Skip to main content

portfolio feedback

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

A while ago I posted my illustration folio to get some feedback and direction on how to tailor it towards the games industry.

Finally I think the renovation is nearing completion! I would like to give it a public airing and get feedback on all aspects before I go sending it off to various companies.

All feedback, especially from games industry and recruitement people, would be greatly appreciated.

the pdf is 1.01M (right click and 'save target as' to download rather than view online)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/extras/JohnNewall_samples.PDF

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/07/04 - 3:57 PM Permalink

Moved your post to exhibition, hopefully it'll get more reponses here.

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 25/07/04 - 8:15 PM Permalink

Nice portfolio, the design and layout is great, but the quality of teh images leaves a bit to be desired. Hmmm maybe that reads wrong, your images are great but they're really aliased, and there's jagged white edges around some of them. I think a little more work in the presentation of the images would really help polish this up.

Stu

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 26/07/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Yeah the image qaulity is suffering since you probably want the filesize pretty small.
The artwork itself is pretty darn good, though more full colour work would be good for it.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/07/04 - 3:11 PM Permalink

I absolutely love the design of the portolio. It's simple, uncluttered, and clean. *Great* job on that.

You've covered a variety of areas of concept design, but I think I would have loved to have seen more on character design. I know the Sumea portfolio tips article says not to include TOO much, but I think more than 2 characters is essential. You're quite capable of filling them in with colour as well, so some characters with colour would be ideal.

Probably to slant the portfolio more to game development (and something you'll most likely do as a concept artist) is to mock up front and side profiles of character designs (making sure that their details match up accurately), ready for the modellers..

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 30/07/04 - 12:47 AM Permalink

thanks for the feedback. Regarding the 'jagged white edges' I have assumend that they are the bits around the orc and ogre- problem fixed (but not uploaded yet). The general image quality is a bit of a balancing act. I want to keep the file size about 1 meg, this means all images at 72dpi. Its looks fine at 100% size on screen but gets chunky with any enlargement. At the end of the day the image quality is no better or worse than if I used a website instead of a PDF and I can do print quality pdf if needed for 'in-person' presentation and the layout control is better/more flexable

More colour work- check. if I could finish off that damn character protrait quick activity i could do front and side views of that character and it would make a nice addition too.

Souri, thanks for moving the thread and the comments too :) I did browse the thread about matching front and side pics on character sheets and the associated moddelling issues.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

Why do you want it at 1meg? Most companies would have high speed internet so they wouldnt worry about filesize.

Posted by Johnn on

A while ago I posted my illustration folio to get some feedback and direction on how to tailor it towards the games industry.

Finally I think the renovation is nearing completion! I would like to give it a public airing and get feedback on all aspects before I go sending it off to various companies.

All feedback, especially from games industry and recruitement people, would be greatly appreciated.

the pdf is 1.01M (right click and 'save target as' to download rather than view online)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/extras/JohnNewall_samples.PDF

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/07/04 - 3:57 PM Permalink

Moved your post to exhibition, hopefully it'll get more reponses here.

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 25/07/04 - 8:15 PM Permalink

Nice portfolio, the design and layout is great, but the quality of teh images leaves a bit to be desired. Hmmm maybe that reads wrong, your images are great but they're really aliased, and there's jagged white edges around some of them. I think a little more work in the presentation of the images would really help polish this up.

Stu

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 26/07/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Yeah the image qaulity is suffering since you probably want the filesize pretty small.
The artwork itself is pretty darn good, though more full colour work would be good for it.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/07/04 - 3:11 PM Permalink

I absolutely love the design of the portolio. It's simple, uncluttered, and clean. *Great* job on that.

You've covered a variety of areas of concept design, but I think I would have loved to have seen more on character design. I know the Sumea portfolio tips article says not to include TOO much, but I think more than 2 characters is essential. You're quite capable of filling them in with colour as well, so some characters with colour would be ideal.

Probably to slant the portfolio more to game development (and something you'll most likely do as a concept artist) is to mock up front and side profiles of character designs (making sure that their details match up accurately), ready for the modellers..

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 30/07/04 - 12:47 AM Permalink

thanks for the feedback. Regarding the 'jagged white edges' I have assumend that they are the bits around the orc and ogre- problem fixed (but not uploaded yet). The general image quality is a bit of a balancing act. I want to keep the file size about 1 meg, this means all images at 72dpi. Its looks fine at 100% size on screen but gets chunky with any enlargement. At the end of the day the image quality is no better or worse than if I used a website instead of a PDF and I can do print quality pdf if needed for 'in-person' presentation and the layout control is better/more flexable

More colour work- check. if I could finish off that damn character protrait quick activity i could do front and side views of that character and it would make a nice addition too.

Souri, thanks for moving the thread and the comments too :) I did browse the thread about matching front and side pics on character sheets and the associated moddelling issues.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

Why do you want it at 1meg? Most companies would have high speed internet so they wouldnt worry about filesize.