Skip to main content

sumea challange 2# model start

lets hope this works

well this is the first stage to my model for the challenge,
i have been very busy and it seems that it wont be textured in time.
so i will spend the next day optimising unwanted polys (i love the new max 5 tools!) and working out my smoothing groups some comments would be welcome.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 17/03/03 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Uhm.. if you're posting pics in your journal, make sure you have a thumbnail for the pic.. thumbnails should be under 3k, and your picture should have the same name as the thumbnail but with an L before the .jpg .. all the instructions are in the admin section. (at the moment you just have the picture which is 20k's big showing up as a thumbnail - click on the thumbnail and there's no picture)..
Also your avatar picture for your journal should 100x100pixels in size and under 10k.. if it's over 10k, then it'll get truncated - which it has with your current avatar..

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:24 PM Permalink

nicely detail image_
good luck with it cause it looks like itll need about 7000 polys do detail correctly. Improvise!

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:33 PM Permalink

most of the game models i have made in the past have been very low,
my first game was using a wild tangent engine so our characters were about 800 polys.
the second game engine that was used was written virtually from scratch by lava monk (nice job mate!!)
the characters were about a thousand five hundred, and it was hard to fill the count.
so im used to keeping my count inexpensive, but yes there are a lot of fiddly bits im reconsidering.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

Easy to do in 3000 if you use the mesh effectively, most of the detail could be done with textures including the spikes on the antennae which could be one plane with alpha mapping.

Interesting art style too Shiptu.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Tue, 01/04/03 - 1:48 PM Permalink

well this is the first three stages of my model
im still tweeking the polys and have not begun the smoothing groups,
some comments would be very much appreciated

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

ok first of all just a nitpick but why edit your first post with the update, just continue the thread.

Secondly Im sorry to tell you but that model isnt 2248 triangle polygons, its quads mainly so youre looking at around 4500 tris so you blew your limit.

Apart from that its getting close to the concept althought the legs aren't really very close.

Optimize what you can to get the polycount down, especially the feet and weapons, the mesh doesnt need to be contigious either which should help. Good luck.

lets hope this works

well this is the first stage to my model for the challenge,
i have been very busy and it seems that it wont be textured in time.
so i will spend the next day optimising unwanted polys (i love the new max 5 tools!) and working out my smoothing groups some comments would be welcome.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 17/03/03 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Uhm.. if you're posting pics in your journal, make sure you have a thumbnail for the pic.. thumbnails should be under 3k, and your picture should have the same name as the thumbnail but with an L before the .jpg .. all the instructions are in the admin section. (at the moment you just have the picture which is 20k's big showing up as a thumbnail - click on the thumbnail and there's no picture)..
Also your avatar picture for your journal should 100x100pixels in size and under 10k.. if it's over 10k, then it'll get truncated - which it has with your current avatar..

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:24 PM Permalink

nicely detail image_
good luck with it cause it looks like itll need about 7000 polys do detail correctly. Improvise!

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:33 PM Permalink

most of the game models i have made in the past have been very low,
my first game was using a wild tangent engine so our characters were about 800 polys.
the second game engine that was used was written virtually from scratch by lava monk (nice job mate!!)
the characters were about a thousand five hundred, and it was hard to fill the count.
so im used to keeping my count inexpensive, but yes there are a lot of fiddly bits im reconsidering.

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:12 AM Permalink

Easy to do in 3000 if you use the mesh effectively, most of the detail could be done with textures including the spikes on the antennae which could be one plane with alpha mapping.

Interesting art style too Shiptu.

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Tue, 01/04/03 - 1:48 PM Permalink

well this is the first three stages of my model
im still tweeking the polys and have not begun the smoothing groups,
some comments would be very much appreciated

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

ok first of all just a nitpick but why edit your first post with the update, just continue the thread.

Secondly Im sorry to tell you but that model isnt 2248 triangle polygons, its quads mainly so youre looking at around 4500 tris so you blew your limit.

Apart from that its getting close to the concept althought the legs aren't really very close.

Optimize what you can to get the polycount down, especially the feet and weapons, the mesh doesnt need to be contigious either which should help. Good luck.