Skip to main content

"Driving Speed" Racing Game WIP tech demo 1.2

Submitted by megaderek on

Here is a tech demo of a little game I've been working on in my spare time

A demo can be downloaded from here:
http://www.megaderek.com

Oh yeah you will need a graphics card that supports pixel shaders.
And there are still a quite a few glitches in the demo.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/megaderek/200510144048_shadows.j…]

Submitted by Delmo on Sat, 15/10/05 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Hey, nice work. Looks amazing very impressive. What did you use to create the demo.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 15/10/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

maaate. that was mad, great job!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 15/10/05 - 9:08 PM Permalink

hey just had a go, thats awesome. There's obviously a lot to do yet but i weird bug i found was i actually managed to pull a flying barell roll when i drove into some weird invisible ditch around about the entrance to the pits. Was kinda cool though, i landed on my wheels :P

Submitted by megaderek on Sun, 16/10/05 - 7:25 AM Permalink

I used VC++ and coded the graphics engine with DirectX 9
There are still some bugs in parts of the track to do with physics, I'm not worried about them much at the moment.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 18/10/05 - 10:22 AM Permalink

Looks sweet; from an artists pov your reflections could use a bit of fresnel component tweaking, and your darks are too black (too dense, and no opposite colour temperature) -- have you thought about using a motogp2 style hemespheric lighting solution?

anyways, looking cool, keep at it! [:D]

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 19/10/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

megaderek, that's very impressive, great stuff!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 19/10/05 - 4:26 AM Permalink

You did this in your spare time? What do you do fulltime? o_O If you're not working for Ratbag/Midway Australia, I'd imagine they'd be wanting to knock down your door to grab you right this minute [;)] Very impressive stuff. Who modelled the level?

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 19/10/05 - 5:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

You did this in your spare time? What do you do fulltime? o_O If you're not working for Ratbag/Midway Australia, I'd imagine they'd be wanting to knock down your door to grab you right this minute [;)] Very impressive stuff. Who modelled the level?

They'll have to be quick... I've got my sights on him [;)]

Submitted by Kizza on Wed, 19/10/05 - 6:51 AM Permalink

Yeah, excellent job man!

My only crit for it is the edges around objects tend to go blue when you're at a distance. I'm imagining this is due to mipmapping? So this should just be in the texture, not the engine or anything.

I also found I was driving too fast for my own good, once I realised how to drive slow but faster than the competition I had got the hang of it.

Submitted by nealb4me on Wed, 19/10/05 - 6:57 AM Permalink

Excellent stuff, I think your specular bloom effect is much nicer than that seen in Toca Race Driver 2. I'm in Adelaide too ;) (and no...I'm not coming on to you, I'm not that sort of guy :P) Keep going.

Submitted by megaderek on Wed, 19/10/05 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Hi all thanks for the positive feedback.

I guess I should get around to fixing the alpha blending issues around the edges of trees, fences and powerlines. I just haven't gotten around to setting up the alpha sorting on that track yet as its just a placeholder at the moment. My highest priority at the moment is to finish the AI.

J.I. Styles - at the moment I've decided to keep to a minimum spec of pixel shader 1.1 so it still runs nice on geforce3 cards. So at the moment I've stretched that to the limit with my car rendering and couldn't do motogp style hemispheric unless I sacrifice one of my other effects or do a second pass to achieve it, only the lower spec cards would need the extra pass and I don't want those cards to be penalized as they are already lower in performance. I might enable some fancier lighting that ps 2.0 and above cards can take advantage of but I'll leave that for a low priority for now.

Souri - The track was modelled by a bunch of guys that made add-on tracks for Sports Car GT and F1 2002, they go by the name Team ORSM. The car was made for my game by a guy called Darryl Mills. We are currently working on more cars.

Submitted by brataccas on Sat, 05/11/05 - 2:01 PM Permalink

This game is awesome i cant stop playing it, I have loads of funny pics of crashes hehe. The AI is mad! i managed to get a piggy back ride on top of another car and I was up there for about a minute! great job to whoever made this demo. I found it on the latest PC gamer disc [:)]

Posted by megaderek on

Here is a tech demo of a little game I've been working on in my spare time

A demo can be downloaded from here:
http://www.megaderek.com

Oh yeah you will need a graphics card that supports pixel shaders.
And there are still a quite a few glitches in the demo.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/megaderek/200510144048_shadows.j…]

Submitted by Delmo on Sat, 15/10/05 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Hey, nice work. Looks amazing very impressive. What did you use to create the demo.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 15/10/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

maaate. that was mad, great job!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 15/10/05 - 9:08 PM Permalink

hey just had a go, thats awesome. There's obviously a lot to do yet but i weird bug i found was i actually managed to pull a flying barell roll when i drove into some weird invisible ditch around about the entrance to the pits. Was kinda cool though, i landed on my wheels :P

Submitted by megaderek on Sun, 16/10/05 - 7:25 AM Permalink

I used VC++ and coded the graphics engine with DirectX 9
There are still some bugs in parts of the track to do with physics, I'm not worried about them much at the moment.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 18/10/05 - 10:22 AM Permalink

Looks sweet; from an artists pov your reflections could use a bit of fresnel component tweaking, and your darks are too black (too dense, and no opposite colour temperature) -- have you thought about using a motogp2 style hemespheric lighting solution?

anyways, looking cool, keep at it! [:D]

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 19/10/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

megaderek, that's very impressive, great stuff!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 19/10/05 - 4:26 AM Permalink

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 19/10/05 - 5:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

They'll have to be quick... I've got my sights on him [;)]

Submitted by Kizza on Wed, 19/10/05 - 6:51 AM Permalink

Yeah, excellent job man!

My only crit for it is the edges around objects tend to go blue when you're at a distance. I'm imagining this is due to mipmapping? So this should just be in the texture, not the engine or anything.

I also found I was driving too fast for my own good, once I realised how to drive slow but faster than the competition I had got the hang of it.

Submitted by nealb4me on Wed, 19/10/05 - 6:57 AM Permalink

Excellent stuff, I think your specular bloom effect is much nicer than that seen in Toca Race Driver 2. I'm in Adelaide too ;) (and no...I'm not coming on to you, I'm not that sort of guy :P) Keep going.

Submitted by megaderek on Wed, 19/10/05 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Hi all thanks for the positive feedback.

I guess I should get around to fixing the alpha blending issues around the edges of trees, fences and powerlines. I just haven't gotten around to setting up the alpha sorting on that track yet as its just a placeholder at the moment. My highest priority at the moment is to finish the AI.

J.I. Styles - at the moment I've decided to keep to a minimum spec of pixel shader 1.1 so it still runs nice on geforce3 cards. So at the moment I've stretched that to the limit with my car rendering and couldn't do motogp style hemispheric unless I sacrifice one of my other effects or do a second pass to achieve it, only the lower spec cards would need the extra pass and I don't want those cards to be penalized as they are already lower in performance. I might enable some fancier lighting that ps 2.0 and above cards can take advantage of but I'll leave that for a low priority for now.

Souri - The track was modelled by a bunch of guys that made add-on tracks for Sports Car GT and F1 2002, they go by the name Team ORSM. The car was made for my game by a guy called Darryl Mills. We are currently working on more cars.

Submitted by brataccas on Sat, 05/11/05 - 2:01 PM Permalink

This game is awesome i cant stop playing it, I have loads of funny pics of crashes hehe. The AI is mad! i managed to get a piggy back ride on top of another car and I was up there for about a minute! great job to whoever made this demo. I found it on the latest PC gamer disc [:)]