Skip to main content

First Orchestral Piece..

Forum

Hi there,

Very few musics here, only images.. so thought I'd share what I did last night while fiddling.

Finding I have an afinity for orchestral music.

[url]http://www.yjbrown.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music/mp3/OrchestralFantasy.mp3…]

Any feed back welcome.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 09/04/03 - 1:13 AM Permalink

sounds really good :)
i dont do sound but that in 20mins to me is really impressive :)
good work.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 09/04/03 - 2:47 AM Permalink

Very nicely done groovy, especially for 20 minutes. How did you compose it, sampled or your own music?
It reminds me of earlier final fantasy/ warcraft games but with alot more sound quality of course.

I like the strings in the second area, they add a great dimension to the backround I can imagine that our hero is entering a battle or is nearing the captured princess tower ready for that final showdown with Mr Bad. [:P]

The percusion is also very well thought out, impacts well. The music wouldn't overpower the game also in my opinion, a mistake alot of people make, they want you to be drawn to every note but just like special effects music should add to the feel of a title not try to dominate it.

Keep us posted , I'd like to hear the finished piece. Now I think I have to go play FF7 again damn you.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 09/04/03 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Wow, that's awesome, and only 20minutes?!?

Sounds very suitable as game music.

You rock groovyone!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/04/03 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Wow.. very impressive stuff.. [:)]

Submitted by groovyone on Wed, 09/04/03 - 12:09 PM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback.

Tho it wasn't quite 20 minutes, but more like 50 minutes with all the extra fiddling.

Actually, I was writing this for a job application, but it was supposed to be medieval, but turned out more fantasy like.

This was my first serious attempt at what people traditionally call "orchestral". It's quite easy to be dramatic, so it will be a test to see how well I fare in the quiet sections..

I wrote this in freeware software called Psycle, using a sample library. The music is fully composed by myself, there's no riffs or recordings.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 01/06/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

Aww the link's dead now :-(

However, may have got to listen to it in hearing the music you've
got on your site, good stuff man :)

So, on a tenuously related topic, can anyone recommend any
more good ambient/trance/electronica that's good to write
games to? :) Here's my faves:

Orbital
Michael Brook (excellent midi guitarist)
Cocteau Twins
Boards of Canada
808 State (ok, some of this list is pretty old :)
Brian Eno
Chicane
Carl Cox
Deep Forest (YMMV)
Enigma (again, YMMV)
Dead Can Dance
Tangerine Dream (slightly high cheese factor in some of their 80's/90's releases and just plain weird early on)
Leftfield

And some cool soundtracks:

Donnie Darko (mmm vocoders and moogs :)
Big Blue

Got any suggestions? Post 'em :->

Cheers,

CombatWombat (thread-hijacker extraordinaire :)

Posted by groovyone on
Forum

Hi there,

Very few musics here, only images.. so thought I'd share what I did last night while fiddling.

Finding I have an afinity for orchestral music.

[url]http://www.yjbrown.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music/mp3/OrchestralFantasy.mp3…]

Any feed back welcome.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 09/04/03 - 1:13 AM Permalink

sounds really good :)
i dont do sound but that in 20mins to me is really impressive :)
good work.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 09/04/03 - 2:47 AM Permalink

Very nicely done groovy, especially for 20 minutes. How did you compose it, sampled or your own music?
It reminds me of earlier final fantasy/ warcraft games but with alot more sound quality of course.

I like the strings in the second area, they add a great dimension to the backround I can imagine that our hero is entering a battle or is nearing the captured princess tower ready for that final showdown with Mr Bad. [:P]

The percusion is also very well thought out, impacts well. The music wouldn't overpower the game also in my opinion, a mistake alot of people make, they want you to be drawn to every note but just like special effects music should add to the feel of a title not try to dominate it.

Keep us posted , I'd like to hear the finished piece. Now I think I have to go play FF7 again damn you.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 09/04/03 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Wow, that's awesome, and only 20minutes?!?

Sounds very suitable as game music.

You rock groovyone!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/04/03 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Wow.. very impressive stuff.. [:)]

Submitted by groovyone on Wed, 09/04/03 - 12:09 PM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback.

Tho it wasn't quite 20 minutes, but more like 50 minutes with all the extra fiddling.

Actually, I was writing this for a job application, but it was supposed to be medieval, but turned out more fantasy like.

This was my first serious attempt at what people traditionally call "orchestral". It's quite easy to be dramatic, so it will be a test to see how well I fare in the quiet sections..

I wrote this in freeware software called Psycle, using a sample library. The music is fully composed by myself, there's no riffs or recordings.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 01/06/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

Aww the link's dead now :-(

However, may have got to listen to it in hearing the music you've
got on your site, good stuff man :)

So, on a tenuously related topic, can anyone recommend any
more good ambient/trance/electronica that's good to write
games to? :) Here's my faves:

Orbital
Michael Brook (excellent midi guitarist)
Cocteau Twins
Boards of Canada
808 State (ok, some of this list is pretty old :)
Brian Eno
Chicane
Carl Cox
Deep Forest (YMMV)
Enigma (again, YMMV)
Dead Can Dance
Tangerine Dream (slightly high cheese factor in some of their 80's/90's releases and just plain weird early on)
Leftfield

And some cool soundtracks:

Donnie Darko (mmm vocoders and moogs :)
Big Blue

Got any suggestions? Post 'em :->

Cheers,

CombatWombat (thread-hijacker extraordinaire :)