Skip to main content

System wars!

hi , here is my next attempt to paint in photoshop.
Please comment!
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/scottiebrack/20058106950_systems…]

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/08/05 - 7:43 PM Permalink

good job, but just a quick comment - try and focus a little more on environmental interaction and unifying all the elements in the scene -- eg, what the base lighting would be on the ships given the environments structure, what the metal would be reflecting (like hinting more at the brownish ground). Little things like this are easy put in by just asking yourself simple questions, like "would the paint occlude that reflection more than the metal because it's more gloss?"

the other thing I noticed is a little more intangible - there's a few little elements which are confusing for a viewer to 'read' easily. The colours of the engine streaks for example teaches me as a viewer that the two ships in the left distance are the same type even though I can't see the ships themselves, however, that rule is broken by the lower right ships engine tail being yellow as opposed to the other two's blue. This sort of thing isn't anything big but it can confuse a viewer... maybe something to think about.

hi , here is my next attempt to paint in photoshop.
Please comment!
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/scottiebrack/20058106950_systems…]

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/08/05 - 7:43 PM Permalink

good job, but just a quick comment - try and focus a little more on environmental interaction and unifying all the elements in the scene -- eg, what the base lighting would be on the ships given the environments structure, what the metal would be reflecting (like hinting more at the brownish ground). Little things like this are easy put in by just asking yourself simple questions, like "would the paint occlude that reflection more than the metal because it's more gloss?"

the other thing I noticed is a little more intangible - there's a few little elements which are confusing for a viewer to 'read' easily. The colours of the engine streaks for example teaches me as a viewer that the two ships in the left distance are the same type even though I can't see the ships themselves, however, that rule is broken by the lower right ships engine tail being yellow as opposed to the other two's blue. This sort of thing isn't anything big but it can confuse a viewer... maybe something to think about.