Skip to main content

Apprentice Thief Of House Morlock, Another concept

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/2d/2d12_morlockthief.jpg[/i…]

I have been experimenting with adding colour in Photoshop to a greyscale shaded pencil drawing as per the way laid out in the Mixed Traditional/Digital Painting Tutorial by Adi Granov. I like the result, but I'm not sure this is the path for me, still interesting.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 12/01/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

I think the effect of pencil and computer colouring has worked well for You (I might be biased as this is my fav way of applying colour[:)]) I think the soft line work of the pencil and the matching 'water colour' appearance of the colour works really well.

Even it you don't personally like the result, I reckon you should keep the technique in you repertoire. It might be worth using for illustrations with a soft/feminine theme.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 12/01/04 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Hey, that rocks pants.
Great details, cool style and very nice colours. It's interesting that the pencil work on her skin gives her an older or more butch look... ie. She's not a 23 year old supermodel in a post apocalyptic world =D

I'm intrigued by the contrast between her skin and her equipment. The equipment is dark (generally) and has strong highlights, while her skin is quite light without any highlights. I suspect adjusting either would create a strange unbalanced effect...

Nice presentation too.

cheers

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/01/04 - 6:02 AM Permalink

Sweet job Pants.

Don't know why you think she needs to be overly sexy Marty, its not stated anywhere that she was conceived that way.

Pants: I still think shes feminine, just in a robustly athletic way, better imagination than the average 'quake 3' chick that gets done.
I for one am glad you tend not to go for the 6ft, 36-24-36 model types, they are a dime a dozen and show no real imagination.

The original sketch is great stuff but I'm not sure about the colouring, seems overly washed out and flat, lacks highlights etc.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 14/01/04 - 6:06 AM Permalink

Marty: Thanks, Although attractive she is also supposed to be in her mid 30s + but a certain amount of roughness is due to the tooth of the paper which I was using. The equipment is obscure and its use would not be known unless you knew the setting. But since you asked...

The barrel and spike things on her back are a large battery and conductor keys used for shorting and overriding large mag locked warehouse doors.

The object in her hand is a small programmable ceramic key card

The chain on her wrist is a sign of her apprenticeship when she can over come the lock on it and free herself she is no longer an apprentice.

JohnN: Thanks, its not so much that I don?t like it, more of a question of preferred ways of working. I do like it and will probably do more stuff like this in the future, but I don?t think it will substitute for my other ways of doing things.

smeg: Thanks, I was not sure how the contrast between her skin and equipment would work out, it was something that I am used to doing when I do just plain pencil sketches. I will probably try it a couple of other ways to see how they work out.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 14/01/04 - 7:24 AM Permalink

Nice pic Pants. I don't have any probs with her rough look. Any woman who looks like they could kick my arse is fine by me :D

Her clothing is quite nice. Simple, yet would be rather effective in any harsh environment.

I especially love how her arm pit worked out. That was very well done.

Although Her skin lacks highlights, I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. Although butch and banged up, it does help to make her look a little softer and more feminine.

I really like her and can't wait to see your next piece :D

Posted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/2d/2d12_morlockthief.jpg[/i…]

I have been experimenting with adding colour in Photoshop to a greyscale shaded pencil drawing as per the way laid out in the Mixed Traditional/Digital Painting Tutorial by Adi Granov. I like the result, but I'm not sure this is the path for me, still interesting.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 12/01/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

I think the effect of pencil and computer colouring has worked well for You (I might be biased as this is my fav way of applying colour[:)]) I think the soft line work of the pencil and the matching 'water colour' appearance of the colour works really well.

Even it you don't personally like the result, I reckon you should keep the technique in you repertoire. It might be worth using for illustrations with a soft/feminine theme.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 12/01/04 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Hey, that rocks pants.
Great details, cool style and very nice colours. It's interesting that the pencil work on her skin gives her an older or more butch look... ie. She's not a 23 year old supermodel in a post apocalyptic world =D

I'm intrigued by the contrast between her skin and her equipment. The equipment is dark (generally) and has strong highlights, while her skin is quite light without any highlights. I suspect adjusting either would create a strange unbalanced effect...

Nice presentation too.

cheers

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/01/04 - 6:02 AM Permalink

Sweet job Pants.

Don't know why you think she needs to be overly sexy Marty, its not stated anywhere that she was conceived that way.

Pants: I still think shes feminine, just in a robustly athletic way, better imagination than the average 'quake 3' chick that gets done.
I for one am glad you tend not to go for the 6ft, 36-24-36 model types, they are a dime a dozen and show no real imagination.

The original sketch is great stuff but I'm not sure about the colouring, seems overly washed out and flat, lacks highlights etc.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 14/01/04 - 6:06 AM Permalink

Marty: Thanks, Although attractive she is also supposed to be in her mid 30s + but a certain amount of roughness is due to the tooth of the paper which I was using. The equipment is obscure and its use would not be known unless you knew the setting. But since you asked...

The barrel and spike things on her back are a large battery and conductor keys used for shorting and overriding large mag locked warehouse doors.

The object in her hand is a small programmable ceramic key card

The chain on her wrist is a sign of her apprenticeship when she can over come the lock on it and free herself she is no longer an apprentice.

JohnN: Thanks, its not so much that I don?t like it, more of a question of preferred ways of working. I do like it and will probably do more stuff like this in the future, but I don?t think it will substitute for my other ways of doing things.

smeg: Thanks, I was not sure how the contrast between her skin and equipment would work out, it was something that I am used to doing when I do just plain pencil sketches. I will probably try it a couple of other ways to see how they work out.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 14/01/04 - 7:24 AM Permalink

Nice pic Pants. I don't have any probs with her rough look. Any woman who looks like they could kick my arse is fine by me :D

Her clothing is quite nice. Simple, yet would be rather effective in any harsh environment.

I especially love how her arm pit worked out. That was very well done.

Although Her skin lacks highlights, I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. Although butch and banged up, it does help to make her look a little softer and more feminine.

I really like her and can't wait to see your next piece :D