Skip to main content

Vector Art

Submitted by MoonUnit on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/349_mecartoonbig1L.jpg[/img]

One of my first attempts at vector art. I was originally trying to make photo-imitation vector work but i had massive amounts of trouble with facial tones, instead ive gone for a cartoon look. The face was what a worked on, the rest was kinda slapped together once i realised it had to be a 800x600 image.

Thoughts, impressions, comments etc welcome

btw thats a cartoon version of me, real picture of me here (im on the very right) for comparison
http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeans2.jpg

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 03/06/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

That looks pretty cool. You are missing the bright red eyes though ;)

Just out of interest, what app did you use?

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 03/06/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

It would be insane to not use illustrator 10 or higher for that.

Should of used the pen tool more to make more curves and the direct select to adjust them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 03/06/04 - 5:35 AM Permalink

Let me repeat that this is my first attempt at vector art.

It was made in photoshop 7 and yes using the pen tool, im kinda using this as a bit of a jump start into working in illustrator (because ive allways wanted to try using illustrator).

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 04/06/04 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Good start into vector art. I think you will find Illustrator (and Freehand) much much better/easier for working with vectors.

As you have probably relised, vector art is not good for realistic rendering of organic forms such as people. but great for stylised renditions and graphic images. I also find vector art excellent for illustrating mechanical devices- esp things with smooth curves and surfaces.

Get your hands on a copy of Illustrator or Freehand ASAP, even an older version ie freehand9 or equivalent illustrator. They are both very good for what you will be wanting to do, but say no to Corel Draw, the interface is not as good for work flow. If you are looking to work between programs this might influence your choice in vector art program. Illustrator intergrates with Photoshop better BUT Freehand intergrates better with Flash.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 04/06/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

yeah i dont really plan to use vector art for realistic organic pictures, then pen tool has its uses however in 2D work, like line art.

Posted by MoonUnit on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/349_mecartoonbig1L.jpg[/img]

One of my first attempts at vector art. I was originally trying to make photo-imitation vector work but i had massive amounts of trouble with facial tones, instead ive gone for a cartoon look. The face was what a worked on, the rest was kinda slapped together once i realised it had to be a 800x600 image.

Thoughts, impressions, comments etc welcome

btw thats a cartoon version of me, real picture of me here (im on the very right) for comparison
http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeans2.jpg

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 03/06/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

That looks pretty cool. You are missing the bright red eyes though ;)

Just out of interest, what app did you use?

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 03/06/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

It would be insane to not use illustrator 10 or higher for that.

Should of used the pen tool more to make more curves and the direct select to adjust them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 03/06/04 - 5:35 AM Permalink

Let me repeat that this is my first attempt at vector art.

It was made in photoshop 7 and yes using the pen tool, im kinda using this as a bit of a jump start into working in illustrator (because ive allways wanted to try using illustrator).

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 04/06/04 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Good start into vector art. I think you will find Illustrator (and Freehand) much much better/easier for working with vectors.

As you have probably relised, vector art is not good for realistic rendering of organic forms such as people. but great for stylised renditions and graphic images. I also find vector art excellent for illustrating mechanical devices- esp things with smooth curves and surfaces.

Get your hands on a copy of Illustrator or Freehand ASAP, even an older version ie freehand9 or equivalent illustrator. They are both very good for what you will be wanting to do, but say no to Corel Draw, the interface is not as good for work flow. If you are looking to work between programs this might influence your choice in vector art program. Illustrator intergrates with Photoshop better BUT Freehand intergrates better with Flash.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 04/06/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

yeah i dont really plan to use vector art for realistic organic pictures, then pen tool has its uses however in 2D work, like line art.