Skip to main content

Ugly Space Person

Submitted by GoLDeN on

Hi, just wondering where I should go with this character, any ideas would be cool, I was thinking of adding jetpacks on his back + some sort of weird eye tek eyebit. thanks..

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/GoLDeN/2004111392312_uglyspacedu…"]uglyspacedude4.jpg[/url]
117.54 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 14/11/04 - 2:06 PM Permalink

Hiya Golden [:)] How about a clearer full body render, front , side and 3/4 it will be easier to see the overall nature of this interesting beast and make it a bit easier to offer some guidance.

I think he looks quite StarTrek-ish at the moment - with a nice texture coming along.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/11/04 - 6:55 PM Permalink

I agree about the "starTrek-ish" nature of him. Here's a few things he could be improved with:

- tighter crease control: cut a few more edges in around the creasing to improve your control over the folds so they don't have so much of the rigid dip look

- rounded contours: at the moment as a whole he's very chiselled in his features. Even the thorniest lizard has a soft underbelly [:)] varying the hard relief angles with soft contours on major flowing bulks of area gives a more natural and organic look.

- meat meat meat: giving a soft dusting of pinks and reds on large meaty areas can better communicate flesh and meat under that brown skin. If you can, link it up with SSS/density/ and spec. Also, thinner areas such as the nose could do with the same treatment.

- more history: wear the edges of the metal in major exposed areas, sunbleach the plastic, stain the cloth -- wear and tear is a good thing, but never rely on texture overlays to do this. You need to wear and give the surface history locally and intelligently, where it should happen.

Anyways, there's some more broader tips, he's going well. Lastly, how deep are his nostrils? maybe it's just the render but they look very shallow.

Good job, keep it up.

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 17/11/04 - 11:37 AM Permalink

Hey, thanks for the comments, yeh I agree the skin needs more work, was planning to get to that sometime, this guy has been through afew phases of stuff, it actualy started as a low poly character, so the body is not really suited to doing much more than that..but I tried adding this new head etc..I am thinking scrap it and start something fresh.
Here is how he looked last week sometime..maybe I'll leave him like this..

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/GoLDeN/200411168350_uglyspacedud…"]uglyspacedude5.jpg[/url]
120.89 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 17/11/04 - 2:59 PM Permalink

I really like that texture, the first thing that came to mind was a antartic based trooper - something quite different to the first shot you posted.

I really like how the metals are coming along, no doubt the materials arent finished yet along with the funky black areas with wireframe showing through [:P] I think itd be good to see that guy finished off!

Posted by GoLDeN on

Hi, just wondering where I should go with this character, any ideas would be cool, I was thinking of adding jetpacks on his back + some sort of weird eye tek eyebit. thanks..

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/GoLDeN/2004111392312_uglyspacedu…"]uglyspacedude4.jpg[/url]
117.54 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 14/11/04 - 2:06 PM Permalink

Hiya Golden [:)] How about a clearer full body render, front , side and 3/4 it will be easier to see the overall nature of this interesting beast and make it a bit easier to offer some guidance.

I think he looks quite StarTrek-ish at the moment - with a nice texture coming along.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/11/04 - 6:55 PM Permalink

I agree about the "starTrek-ish" nature of him. Here's a few things he could be improved with:

- tighter crease control: cut a few more edges in around the creasing to improve your control over the folds so they don't have so much of the rigid dip look

- rounded contours: at the moment as a whole he's very chiselled in his features. Even the thorniest lizard has a soft underbelly [:)] varying the hard relief angles with soft contours on major flowing bulks of area gives a more natural and organic look.

- meat meat meat: giving a soft dusting of pinks and reds on large meaty areas can better communicate flesh and meat under that brown skin. If you can, link it up with SSS/density/ and spec. Also, thinner areas such as the nose could do with the same treatment.

- more history: wear the edges of the metal in major exposed areas, sunbleach the plastic, stain the cloth -- wear and tear is a good thing, but never rely on texture overlays to do this. You need to wear and give the surface history locally and intelligently, where it should happen.

Anyways, there's some more broader tips, he's going well. Lastly, how deep are his nostrils? maybe it's just the render but they look very shallow.

Good job, keep it up.

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 17/11/04 - 11:37 AM Permalink

Hey, thanks for the comments, yeh I agree the skin needs more work, was planning to get to that sometime, this guy has been through afew phases of stuff, it actualy started as a low poly character, so the body is not really suited to doing much more than that..but I tried adding this new head etc..I am thinking scrap it and start something fresh.
Here is how he looked last week sometime..maybe I'll leave him like this..

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/GoLDeN/200411168350_uglyspacedud…"]uglyspacedude5.jpg[/url]
120.89 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 17/11/04 - 2:59 PM Permalink

I really like that texture, the first thing that came to mind was a antartic based trooper - something quite different to the first shot you posted.

I really like how the metals are coming along, no doubt the materials arent finished yet along with the funky black areas with wireframe showing through [:P] I think itd be good to see that guy finished off!