Skip to main content

Roo Man

Submitted by palantir on

This was originally going to be my entry for the modelling comp, but I didn?t find the time to get anything done past the mass blocking by the due date for the comp. I?ve decided to keep at it since I need to learn, so I thought I?d post my progress to help motivate me to keep going with it.

It?s supposed to be a human/kangaroo mix.

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/dl/mark/sumea/roo_man02.jpg[/img]

I?m aiming for a max poly count of 2000 tris. It?s on 1014 tris ATM. The rigged pics down the bottom show the idea of how it?s natural/idle stance will be, which is why I modelled it hunched over. I?m not sure if that was the right thing to do, since it made modelling more difficult?

Obviously it still needs more detail, but I?ve got about 1000 poly?s left in the budget. I?m thinking the face should have about 500 ? 600 polys (sound right?) and probably a snout making it more animal then human. ? I still need to do more concept drawings for the face.

And crits/advice would be much appreciated. [:)]

I?m pretty slow, but I?ll update as I progress.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 14/10/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Reallly cool!!

I think you did reasonably well with the original pose. What I would do is determine what this character will be used for / how he will move in game - and build it in a natural pose thats pretty much half way between the maximums of his movement ( but keeping it neutral at the same time to balance the difficulty of modelling Vs animation / deformation etc.

Dont give up [:D]

If that makes any sense [:P]

Posted by palantir on

This was originally going to be my entry for the modelling comp, but I didn?t find the time to get anything done past the mass blocking by the due date for the comp. I?ve decided to keep at it since I need to learn, so I thought I?d post my progress to help motivate me to keep going with it.

It?s supposed to be a human/kangaroo mix.

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/dl/mark/sumea/roo_man02.jpg[/img]

I?m aiming for a max poly count of 2000 tris. It?s on 1014 tris ATM. The rigged pics down the bottom show the idea of how it?s natural/idle stance will be, which is why I modelled it hunched over. I?m not sure if that was the right thing to do, since it made modelling more difficult?

Obviously it still needs more detail, but I?ve got about 1000 poly?s left in the budget. I?m thinking the face should have about 500 ? 600 polys (sound right?) and probably a snout making it more animal then human. ? I still need to do more concept drawings for the face.

And crits/advice would be much appreciated. [:)]

I?m pretty slow, but I?ll update as I progress.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 14/10/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Reallly cool!!

I think you did reasonably well with the original pose. What I would do is determine what this character will be used for / how he will move in game - and build it in a natural pose thats pretty much half way between the maximums of his movement ( but keeping it neutral at the same time to balance the difficulty of modelling Vs animation / deformation etc.

Dont give up [:D]

If that makes any sense [:P]