Skip to main content

Sci-Fi character concepts

Submitted by LeeSmith on

I haven't posted anything here for a long time, so I thought I might put up a couple of recent pieces. These are some character concepts for a project I'm working on...

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/pilot_male.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/engineer_female.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 17/04/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

woooah those are NICE, love the snakey plug socket arm on the female engineer, also the male symbol on the pilots forhead .. question tho - no female symbol on the chick, and her neck looks a tad long.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/04/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

like the robotics on the female character, and the symbols and jewel looking things on both are pretty cool.
no real crits :)

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 18/04/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

Sweet.
I love the guy's costume/drapery. Not so big on the whole "female sci-fi swimsuit" thing, but thats just me.

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 18/04/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

That's nice, nice to see the scrawny little female gets a bis ass gun, and the masculine male gets a pistol :D

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 20/04/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

Tidy Work! I really like the detail on both of their heads.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 23/04/04 - 11:06 PM Permalink

I don't know the brief you're working to or the overall artistic theme, but I like the first pic. Especially the twist on what appears to be a militaristic uniform. The red stripes had me thinking of a formal naval officer. Never really been a fan of headsets coming around the mouth. It's almost a sci fi cliche. BTW - do those 'plugs' light up?

The female looks like a mix of Voldo and Ivy's costumes from Soul Calibur. The technical excellence of the pic cannot be doubted, but the design (to me) just doesn't appeal at all. It's a bit too 'game-cliche' for me. Showing skill, cybernetics, militaristic arm - it's what I expected to see. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

I've just seen the small text under each pic, just now - and I can see that the female is an engineer. Okay, that puts a twist on things. But how about instead of cybernetics, perhaps having some form of opaque plastic (kinda like a prototype?) for the limbs? A female engineer could be a geeky chic(k) surrounded by lots of gadgets? Again, technically superb, but I feel it's the route most commonly travelled. I like the glyphs and the 'markings' that appear to tie into some sort of physical acceleration.

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 26/04/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Can we see some more?

Posted by LeeSmith on

I haven't posted anything here for a long time, so I thought I might put up a couple of recent pieces. These are some character concepts for a project I'm working on...

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/pilot_male.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/engineer_female.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 17/04/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

woooah those are NICE, love the snakey plug socket arm on the female engineer, also the male symbol on the pilots forhead .. question tho - no female symbol on the chick, and her neck looks a tad long.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 18/04/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

like the robotics on the female character, and the symbols and jewel looking things on both are pretty cool.
no real crits :)

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 18/04/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

Sweet.
I love the guy's costume/drapery. Not so big on the whole "female sci-fi swimsuit" thing, but thats just me.

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 18/04/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

That's nice, nice to see the scrawny little female gets a bis ass gun, and the masculine male gets a pistol :D

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 20/04/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

Tidy Work! I really like the detail on both of their heads.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 23/04/04 - 11:06 PM Permalink

I don't know the brief you're working to or the overall artistic theme, but I like the first pic. Especially the twist on what appears to be a militaristic uniform. The red stripes had me thinking of a formal naval officer. Never really been a fan of headsets coming around the mouth. It's almost a sci fi cliche. BTW - do those 'plugs' light up?

The female looks like a mix of Voldo and Ivy's costumes from Soul Calibur. The technical excellence of the pic cannot be doubted, but the design (to me) just doesn't appeal at all. It's a bit too 'game-cliche' for me. Showing skill, cybernetics, militaristic arm - it's what I expected to see. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

I've just seen the small text under each pic, just now - and I can see that the female is an engineer. Okay, that puts a twist on things. But how about instead of cybernetics, perhaps having some form of opaque plastic (kinda like a prototype?) for the limbs? A female engineer could be a geeky chic(k) surrounded by lots of gadgets? Again, technically superb, but I feel it's the route most commonly travelled. I like the glyphs and the 'markings' that appear to tie into some sort of physical acceleration.

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 26/04/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Can we see some more?