Skip to main content

Santa Dwarf ?

Submitted by Kalescent on

Hey people,. heres a concept of a dwarf i was workin on not so long ago - its pretty much been my first attempt at coloring in photoshop.. so its a bit nasty, and rather father christmas ' ish!
[?]

anyways im just working on another pencil sketch of a celestial avenger so ill post that when im done too then ya can all guide me with your knowledge!

please.. be gentle,.. and no santa jokes [:p]

http://elysianart.topcities.com/ConceptArt/Klimitt.jpg

[img]http://elysianart.topcities.com/ConceptArt/Klimitt.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/10/03 - 1:43 AM Permalink

ok ok although i realise i have infinite newbie wisdom, there are some things i just dont understand,.. "where for art thou help regarding posting immages instead of just links" ?

Submitted by LeeSmith on Fri, 03/10/03 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Hey there, you're off to a good start but there are a couple of points you may want to consider to improve in future. Firstly when someone starts digitally colouring it's hard to resist using all of the colours available, the result is the Cristmas theme you have going here. Try knocking the saturation right back, use duller colours. That way when you want to use a really strong colour you can use it to pull the viewers eyes to the focus of the drawing and not compete with all the other colours.

Secondly, if it is concept art you are interested in getting into then you have to put alot of thinking into your designs, why are they like that, what are their purpose? etc. I can see this hasn't happened with this piece because simply by looking at it I can see this poor guy won't be able to lift his arms without his guards hitting the horns of his helmet. Not much chance of blocking that skull-splitting Orc blow! ;)

So there you go, a couple of things to work on, but as I said you're off to a great start :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/10/03 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Hey Lee, thanks for that,.. funny you shud say that about using all the colours,.. thats pretty much exactly what i did,.

yeah,.. i hear what your saying with the armour,.. and no not alot of thought went into the actual design of the dwarf.. i just put pencil to paper and thats pretty much what came out,..

i guess the guts of it lies in the fact that i dont really want to be the best concept artist,.. just good enough to be able to express my ideas to a real concept artist,.. as most of the work that ill post on here will be just quick sketches,.. and bodge paint jobs,.. for the 2d art side of things,..

ill spend a bit more time on modelling and texturing,.. which im also pretty new at,.. but where i feel more comfy i guess,. im not so bad with clay,.. so i think the transition to 3d shudnt be so hard.

Thanks for your comments tho!

Posted by Kalescent on

Hey people,. heres a concept of a dwarf i was workin on not so long ago - its pretty much been my first attempt at coloring in photoshop.. so its a bit nasty, and rather father christmas ' ish!
[?]

anyways im just working on another pencil sketch of a celestial avenger so ill post that when im done too then ya can all guide me with your knowledge!

please.. be gentle,.. and no santa jokes [:p]

http://elysianart.topcities.com/ConceptArt/Klimitt.jpg

[img]http://elysianart.topcities.com/ConceptArt/Klimitt.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/10/03 - 1:43 AM Permalink

ok ok although i realise i have infinite newbie wisdom, there are some things i just dont understand,.. "where for art thou help regarding posting immages instead of just links" ?

Submitted by LeeSmith on Fri, 03/10/03 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Hey there, you're off to a good start but there are a couple of points you may want to consider to improve in future. Firstly when someone starts digitally colouring it's hard to resist using all of the colours available, the result is the Cristmas theme you have going here. Try knocking the saturation right back, use duller colours. That way when you want to use a really strong colour you can use it to pull the viewers eyes to the focus of the drawing and not compete with all the other colours.

Secondly, if it is concept art you are interested in getting into then you have to put alot of thinking into your designs, why are they like that, what are their purpose? etc. I can see this hasn't happened with this piece because simply by looking at it I can see this poor guy won't be able to lift his arms without his guards hitting the horns of his helmet. Not much chance of blocking that skull-splitting Orc blow! ;)

So there you go, a couple of things to work on, but as I said you're off to a great start :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/10/03 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Hey Lee, thanks for that,.. funny you shud say that about using all the colours,.. thats pretty much exactly what i did,.

yeah,.. i hear what your saying with the armour,.. and no not alot of thought went into the actual design of the dwarf.. i just put pencil to paper and thats pretty much what came out,..

i guess the guts of it lies in the fact that i dont really want to be the best concept artist,.. just good enough to be able to express my ideas to a real concept artist,.. as most of the work that ill post on here will be just quick sketches,.. and bodge paint jobs,.. for the 2d art side of things,..

ill spend a bit more time on modelling and texturing,.. which im also pretty new at,.. but where i feel more comfy i guess,. im not so bad with clay,.. so i think the transition to 3d shudnt be so hard.

Thanks for your comments tho!