Skip to main content

Head model

Submitted by conundrum on

here is the start of a head im making for a game model (im targeting about 3000-3500, plus normal maps as well). Its my first real attempt at a realistic head, so im sure there are some issues with ploy placement etc. any crits and comments are welcome

polycount: 474 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004104232843_Haed-Pro…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 06/10/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Good start Conundrum, but I'd like to offer a tip that is a process I always use when modelling. When I get to the stage that you're about at now I tend to sit back, have a look, and go 'What's the worst thing about this model?', then I go about fixing it. Hope this doesn't sound like I'm up myself, but it works for me. Get plenty of reference pics and if you get stuck, go check yourself out in the mirror.

Obviously though you're still far from finished so it's really too early to criticise.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 06/10/04 - 10:51 AM Permalink

probably shouldn't have called the a thread "head model" as im doing a whole character. Anyway this is my progress so far ( colours are just to show different parts of the clothing), as i said my targets around 3000 to 3500. This is the basic character done now im going to go about about fixing thimgs and adding detail etc.
im aiming for half life 2 so ill be making a highres for the normal map, plus larger texture sizes. once again. crits welcome

polycount:2371 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004105104832_Whole-Bo…]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 07/10/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I think his brow needs to come forward a bit, the side profile of his face is a bit round, either that or make his eyes a bit more deep set in his head. I also think his eyes are a bit wide, and large to be realistic.
I really like your model, the design is pretty cool and I like his body shape, I hope you show of the high rez version :)

Submitted by cwans art on Thu, 07/10/04 - 4:59 AM Permalink

Hey this is nice work so far. Keep it up!! I am no expert with this 3D stuff, but maybe you could lower the count on the hand? It seems to have a lot of polys compared with the rest of the figure.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 07/10/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Good Start [:)] The knees and elbows definately need some deformation work - they are going to look quite square and blocky when they deform as they are at the moment - and ill also be very keen to see what happens to that shoulder armour when his arms fly up in the air when hes been shot [:o] Are you thinking about attaching that shoulder pauldron to the collarbone or to the actual upper arm bone ? either way i think youll end up with some interesting results [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 07/10/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

thanks for all the help, ive improved the head from all your suggestions. I think ill probably attach the pauldron to the collar bone, then attach the other two arm guard to a bone each so they dont get distorted. i will also try putting a constraint on the rig so the arm can only go to a certain point in ragdoll, hopefully stopping the arm from going into the pauldron (if thats possible). and ill work on improving my joints.
thanks again

[edit] Update: 2842 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004106122647_Whole-Bo…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 08/10/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Hey Conundrum this guy is coming along, but I'd have a look at your poly distribution, I missed the polycount before - and not to dampen your spirits but I'd expect a character with that amount of detail and silhouette to have around 1000 tris at most.

The density of the hands and ears are taking up a hell of a lot of that count and unless they are specific areas of interest on your model youd be best to remove as many of those as possible and use them in places like the front of his face, detail in his armour, joint deformation etc etc.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 08/10/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

hazard and cwans:
yeah, i know what you mean, (1500 polies in the hands and head alone[:p]). I should be able to fix the ears but where i have come into trouble is the hands, i cant seem to maintain the silhouette and deformation when i try and reduce them. thanks for the suggestions and help though.
P.S, even though it doesn't make a huge difference, the count above was actually 2531 tris

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 08/10/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Coming along well, he's got some character in him now, he looks very French. oui!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 09/10/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

pretty cool
the hands look like they need a lot of work tho, the wrist is really thin and the hands themselves look flat overall, no knuckles or curved palm and so on.
its coming together really well though

Posted by conundrum on

here is the start of a head im making for a game model (im targeting about 3000-3500, plus normal maps as well). Its my first real attempt at a realistic head, so im sure there are some issues with ploy placement etc. any crits and comments are welcome

polycount: 474 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004104232843_Haed-Pro…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 06/10/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Good start Conundrum, but I'd like to offer a tip that is a process I always use when modelling. When I get to the stage that you're about at now I tend to sit back, have a look, and go 'What's the worst thing about this model?', then I go about fixing it. Hope this doesn't sound like I'm up myself, but it works for me. Get plenty of reference pics and if you get stuck, go check yourself out in the mirror.

Obviously though you're still far from finished so it's really too early to criticise.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 06/10/04 - 10:51 AM Permalink

probably shouldn't have called the a thread "head model" as im doing a whole character. Anyway this is my progress so far ( colours are just to show different parts of the clothing), as i said my targets around 3000 to 3500. This is the basic character done now im going to go about about fixing thimgs and adding detail etc.
im aiming for half life 2 so ill be making a highres for the normal map, plus larger texture sizes. once again. crits welcome

polycount:2371 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004105104832_Whole-Bo…]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 07/10/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I think his brow needs to come forward a bit, the side profile of his face is a bit round, either that or make his eyes a bit more deep set in his head. I also think his eyes are a bit wide, and large to be realistic.
I really like your model, the design is pretty cool and I like his body shape, I hope you show of the high rez version :)

Submitted by cwans art on Thu, 07/10/04 - 4:59 AM Permalink

Hey this is nice work so far. Keep it up!! I am no expert with this 3D stuff, but maybe you could lower the count on the hand? It seems to have a lot of polys compared with the rest of the figure.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 07/10/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Good Start [:)] The knees and elbows definately need some deformation work - they are going to look quite square and blocky when they deform as they are at the moment - and ill also be very keen to see what happens to that shoulder armour when his arms fly up in the air when hes been shot [:o] Are you thinking about attaching that shoulder pauldron to the collarbone or to the actual upper arm bone ? either way i think youll end up with some interesting results [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 07/10/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

thanks for all the help, ive improved the head from all your suggestions. I think ill probably attach the pauldron to the collar bone, then attach the other two arm guard to a bone each so they dont get distorted. i will also try putting a constraint on the rig so the arm can only go to a certain point in ragdoll, hopefully stopping the arm from going into the pauldron (if thats possible). and ill work on improving my joints.
thanks again

[edit] Update: 2842 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004106122647_Whole-Bo…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 08/10/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Hey Conundrum this guy is coming along, but I'd have a look at your poly distribution, I missed the polycount before - and not to dampen your spirits but I'd expect a character with that amount of detail and silhouette to have around 1000 tris at most.

The density of the hands and ears are taking up a hell of a lot of that count and unless they are specific areas of interest on your model youd be best to remove as many of those as possible and use them in places like the front of his face, detail in his armour, joint deformation etc etc.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 08/10/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

hazard and cwans:
yeah, i know what you mean, (1500 polies in the hands and head alone[:p]). I should be able to fix the ears but where i have come into trouble is the hands, i cant seem to maintain the silhouette and deformation when i try and reduce them. thanks for the suggestions and help though.
P.S, even though it doesn't make a huge difference, the count above was actually 2531 tris

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 08/10/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Coming along well, he's got some character in him now, he looks very French. oui!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 09/10/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

pretty cool
the hands look like they need a lot of work tho, the wrist is really thin and the hands themselves look flat overall, no knuckles or curved palm and so on.
its coming together really well though