Skip to main content

Lowpoly traditional samurai

Submitted by Idaho on

heres something im working on...[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_wireframeL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Mon, 14/04/03 - 6:25 PM Permalink

looking good Idaho, love the tassles :)

keep us posted with your progress.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Tue, 15/04/03 - 5:19 PM Permalink

he looks great i cant wait to see him textured.
akira kurosawa would be impresed.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 15/04/03 - 7:33 PM Permalink

Looks pretty sweet. Be good to see it textured. If you are aiming for historical accuracy, I would make that sword a fair bit smaller.Katana's generally had only a couple of feet of steel (you'd have to make the hilt shorter too). If you're going for what looks cool - keep it the way it is. Sephiroth and Cloud's swords hardly make for easy carrying!

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 15/04/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Yeh thanks for the tips guys, i think ill leave it the sword big. should have unwrapped it within the next few days. im in between working, fun stuff like this, and making a new folio site in flash. so im very busy hehehe.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 16/04/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

hey luke-
this the 10th samurai??? jk
looks good ;)

bring on the texture.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/04/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

Looks good for a shortish Japanese fellow...

I doubt I could do any better tho... (I'm a coder)

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 16/04/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

There's a few spots where you could use texture rather than polys to define geometry, and you could save a few polys by using an opacity map for the shape of the crest rather than modelling it. But that's just IMHO, and I don't actually know what you're gonna do with it. You've got to animate those tassels, they'll look awesome.

Submitted by Idaho on Thu, 17/04/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Good idea, bunny! i think i will texture the crest. (u do mean the deer antler things dont u?) if that is what u mean then thanks, cant belive i didnt think todo it that way. it should look a lot smoother and sharp that way. :)

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 22/04/03 - 5:22 PM Permalink

hey guys, any more critz before i start texturing him?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 22/04/03 - 9:30 PM Permalink

Like the last model his legs are to short. Fingertips are 1 hand length from knees on average. Yours come to the knees.
Head to groin is the same distance as groin to feet in proportions.

Have you made the crest piece one plane yet?

I dont know about the rope, you could free up those polys maybe use flat planes alpha mapped to do the same thing? If not hope its only 3 sided.

Posted by Idaho on

heres something im working on...[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_wireframeL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Mon, 14/04/03 - 6:25 PM Permalink

looking good Idaho, love the tassles :)

keep us posted with your progress.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Tue, 15/04/03 - 5:19 PM Permalink

he looks great i cant wait to see him textured.
akira kurosawa would be impresed.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 15/04/03 - 7:33 PM Permalink

Looks pretty sweet. Be good to see it textured. If you are aiming for historical accuracy, I would make that sword a fair bit smaller.Katana's generally had only a couple of feet of steel (you'd have to make the hilt shorter too). If you're going for what looks cool - keep it the way it is. Sephiroth and Cloud's swords hardly make for easy carrying!

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 15/04/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Yeh thanks for the tips guys, i think ill leave it the sword big. should have unwrapped it within the next few days. im in between working, fun stuff like this, and making a new folio site in flash. so im very busy hehehe.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 16/04/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

hey luke-
this the 10th samurai??? jk
looks good ;)

bring on the texture.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/04/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

Looks good for a shortish Japanese fellow...

I doubt I could do any better tho... (I'm a coder)

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 16/04/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

There's a few spots where you could use texture rather than polys to define geometry, and you could save a few polys by using an opacity map for the shape of the crest rather than modelling it. But that's just IMHO, and I don't actually know what you're gonna do with it. You've got to animate those tassels, they'll look awesome.

Submitted by Idaho on Thu, 17/04/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Good idea, bunny! i think i will texture the crest. (u do mean the deer antler things dont u?) if that is what u mean then thanks, cant belive i didnt think todo it that way. it should look a lot smoother and sharp that way. :)

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 22/04/03 - 5:22 PM Permalink

hey guys, any more critz before i start texturing him?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 22/04/03 - 9:30 PM Permalink

Like the last model his legs are to short. Fingertips are 1 hand length from knees on average. Yours come to the knees.
Head to groin is the same distance as groin to feet in proportions.

Have you made the crest piece one plane yet?

I dont know about the rope, you could free up those polys maybe use flat planes alpha mapped to do the same thing? If not hope its only 3 sided.