Skip to main content

Photorealism WIP

Ok, last post for today, I said it was a busy weekend;)

This is an attempt at a photorealistic render, model is dead simple, more focused on materials and lighting.

Using brazil r/s

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cmcmurr/mypic29.jpg[/img]

p.s. hope I'm not flooding this thread, please tell me if I am Souri and I'll stop.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 06/04/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

WOW, that is amazing, I seriously would've thought that was a photo! The metal on the ring has a nice worked feel with the slight variations in texture. Really good stuff!

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 06/04/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

That looks really nice. A few things, and these are just my tastes more than anything.

The wood texture looks a little low res. It is fairly blury takes away just a little from the crispness of the ring's texture. Either the light is a little dull or the wood texture is a little dark. These are just little nit picks though and I don't even know if they would improve the appearence any more.

Love the Anisotropic Reflections on the ring. They are really nicely done and gives it a nice touch :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 06/04/04 - 1:08 AM Permalink

could i just add to what aven said, id like to see a bit more clarity in the stone, and (depending on the cut of the stone ) give one or 2 highlights on it.

not bad tho WOM :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 06/04/04 - 2:56 AM Permalink

very nice. wood texture could be a little low rez, or i could just be that the table is polished a fair bit.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/04/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

I'm having real difficulty believing that scene was done in a 3d program :)

Submitted by hobonation on Tue, 06/04/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

baah, ive drawn beeter pics is ms paint..............Seriously, excellent job. If you hadnt said 'photorealism' i would never have dreamed it was a model. very photorealism!

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 06/04/04 - 7:41 AM Permalink

Looking fantastic. Sharper wood texture would look too sharp for a genuine photographic effect and move into hyper-realism.

small crit: The stone has no shine to it and looks kind of 'dead'. If i were painting the same scene i would be putting real attention to reflections on the stones surface and sharp highlights on any edges (that might in part be a modelling thing so fair enough to over look it.)

smaller crit: the reflected light directily infront of the ring looks the wrong colour (kind of orangey on my monitor)maybe too saturated?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 07/04/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

John, agree with you on the wood texture. The ring was modelled on my own and the stone doesn't really have a cut, just a high polish, so I left it at that, but I suppose i can take a few liberties in the name of art ;) One other thing I want to do is add some dust and speckles to the table top surface.

As for the saturated reflection, I see what you mean and I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 10/04/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

I did some edits to your image Wisenedoldman, along the lines of what I was talking about. Some of it addresses subtle modelling details that of course were not the focus of your project.

...Oh yeah, and you forgot to include that pencil that was next to your ring! so I added it in for you [;)] (a bit of P'shop practice for me.)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_ring-on-table_photoedit-pen.jpg[/i…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 10/04/04 - 1:27 AM Permalink

yup that stone highlight is what i was reffering to up the page - makes a world of difference to the whole shot i think. nice pencil btw johnn :D

Ok, last post for today, I said it was a busy weekend;)

This is an attempt at a photorealistic render, model is dead simple, more focused on materials and lighting.

Using brazil r/s

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cmcmurr/mypic29.jpg[/img]

p.s. hope I'm not flooding this thread, please tell me if I am Souri and I'll stop.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 06/04/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

WOW, that is amazing, I seriously would've thought that was a photo! The metal on the ring has a nice worked feel with the slight variations in texture. Really good stuff!

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 06/04/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

That looks really nice. A few things, and these are just my tastes more than anything.

The wood texture looks a little low res. It is fairly blury takes away just a little from the crispness of the ring's texture. Either the light is a little dull or the wood texture is a little dark. These are just little nit picks though and I don't even know if they would improve the appearence any more.

Love the Anisotropic Reflections on the ring. They are really nicely done and gives it a nice touch :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 06/04/04 - 1:08 AM Permalink

could i just add to what aven said, id like to see a bit more clarity in the stone, and (depending on the cut of the stone ) give one or 2 highlights on it.

not bad tho WOM :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 06/04/04 - 2:56 AM Permalink

very nice. wood texture could be a little low rez, or i could just be that the table is polished a fair bit.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/04/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

I'm having real difficulty believing that scene was done in a 3d program :)

Submitted by hobonation on Tue, 06/04/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

baah, ive drawn beeter pics is ms paint..............Seriously, excellent job. If you hadnt said 'photorealism' i would never have dreamed it was a model. very photorealism!

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 06/04/04 - 7:41 AM Permalink

Looking fantastic. Sharper wood texture would look too sharp for a genuine photographic effect and move into hyper-realism.

small crit: The stone has no shine to it and looks kind of 'dead'. If i were painting the same scene i would be putting real attention to reflections on the stones surface and sharp highlights on any edges (that might in part be a modelling thing so fair enough to over look it.)

smaller crit: the reflected light directily infront of the ring looks the wrong colour (kind of orangey on my monitor)maybe too saturated?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 07/04/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

John, agree with you on the wood texture. The ring was modelled on my own and the stone doesn't really have a cut, just a high polish, so I left it at that, but I suppose i can take a few liberties in the name of art ;) One other thing I want to do is add some dust and speckles to the table top surface.

As for the saturated reflection, I see what you mean and I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 10/04/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

I did some edits to your image Wisenedoldman, along the lines of what I was talking about. Some of it addresses subtle modelling details that of course were not the focus of your project.

...Oh yeah, and you forgot to include that pencil that was next to your ring! so I added it in for you [;)] (a bit of P'shop practice for me.)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_ring-on-table_photoedit-pen.jpg[/i…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 10/04/04 - 1:27 AM Permalink

yup that stone highlight is what i was reffering to up the page - makes a world of difference to the whole shot i think. nice pencil btw johnn :D