Skip to main content

Hawk ship

Submitted by Matt on

First post here for me.

The Hawk is a little space ship model that I am working on for fun.
I still have to model the rear landing gear before I move on to mapping and painting.
I think I will have a go at making some normal mapps for this one.

[img]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjps/images/Spaceships/Hawk-WIP.jpg[/img]

[img]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjps/images/Spaceships/Hawk%20023.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:07 AM Permalink

Hah, that is really nice :)
The nose of the ship reminds me of a knife, which helps give a dangerous feel to it. Wether it was on purpose or not, its a very nice touch.
Good stuff

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Nice work there, but if i could comment a bit on the design....

1) the ships engines have intakes ( im assuming thats what they are ) yet the body has been structured so that aerodynamically the intakes would be starved of airflow.

2) the feet used as landing / docking gear, look to be under immense stress being at such an angle, especially with only 2 of them, perhaps another set of gears aft, to counteract the imabalanced look.

Nice work though [:D] and welcome to sumea!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

welcome to sumea
Thats really good, like Makk said the knife design is great.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:24 PM Permalink

Wow that looks cool, it looks like an actuall plastic figure of some sort, are you sure you did it in 3D :)

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

nice work :)
I like the combination of the forms, works well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Something else - is it a manned or un-manned spacecraft ? if manned - i dont see a cockpit of any sort - or any forward facing looking out area [:D] i suppose they could fly blind if they had that tech anyways!! but its nice to be able to see sparkly tractor beams flying towards you [;)]

What is the ship ? cargo ? interceptor ?

Also appologies for commenting on the rear landing gear - i didnt read your original post clear enough and it does state you still have to model them !

Submitted by denz on Fri, 14/05/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

very nice matt [:)] only crit would be what hazard said about the landing gear, other then that, cant wait for some textures!

Submitted by Matt on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments [:)]

HazarD... The idea behind the ship is that it is a single man stealth scout ship. The upper surfaces are going to be coated in a reactive camouflage so that it matches the ground it is flying over. Stealth was also one of the reasons the engine intakes are hidden in the front view.

I hope to get back on to working on this soon. Im in the middle of a big contract job and it is sucking up all my free time. [:(]

Posted by Matt on

First post here for me.

The Hawk is a little space ship model that I am working on for fun.
I still have to model the rear landing gear before I move on to mapping and painting.
I think I will have a go at making some normal mapps for this one.

[img]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjps/images/Spaceships/Hawk-WIP.jpg[/img]

[img]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjps/images/Spaceships/Hawk%20023.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:07 AM Permalink

Hah, that is really nice :)
The nose of the ship reminds me of a knife, which helps give a dangerous feel to it. Wether it was on purpose or not, its a very nice touch.
Good stuff

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Nice work there, but if i could comment a bit on the design....

1) the ships engines have intakes ( im assuming thats what they are ) yet the body has been structured so that aerodynamically the intakes would be starved of airflow.

2) the feet used as landing / docking gear, look to be under immense stress being at such an angle, especially with only 2 of them, perhaps another set of gears aft, to counteract the imabalanced look.

Nice work though [:D] and welcome to sumea!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

welcome to sumea
Thats really good, like Makk said the knife design is great.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:24 PM Permalink

Wow that looks cool, it looks like an actuall plastic figure of some sort, are you sure you did it in 3D :)

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

nice work :)
I like the combination of the forms, works well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Something else - is it a manned or un-manned spacecraft ? if manned - i dont see a cockpit of any sort - or any forward facing looking out area [:D] i suppose they could fly blind if they had that tech anyways!! but its nice to be able to see sparkly tractor beams flying towards you [;)]

What is the ship ? cargo ? interceptor ?

Also appologies for commenting on the rear landing gear - i didnt read your original post clear enough and it does state you still have to model them !

Submitted by denz on Fri, 14/05/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

very nice matt [:)] only crit would be what hazard said about the landing gear, other then that, cant wait for some textures!

Submitted by Matt on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments [:)]

HazarD... The idea behind the ship is that it is a single man stealth scout ship. The upper surfaces are going to be coated in a reactive camouflage so that it matches the ground it is flying over. Stealth was also one of the reasons the engine intakes are hidden in the front view.

I hope to get back on to working on this soon. Im in the middle of a big contract job and it is sucking up all my free time. [:(]