Skip to main content

My Drawing

Submitted by codyalday on

This is a drawing i dont a couple of nights ago, could you guys and gals tell me what i should do to make it more better, and even, i know the arms should be a bit longer, and the feet aswell. So any tips and crits please. Thankaz in advanced.

you must copy the link in the url bar, always goes to the sumea site again.

http://www.freewebs.com/actionquake2maps/images/drawing1.jpg

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Instead of pointing out things on your drawing, I'd like to give you some more general bits of advice I hope help you

First bit of advice I'd like to give you, is start looking at things - study things, gather referance material of photos, drawings, other pieces of art, videos etc on your subject matter. For this, it's people, and you've got the best damn piece of referance if you just look down, or go look in a mirror [:)]

Next thing I'd reccommend is learning a few basic proportions rules - simple stuff like shoulders are around 3 heads wide apart, pupils should be around in line with the vertical position of the corners of the mouth, etc etc.

go look at some photos and in the mirror and study them - compare it to your drawings and apply what you learn in them. Can your thumb bend into the position you've drawn? Yes/No? what can it do? Is the outline of your face a single sweeping arc? Where is the cheekbones curve? What's it in relation to? Ask yourself these questions and apply it all in what you draw [:)]

Keep it up!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

Im with J.I. Styles on the proportion thing, perhaps you could ask your art teacher or something to teach you little things like how big certain parts are in relation to others and such. You might even find some proportion tips on the net but its allways good to have someone you can actually talk to.

Really styles has covered what needs to be said :P though i might add when doing something like drawing a hand just hold up your own hand and have a look, if you need poses ask a friend of family for help or use a mirror :)

Dont stop drawing :D

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 22/02/04 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Aight, thankaz for that guys and gals, ill study a bit harder on proportion and so forth, so thankaz again.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 22/02/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

The legs are looking pretty good, but the arms need just a little work. They feel a little rubbery as they don't change thickness very much. Remember that Cloud's Buster Sword is a big arsed piece of metal. Don't be afraid to give him the muscle structure he deserves :)

Another thing you may want to have a look at with your drawing, is your use of lines. All of your lines are very smooth and curved. You may want to try adding in some more pointy and straight lines. This will help to add some variation to your work.

Something that helped me out when I was re-learning to draw in college, was just to draw one part of the human body. Get a sketch book, and just start drawing hands. From muscle structure, to bones, to outlines, to completely shaded pieces. This will really help you to get the base knowledge of anatomy down, as you are only concentrating on one part at a time. Also, if you have reference for it, do as much life drawing as possible. It really helps.

Good luck, and I hope that you keep on posting new pics as you draw them. It will be a great way to keep track of you personal progress :)

Posted by codyalday on

This is a drawing i dont a couple of nights ago, could you guys and gals tell me what i should do to make it more better, and even, i know the arms should be a bit longer, and the feet aswell. So any tips and crits please. Thankaz in advanced.

you must copy the link in the url bar, always goes to the sumea site again.

http://www.freewebs.com/actionquake2maps/images/drawing1.jpg

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Instead of pointing out things on your drawing, I'd like to give you some more general bits of advice I hope help you

First bit of advice I'd like to give you, is start looking at things - study things, gather referance material of photos, drawings, other pieces of art, videos etc on your subject matter. For this, it's people, and you've got the best damn piece of referance if you just look down, or go look in a mirror [:)]

Next thing I'd reccommend is learning a few basic proportions rules - simple stuff like shoulders are around 3 heads wide apart, pupils should be around in line with the vertical position of the corners of the mouth, etc etc.

go look at some photos and in the mirror and study them - compare it to your drawings and apply what you learn in them. Can your thumb bend into the position you've drawn? Yes/No? what can it do? Is the outline of your face a single sweeping arc? Where is the cheekbones curve? What's it in relation to? Ask yourself these questions and apply it all in what you draw [:)]

Keep it up!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

Im with J.I. Styles on the proportion thing, perhaps you could ask your art teacher or something to teach you little things like how big certain parts are in relation to others and such. You might even find some proportion tips on the net but its allways good to have someone you can actually talk to.

Really styles has covered what needs to be said :P though i might add when doing something like drawing a hand just hold up your own hand and have a look, if you need poses ask a friend of family for help or use a mirror :)

Dont stop drawing :D

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 22/02/04 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Aight, thankaz for that guys and gals, ill study a bit harder on proportion and so forth, so thankaz again.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 22/02/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

The legs are looking pretty good, but the arms need just a little work. They feel a little rubbery as they don't change thickness very much. Remember that Cloud's Buster Sword is a big arsed piece of metal. Don't be afraid to give him the muscle structure he deserves :)

Another thing you may want to have a look at with your drawing, is your use of lines. All of your lines are very smooth and curved. You may want to try adding in some more pointy and straight lines. This will help to add some variation to your work.

Something that helped me out when I was re-learning to draw in college, was just to draw one part of the human body. Get a sketch book, and just start drawing hands. From muscle structure, to bones, to outlines, to completely shaded pieces. This will really help you to get the base knowledge of anatomy down, as you are only concentrating on one part at a time. Also, if you have reference for it, do as much life drawing as possible. It really helps.

Good luck, and I hope that you keep on posting new pics as you draw them. It will be a great way to keep track of you personal progress :)