Skip to main content

Shield Guardian, WIP

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://www.pantmonger.com/3d/shield_guardian_wip_01.jpg[/img]

Shield Guardian.
Really needed some practice doing editable poly, extrusion method modeling, so I opened up the old Monster Manual and decided to model the Shield Guardian.

Texture to come some time in the future.

Feedback welcome

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 05/04/04 - 9:44 AM Permalink

sweet man - ... everything looks to be in order! [:D]

nice polyflow too... dang!!!

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 05/04/04 - 6:41 PM Permalink

Is dungeons and dragons a game for PC or what? I hear a lot about it, might buy it.

Anyway pants that looks great. Look forward to seein the texture

Submitted by matias on Mon, 05/04/04 - 6:48 PM Permalink

its actually a pen and paper rpg. you sit around with mates(usually[:p]) and roll dice and stuff. Games like BG1&2 are based off of the pen an paper game. Also Never winter nights, Planescape:Torment, Pools of radience.. um theres a heap of really old games as well, I'm sure theres a heap I've skipped here. Just browse around the Wizards site, they make it easy to get in and play, ie give them your money![:D]

By the way Pants, are you gonna make him all chipped and dinged and stuff? I cant wait to see the texture, I know nothing about polys and 3d but I knew straight away without looking what guy it was meant to be!

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 05/04/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

Looking pretty good Pants.

I'd maybe reorganise some of your poly distribution, for example if you look at the detail of the upper torso and the pectoral muscles compared to the shoulder guards the pecs look alot smoother even though they are both meant to be quite smooth.

I'd actually try use some of the polys for details like the toes and hands and also for lower torso and hip joints which look like a pretty detailed feature on the concept.

Also maybe make where the hips join the legs could be more interesting model wise, I'm guessing you mean to texture the hole but if you used a few polys to bevel the edge inwards instead of ending with just a flat plane it would just make it pop more.

I like the flow your getting in this model, glad to see you using edit poly, [:P] I knew you'd turn sooner or later. boo ha ha.

Can't wait to see it textured and....animated?!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 06/04/04 - 4:30 PM Permalink

HazarD and Barry: Thanks, its funny when you make something like this as it reveals who has the books tucked away somewhere. The concept was that picture but from 3.0.

Bullet21: Thanks, matias answered your question, so I wont repeat it.

matias: Thanks, I?m glad its obvious what he is supposed to be, and yeah I?m going to make him all chipped dinged and stuff, at least that is the intention.

Wizenedoldman: Ill have you know its powder blue :) . Actually its just because it?s a colour that I find comfortable on the eyes when im working and it doesn?t obscure the edge lines.

Malus: Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at redistributing the polys as per you advice, over the next few days. Then texture and some animation practice.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 06/04/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Nice work Pantmonger, like the style.

Just one niggling thing though, the fingers. I could see them being alot bigger, especially if it is going to wield an object, it needs fingers to hold onto it :)

Love the pins in the knees. I could see it as a boss on a level and its weak point was the pins to be knocked out .... then it would crawl around like a gorilla without its lower legs :)

[img]http://www.pantmonger.com/3d/shield_guardian_wip_01.jpg[/img]

Shield Guardian.
Really needed some practice doing editable poly, extrusion method modeling, so I opened up the old Monster Manual and decided to model the Shield Guardian.

Texture to come some time in the future.

Feedback welcome

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 05/04/04 - 9:44 AM Permalink

sweet man - ... everything looks to be in order! [:D]

nice polyflow too... dang!!!

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 05/04/04 - 6:41 PM Permalink

Is dungeons and dragons a game for PC or what? I hear a lot about it, might buy it.

Anyway pants that looks great. Look forward to seein the texture

Submitted by matias on Mon, 05/04/04 - 6:48 PM Permalink

its actually a pen and paper rpg. you sit around with mates(usually[:p]) and roll dice and stuff. Games like BG1&2 are based off of the pen an paper game. Also Never winter nights, Planescape:Torment, Pools of radience.. um theres a heap of really old games as well, I'm sure theres a heap I've skipped here. Just browse around the Wizards site, they make it easy to get in and play, ie give them your money![:D]

By the way Pants, are you gonna make him all chipped and dinged and stuff? I cant wait to see the texture, I know nothing about polys and 3d but I knew straight away without looking what guy it was meant to be!

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 05/04/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

Looking pretty good Pants.

I'd maybe reorganise some of your poly distribution, for example if you look at the detail of the upper torso and the pectoral muscles compared to the shoulder guards the pecs look alot smoother even though they are both meant to be quite smooth.

I'd actually try use some of the polys for details like the toes and hands and also for lower torso and hip joints which look like a pretty detailed feature on the concept.

Also maybe make where the hips join the legs could be more interesting model wise, I'm guessing you mean to texture the hole but if you used a few polys to bevel the edge inwards instead of ending with just a flat plane it would just make it pop more.

I like the flow your getting in this model, glad to see you using edit poly, [:P] I knew you'd turn sooner or later. boo ha ha.

Can't wait to see it textured and....animated?!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 06/04/04 - 4:30 PM Permalink

HazarD and Barry: Thanks, its funny when you make something like this as it reveals who has the books tucked away somewhere. The concept was that picture but from 3.0.

Bullet21: Thanks, matias answered your question, so I wont repeat it.

matias: Thanks, I?m glad its obvious what he is supposed to be, and yeah I?m going to make him all chipped dinged and stuff, at least that is the intention.

Wizenedoldman: Ill have you know its powder blue :) . Actually its just because it?s a colour that I find comfortable on the eyes when im working and it doesn?t obscure the edge lines.

Malus: Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at redistributing the polys as per you advice, over the next few days. Then texture and some animation practice.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 06/04/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

Nice work Pantmonger, like the style.

Just one niggling thing though, the fingers. I could see them being alot bigger, especially if it is going to wield an object, it needs fingers to hold onto it :)

Love the pins in the knees. I could see it as a boss on a level and its weak point was the pins to be knocked out .... then it would crawl around like a gorilla without its lower legs :)