Skip to main content

zbrush woes!

Submitted by denz on

Well today I had my first crack at Zbrush and I thought it was great. I started these two models but I saved them the wrong way so thats the end of em [V] heh. Anyway, just thought I'd share them.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/yahh.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 14/05/04 - 10:58 AM Permalink

damn they look nice man..... love the detail in the saggy skin etc !!

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:23 PM Permalink

Thats cool, i would crit you about the ears being to inset into the head but there dead so....

nice work

Submitted by denz on Fri, 14/05/04 - 8:41 PM Permalink

thanx guys :) Yeah the ears are way too high and inset on the right one. sorry, wish I could apply the crits heh.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 15/05/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Hey Denz did you create those from scratch in Z-brush or did you import the mesh and then work on it?

I found modelling in Z-brush very fiddly and really wanted to try out importing a mesh and detailing it but the demo doesn't allow that function. : Oh well.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 15/05/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

hey wizenedooldman. Nah I didnt do any importing, I just used Zspheres.

Those heads are just one zshere then subdivided, played around with, then subdivided again and so on. [:)]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

I might just dump all my 3d in here [:)] Heres a lopoly wip of some guy.

I'm using 3dsMax and for some reason, it wont let me 'cut' into him anymore, the tool just won't work. It will work on other objects in the same scene however. Has anyone ever had this problem? or know how to fix it?[:D] I guess I'll just use connect's. oh, and it's editable poly.

Might try normal map aswell.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/bleble.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

Ok. It's bedtime and this is what I've done on him. Almost blocked him out. heh, I take faar too long on these things. Right now he stands at 1548 triangles. I'm having a bit of trouble with the arms but I'm pretty happy with the face atm, first time Iv'e got all quady goodness but I'm sure that will change [;)]

Also I wanna give him a devily creature look so I'll be giving him bit larger then normal hands and maybe some horns of some sort. Open to suggentions and of course crits.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/Untitled-1_copy.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 16/05/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

id like to see how this progresses, keep going denz :) although he is at blockout stage at the moment, shrink that head down just a tad, its a bit large at the moment, and the neck is a tad thick too [:D]

Ill comment on other areas, when youve gone a bit further, but thats a pretty good start man [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 17/05/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

That looks great so far, but im sure that there are a lot of wasted tris especially on the head. But you probably arent optimizing while your doing it. But it's great, nice work.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 17/05/04 - 7:30 PM Permalink

haha, EVERYTIME I make the head to big, I don't know why, it's always the first thing people comment bout my models. anyway, thanx for picking that up, I'll be sure to shrink it down along with the neck.

bullet, yeah I usually leave major optimizing till last, where do you suggest the wasted poly's are?

thanx for your comments.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 19/05/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

Thats your first model?? its pretty damn good man...

Heres a few things from a look at it..some minor - but then again im pretty picky [:D]

1) If it were me id increas the length of his arms about another half hand length.

2) The polygonal distribution is heavy in some areas and really light in others, which doesnt matter all that much, depending again on what you are planning for this guy. Areas like his thighs look barren of polys compared to say his knee and calf region.

3) the area below his calfs on the boots looks a tad spindly, while hes not a huge dude, i would beef them up a bit - to even out the characters weight.

4) the polyflow is a bit hectic in some areas, which will make animation difficult, esp in the hard to animate areas like the shoulders etc.

Apart from that - im pretty impressed with the head model - although i cant see it all that closely it looks pretty good from afar - but as bullet21 said - it does look poly heavy compared to the rest of the model, but once again thats perfectly fine depending on the application. Ive found that most jobs give me a budget and specs, and i have to build with those in mind. I think that helps to produce a better end result, as you know exactly how the character will be viewed, and youll have a better idea of where to add detail and spend that extra 100 tris you have left over when youve blocked out the model.

thats my 2 cents anyways [:D]

Anyways its a great start man - im pretty impresse d keep goin!

Submitted by denz on Wed, 19/05/04 - 4:02 AM Permalink

hey thanx. I didnt say this was my first model though heh [:p] I think you got mixed up with zbrush.

With the poly distrobution, yeah I know what you mean, I think I put too many into the arms, probably cos I've never modeled muscle definition in the arms before and wanted to give that a shot. With the calves, it probably looks like its heavier cos I chucked loops in there for knee deformations.
I'll definately try and clean that shoulder up, animating the shoulder always gives me problems.[:(!]

I'll also have a look with the proportions you mentioned, calfs, arms.

I've given him teeth aswell, so I guess he would be a character that would have facial close ups in cinematics or whatever.
thanx[:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 19/05/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

yer as hazard said the legs look a bit spindly, and at the moment you boots look like gumboots, maybe a buckle or two or perhaps just have a look at a real boot and try to recreate its curves and such.

and as weird and odd as it is it has to be mentioned, his butt crack is going up his back, it should go down to between his legs (or perhaps i just cant see all of it very well). But if its being covered by a loincloth thingy (seems to be in wireframe dump) i dont supposed it really matters.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

hehe yeah gumboots. Hopefully the txture will bring the combat out of em [:)] Also I got some ref of boots and refined the shape a bit, thanx.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the butt crack? Anyway, loinclothes do the trick [:D]

Finished UV's, texturing away

Submitted by denz on Tue, 25/05/04 - 9:25 AM Permalink

FINALLY finished the texture! Thanx moonunit for the refs [:)]. they helped out even though it might not show to well heh.

Thanx for the crits hazard n moonunit, I extended the arms and widened the boots along with some other stuff.

The UVlayout is a bit stuffed. I gave the legs WAY too much texture space, not to mention the hips which are covered by loin cloth anyway.

1024x1024. Crits welcomed again [:D]
edit: 100 self illumination is probably better.
[img]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1568/Untitled-1copy23.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/guyFace.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/devil_copy.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 25/05/04 - 10:56 AM Permalink

Comment : first impressions are that its pretty good man, well done (y)

Crits : Theres a lot of wasted space on that 1024x1024. With urban Brawl, the specs and amount of rendered objects and enhancing features - i only have a single 512 for each character, and trust me i use every single bit of that acreage i possibly can :D

Secondly even though he is a demonspawnish type guy - it almost looks as though hes spent too long in a tanning salon rather than have demonish skin. The face and legs look like you have painted them in one hit, then lost your palette anf had to start again for the chest - as the colours are quite different for the torso. also the highlights on the torso look a tad to harsh - the legs look heaps better IMO.
NOt sure if you used a noise filter to give the skin a pore-ish look but i think its a bit harsh, once again IMO.

Other than that - i think its a fairly decent shot man! and i like the iris texture quite alot too!

Submitted by denz on Tue, 25/05/04 - 10:52 PM Permalink

thanx hazard [:)]

Yeah I definately agree with the uv layout. I guess I was just being lazy. Next time i'll take a bit more time laying them out. theres alot of wasted space there[:p]

hehe, well I actually did the chest first, and yeah I'm not entirely happy with it even though this is probably my best texture so far.
With the highlights they are pretty harsh. It was intended but I took it over board with the chest probably, came out cartoonish. I'll try and tone it down a little if i can. With the skin, I used an overlay, I'll see if I can tone that down a bit too.

thanx again [:D]

With the normal map, I really wanna try and see if i can do it but no promises, cos I don't know if I will have the time. I have the lighting values on a seperate layer in photoshop so I can tone it down. I'm guessing you wouldn't want lighting information with a normal map?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 25/05/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

well i think hazard covered most of it, the harsh highlights on the chest and the whole thing looks like its come out weird in the same way things look after you add a noise filter, i dont know if you did that to add texture to his skin or whatever but it id go without if you did.

other then that he looks pretty cool, its a neat little design youve got there and despite the technical hitches (well sorta technical) with the skin it actually looks pretty neat. oh and your welcome (for the reference pics)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:11 AM Permalink

yeah, i'll try n tone the texture of the skin down a bit. thanx [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 6:28 PM Permalink

The colour of the skin reminds me for some reason of those old EGA games, they were along the same kinda colour weren't they. The texture of the abs looks way to defined if you know what i mean same with the wrinkles on the pecs. The transition from his head to the horns seems to quick as well. It kinda just looks like they've been Auto-Grided.

But other then that you've doen an awesome job. Especially the detail on the shoulders and face.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:40 PM Permalink

yeah your kinda right about the horns bullet... hmm i wonder if its even possible to play around with the UVs in a way so you could have the horns on the same texture peice as the head/back
probably not effectively

Submitted by denz on Thu, 27/05/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

Not quite sure what EGA games aer, but cool heh [:)] Yeah I'm quite unhappy with the front of the texture, but I think it's better to move onto the next one and rectify my problems there, then redo this one.

With the transition of the horns, they do look abrupt, but I don't think I could really avoid having no seams on the head. Too much distortion so I went with seams. I think whats lacking is a soft shadow, Theyre sort of just floating there.

Thanx [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 1:59 AM Permalink

EGA was like a predecessor to VGA i think, it only had a couple of hundred colours. I'd think your right aboout the lack of soft shadow thing, it does seem a bit harsh.

Posted by denz on

Well today I had my first crack at Zbrush and I thought it was great. I started these two models but I saved them the wrong way so thats the end of em [V] heh. Anyway, just thought I'd share them.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/yahh.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 14/05/04 - 10:58 AM Permalink

damn they look nice man..... love the detail in the saggy skin etc !!

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:23 PM Permalink

Thats cool, i would crit you about the ears being to inset into the head but there dead so....

nice work

Submitted by denz on Fri, 14/05/04 - 8:41 PM Permalink

thanx guys :) Yeah the ears are way too high and inset on the right one. sorry, wish I could apply the crits heh.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 15/05/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Hey Denz did you create those from scratch in Z-brush or did you import the mesh and then work on it?

I found modelling in Z-brush very fiddly and really wanted to try out importing a mesh and detailing it but the demo doesn't allow that function. : Oh well.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 15/05/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

hey wizenedooldman. Nah I didnt do any importing, I just used Zspheres.

Those heads are just one zshere then subdivided, played around with, then subdivided again and so on. [:)]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

I might just dump all my 3d in here [:)] Heres a lopoly wip of some guy.

I'm using 3dsMax and for some reason, it wont let me 'cut' into him anymore, the tool just won't work. It will work on other objects in the same scene however. Has anyone ever had this problem? or know how to fix it?[:D] I guess I'll just use connect's. oh, and it's editable poly.

Might try normal map aswell.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/bleble.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

Ok. It's bedtime and this is what I've done on him. Almost blocked him out. heh, I take faar too long on these things. Right now he stands at 1548 triangles. I'm having a bit of trouble with the arms but I'm pretty happy with the face atm, first time Iv'e got all quady goodness but I'm sure that will change [;)]

Also I wanna give him a devily creature look so I'll be giving him bit larger then normal hands and maybe some horns of some sort. Open to suggentions and of course crits.

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/Untitled-1_copy.jpg[/…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 16/05/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

id like to see how this progresses, keep going denz :) although he is at blockout stage at the moment, shrink that head down just a tad, its a bit large at the moment, and the neck is a tad thick too [:D]

Ill comment on other areas, when youve gone a bit further, but thats a pretty good start man [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 17/05/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

That looks great so far, but im sure that there are a lot of wasted tris especially on the head. But you probably arent optimizing while your doing it. But it's great, nice work.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 17/05/04 - 7:30 PM Permalink

haha, EVERYTIME I make the head to big, I don't know why, it's always the first thing people comment bout my models. anyway, thanx for picking that up, I'll be sure to shrink it down along with the neck.

bullet, yeah I usually leave major optimizing till last, where do you suggest the wasted poly's are?

thanx for your comments.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 19/05/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

Thats your first model?? its pretty damn good man...

Heres a few things from a look at it..some minor - but then again im pretty picky [:D]

1) If it were me id increas the length of his arms about another half hand length.

2) The polygonal distribution is heavy in some areas and really light in others, which doesnt matter all that much, depending again on what you are planning for this guy. Areas like his thighs look barren of polys compared to say his knee and calf region.

3) the area below his calfs on the boots looks a tad spindly, while hes not a huge dude, i would beef them up a bit - to even out the characters weight.

4) the polyflow is a bit hectic in some areas, which will make animation difficult, esp in the hard to animate areas like the shoulders etc.

Apart from that - im pretty impressed with the head model - although i cant see it all that closely it looks pretty good from afar - but as bullet21 said - it does look poly heavy compared to the rest of the model, but once again thats perfectly fine depending on the application. Ive found that most jobs give me a budget and specs, and i have to build with those in mind. I think that helps to produce a better end result, as you know exactly how the character will be viewed, and youll have a better idea of where to add detail and spend that extra 100 tris you have left over when youve blocked out the model.

thats my 2 cents anyways [:D]

Anyways its a great start man - im pretty impresse d keep goin!

Submitted by denz on Wed, 19/05/04 - 4:02 AM Permalink

hey thanx. I didnt say this was my first model though heh [:p] I think you got mixed up with zbrush.

With the poly distrobution, yeah I know what you mean, I think I put too many into the arms, probably cos I've never modeled muscle definition in the arms before and wanted to give that a shot. With the calves, it probably looks like its heavier cos I chucked loops in there for knee deformations.
I'll definately try and clean that shoulder up, animating the shoulder always gives me problems.[:(!]

I'll also have a look with the proportions you mentioned, calfs, arms.

I've given him teeth aswell, so I guess he would be a character that would have facial close ups in cinematics or whatever.
thanx[:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 19/05/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

yer as hazard said the legs look a bit spindly, and at the moment you boots look like gumboots, maybe a buckle or two or perhaps just have a look at a real boot and try to recreate its curves and such.

and as weird and odd as it is it has to be mentioned, his butt crack is going up his back, it should go down to between his legs (or perhaps i just cant see all of it very well). But if its being covered by a loincloth thingy (seems to be in wireframe dump) i dont supposed it really matters.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

hehe yeah gumboots. Hopefully the txture will bring the combat out of em [:)] Also I got some ref of boots and refined the shape a bit, thanx.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the butt crack? Anyway, loinclothes do the trick [:D]

Finished UV's, texturing away

Submitted by denz on Tue, 25/05/04 - 9:25 AM Permalink

FINALLY finished the texture! Thanx moonunit for the refs [:)]. they helped out even though it might not show to well heh.

Thanx for the crits hazard n moonunit, I extended the arms and widened the boots along with some other stuff.

The UVlayout is a bit stuffed. I gave the legs WAY too much texture space, not to mention the hips which are covered by loin cloth anyway.

1024x1024. Crits welcomed again [:D]
edit: 100 self illumination is probably better.
[img]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1568/Untitled-1copy23.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/guyFace.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/devil_copy.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 25/05/04 - 10:56 AM Permalink

Comment : first impressions are that its pretty good man, well done (y)

Crits : Theres a lot of wasted space on that 1024x1024. With urban Brawl, the specs and amount of rendered objects and enhancing features - i only have a single 512 for each character, and trust me i use every single bit of that acreage i possibly can :D

Secondly even though he is a demonspawnish type guy - it almost looks as though hes spent too long in a tanning salon rather than have demonish skin. The face and legs look like you have painted them in one hit, then lost your palette anf had to start again for the chest - as the colours are quite different for the torso. also the highlights on the torso look a tad to harsh - the legs look heaps better IMO.
NOt sure if you used a noise filter to give the skin a pore-ish look but i think its a bit harsh, once again IMO.

Other than that - i think its a fairly decent shot man! and i like the iris texture quite alot too!

Submitted by denz on Tue, 25/05/04 - 10:52 PM Permalink

thanx hazard [:)]

Yeah I definately agree with the uv layout. I guess I was just being lazy. Next time i'll take a bit more time laying them out. theres alot of wasted space there[:p]

hehe, well I actually did the chest first, and yeah I'm not entirely happy with it even though this is probably my best texture so far.
With the highlights they are pretty harsh. It was intended but I took it over board with the chest probably, came out cartoonish. I'll try and tone it down a little if i can. With the skin, I used an overlay, I'll see if I can tone that down a bit too.

thanx again [:D]

With the normal map, I really wanna try and see if i can do it but no promises, cos I don't know if I will have the time. I have the lighting values on a seperate layer in photoshop so I can tone it down. I'm guessing you wouldn't want lighting information with a normal map?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 25/05/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

well i think hazard covered most of it, the harsh highlights on the chest and the whole thing looks like its come out weird in the same way things look after you add a noise filter, i dont know if you did that to add texture to his skin or whatever but it id go without if you did.

other then that he looks pretty cool, its a neat little design youve got there and despite the technical hitches (well sorta technical) with the skin it actually looks pretty neat. oh and your welcome (for the reference pics)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:11 AM Permalink

yeah, i'll try n tone the texture of the skin down a bit. thanx [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 6:28 PM Permalink

The colour of the skin reminds me for some reason of those old EGA games, they were along the same kinda colour weren't they. The texture of the abs looks way to defined if you know what i mean same with the wrinkles on the pecs. The transition from his head to the horns seems to quick as well. It kinda just looks like they've been Auto-Grided.

But other then that you've doen an awesome job. Especially the detail on the shoulders and face.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:40 PM Permalink

yeah your kinda right about the horns bullet... hmm i wonder if its even possible to play around with the UVs in a way so you could have the horns on the same texture peice as the head/back
probably not effectively

Submitted by denz on Thu, 27/05/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

Not quite sure what EGA games aer, but cool heh [:)] Yeah I'm quite unhappy with the front of the texture, but I think it's better to move onto the next one and rectify my problems there, then redo this one.

With the transition of the horns, they do look abrupt, but I don't think I could really avoid having no seams on the head. Too much distortion so I went with seams. I think whats lacking is a soft shadow, Theyre sort of just floating there.

Thanx [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 1:59 AM Permalink

EGA was like a predecessor to VGA i think, it only had a couple of hundred colours. I'd think your right aboout the lack of soft shadow thing, it does seem a bit harsh.