, preferably Maya.
- • Technical mindset with experience of implementing assets in game engines.
- • Understanding of fundamental art theory including principles of color, light, composition and anatomy.
- • Proven ability to balance esthetics with performance and usability.
- • Ability to present clear documentation communicating ideas both internally and externally.
- • Positive influence and leadership skills.
- • Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written).
- • Motivates and inspires others to generate new ideas.
- • Good organization skills. Anticipates, prioritizes and plans own work.
- • Good coaching skills.
- • Considerable understanding of video games and broad video game culture.
- • Self-motivated and agile.
- • No egos please :)
VISA/Relocation: Willing to help with VISA and relocation for the right awesome candidate.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATION WITHOUT A VISUAL PORTFOLIO & EXAMPLES