Skip to main content

archer

Submitted by RasTuS on

well i have had this guy modeled and uvw'd for a while but have not been game to texture him until now

so today i decided since my reel is almost ready i opened him up (looked and uv's and shuddered) so i remapped him and started to texture. he is about 2350 tri's and with the bow arrows and blade about 2950 and he had a 512 for the body a 256 for the cloak and a 256 for the rest of his stuff.

[IMG]http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/rastus/test.jpg[/IMG]
edit--- this image should not go down >.<
here he is
the wire is [url="http://www.polarhome.com:793/~rastus/wip/archer.gif"]here[/url]
little old some things might have changed

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 11/07/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Not bad, just a few quick crits on the model though, his legs seem way too thick at the top in comparison to the rest of his body, also his lower legs seem too short.

Upper body looks good, maybe scale down his quiver a bit, looks too much like he's got a mini bazooka strapped to his back ;) Keep at it.

I'm not much of a texture head but to me the amount of space you've used for the character doesn't reflect the amount of detail in the texture. I recon you could probably squeeze the entire thing into one 512x512.

One more thing, his face should have some shade thrown upon it from his hood, it'd look ace if you just darkened it up a touch.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 13/07/04 - 2:21 AM Permalink

Cool one Rastus, really like this guy, I have a couple of crits/suggestions though

Knees look to be a bit low, and I agree with Wizendoldman in regards to the texture? Any chance you could post the flats?
From what I can see, I would suggest maybe adding a bit more colour variation - maybe putting a desaturated green or a browny colour around the joints, to indicate wear.

Model could probably have been optimised a bit, but thats no real biggy, I guess.. Main observations are lack of straps for the quiver, and the feet.. Well they seem a little odd :) Poor bugger is running around in a brown pair of socks.

Next, I have a couple of comments on the design.. Not sure how useful these will be - but I'm an archer(there is no non nerdy way of saying that, I'm afraid), and there are a few things that jump out at me.

Firstly, the quiver. It's way small :) Arrows are generally a little longer than the arm (from shoulder to tip of fingers).
Second (and this is a little anal), but flappy clothes really don't go well with bow shooting. Well they can, but they usually have a brace over the top - not to protect the arm, but to hold the cloth down. It's something I have run into more often than I would like to :/ Short sleeved shirts on a windy day are the worst for it, I ended up having to stick it down with eletrical tape it was so annoying.

But yep, nice job so far!

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 13/07/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

I like this character [:D] Its your best one I think. I also agree with the comments made above, especially regards the texture space.

Bobs an archer - heed his words. [;)]

Submitted by Stu on Wed, 14/07/04 - 11:48 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Second (and this is a little anal), but flappy clothes really don't go well with bow shooting.

"We're men, men in tight *tight* tights" hee hee sorry couldn't help it.

I agree with all the comments made here, also I'm not sure why you modelled hi with a big toe and then drew shoes on him. You could save yourself a few polys by simply modelling his feet as a boot.

Stu

Submitted by TyKeiL on Thu, 15/07/04 - 8:24 PM Permalink

i think those shoes are meant to be samurai style =P

i want to see a wire,,i recon there's heaps fo wasted poly's in there,

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 16/07/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

the head looks pretty high poly compared to the rest of the model

and i definatly agree with what everyone else said about the texture - lots of space for the amount of detail in it.

looks pretty cool though

Posted by RasTuS on

well i have had this guy modeled and uvw'd for a while but have not been game to texture him until now

so today i decided since my reel is almost ready i opened him up (looked and uv's and shuddered) so i remapped him and started to texture. he is about 2350 tri's and with the bow arrows and blade about 2950 and he had a 512 for the body a 256 for the cloak and a 256 for the rest of his stuff.

[IMG]http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/rastus/test.jpg[/IMG]
edit--- this image should not go down >.<
here he is
the wire is [url="http://www.polarhome.com:793/~rastus/wip/archer.gif"]here[/url]
little old some things might have changed

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 11/07/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Not bad, just a few quick crits on the model though, his legs seem way too thick at the top in comparison to the rest of his body, also his lower legs seem too short.

Upper body looks good, maybe scale down his quiver a bit, looks too much like he's got a mini bazooka strapped to his back ;) Keep at it.

I'm not much of a texture head but to me the amount of space you've used for the character doesn't reflect the amount of detail in the texture. I recon you could probably squeeze the entire thing into one 512x512.

One more thing, his face should have some shade thrown upon it from his hood, it'd look ace if you just darkened it up a touch.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 13/07/04 - 2:21 AM Permalink

Cool one Rastus, really like this guy, I have a couple of crits/suggestions though

Knees look to be a bit low, and I agree with Wizendoldman in regards to the texture? Any chance you could post the flats?
From what I can see, I would suggest maybe adding a bit more colour variation - maybe putting a desaturated green or a browny colour around the joints, to indicate wear.

Model could probably have been optimised a bit, but thats no real biggy, I guess.. Main observations are lack of straps for the quiver, and the feet.. Well they seem a little odd :) Poor bugger is running around in a brown pair of socks.

Next, I have a couple of comments on the design.. Not sure how useful these will be - but I'm an archer(there is no non nerdy way of saying that, I'm afraid), and there are a few things that jump out at me.

Firstly, the quiver. It's way small :) Arrows are generally a little longer than the arm (from shoulder to tip of fingers).
Second (and this is a little anal), but flappy clothes really don't go well with bow shooting. Well they can, but they usually have a brace over the top - not to protect the arm, but to hold the cloth down. It's something I have run into more often than I would like to :/ Short sleeved shirts on a windy day are the worst for it, I ended up having to stick it down with eletrical tape it was so annoying.

But yep, nice job so far!

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 13/07/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

I like this character [:D] Its your best one I think. I also agree with the comments made above, especially regards the texture space.

Bobs an archer - heed his words. [;)]

Submitted by Stu on Wed, 14/07/04 - 11:48 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Second (and this is a little anal), but flappy clothes really don't go well with bow shooting.

"We're men, men in tight *tight* tights" hee hee sorry couldn't help it.

I agree with all the comments made here, also I'm not sure why you modelled hi with a big toe and then drew shoes on him. You could save yourself a few polys by simply modelling his feet as a boot.

Stu

Submitted by TyKeiL on Thu, 15/07/04 - 8:24 PM Permalink

i think those shoes are meant to be samurai style =P

i want to see a wire,,i recon there's heaps fo wasted poly's in there,

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 16/07/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

the head looks pretty high poly compared to the rest of the model

and i definatly agree with what everyone else said about the texture - lots of space for the amount of detail in it.

looks pretty cool though