Skip to main content

Ninja concepts plus the End of the world!!!

Submitted by weather on
Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 21/09/04 - 5:16 PM Permalink

Very nice, the first two are very Frank Miller 'Sin City'-esk, which is a good thing. The secoond two are quite breath taking in scope. Great stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 21/09/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

i love it, seriously both types of pictures are fantastic, my fave would be the pinky orange tinted apocalypse peice though.

The figures actually remind me of chaos marines from the warhammer 40k tabletop game, their weapons do not though

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 21/09/04 - 6:37 PM Permalink

SHHHIIIITT!!, HOLY CRAP, those are nice. I luv the ninja, how did you get that effect, was it all done with brushes?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 21/09/04 - 7:40 PM Permalink

Beautiful work. [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 22/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

all looks very good. the two painting must have taken quite a few hour to do! I particually like the grey 'dead' look to the last one.

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 22/09/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

Great work, outsanding I have to say. I like all of them, keep it up.

Submitted by Kuldaen on Wed, 22/09/04 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Wow, I love all of these. I really like the last one the most though. Hope to see more.

Submitted by GoLDeN on Thu, 23/09/04 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Brilliant work, I love the style of the weapon and the characters head in the front, great. His pose reminds me a little of a sandman, I imagine you do this for work fulltime?

Submitted by matias on Sat, 25/09/04 - 9:14 AM Permalink

Awesome work, with the ninja's you've really captured the brush and ink style fantasticly! I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stuff! The grey one makes me want to dust off fallout!!! I have to say, I always love the addition of people in landscapes, makes them feel more... real. If that makes sense, especially in this one, I can almost hear the echos of their lonely conversation!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 25/09/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

The end of the world pieces, are fantastic pieces of art. You have managed to convey the theme so powerfully - like Pantmonger mentioned the scope is fantastic. This is the kind of art that that a person could actually sit down, stare at, and write a story too.

Well done Gerhard [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 29/09/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

That is some of the best locally made digital painting work I've seen. Fantastic and inspiring work [:)]

Submitted by doyle on Thu, 30/09/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

!!! man they a GREAT i wish i could paint like that !!! can you tell us abit about how you created them !!!

GREAT WORK !

Submitted by denz on Thu, 30/09/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Fantastic work :D

Submitted by cwans art on Thu, 07/10/04 - 4:55 AM Permalink

AWESOME WORK !!!
Hey have you ever considered looking at the artist that did Metal Gear Solid 'paintings'? 'Coz thats what your style reminds me of (the first two).

The last two just blew me away. So much details in so little time!!

Submitted by weather on Fri, 08/10/04 - 7:28 PM Permalink

Thanks all,
The first two images were fairly quick studies, about 2-3 hours each. While thw landscapes were a bucket of work. The grey scale took about 3 full days while the amber image was an epic; it took 5 days.
Lots of work in each of them
Doyle:The trick with heaps of detail, is really heap of texture. You have to attack the canvas with texture, photoshop brushes are great for this when you start to play with all the possible brush variants. You have to cover the entire canvas with paint, before you can get into detail.
I start with a simple line drawing to work out the basic composition.
Then I paint in the canvas with texture, using the line drawing as a basic guide.
Then when the canvas is covered paint, I start with the sky or background, as this will give you the mood of the picture.
The work towards the foreground.
The last thing is to paint the characters.
Then refine and refine
I guess the most important thing is to be deterimined to finish the image, cause in the begining they all look shit, but you have to persist.
Cheers

Submitted by groovyone on Mon, 11/10/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

I'd like to see a game done in B&W with these sort of graphics. a ninja game in comic style animation. It would be something new!

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Oooh, and the whole game could be B&W except for the red blood, that'd be stylish, great idea.

Submitted by Alti on Wed, 13/10/04 - 12:31 PM Permalink

hey awsome work righ there. do you post over at conceptart.org ?

Submitted by arcane on Mon, 18/10/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

I'm just adding myself to the list of people in awe over these great drawings!

groovyone / Wizenedoldman: I really like that idea! I'm (very slowly) working on a Mortal Kombat-inspired game, and I think that style would fit right in. I've been playing with shaders over the past few days trying to reproduce that effect, with no luck as of yet. Would be truly awesome to have in a game, though!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/10/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

i think theres this game being made to look like a living old japanese ink painting thing. You know the ones you see on scrolls with characters down the side and a man fishing in the middle. The game itself sounds like a cross between zelda and black and white (interesting i know), because your a god (who's physically a dog...) who does adventuring and does the whole gathering beleif and power aswell.
Cant remember the name for the life of me, anyone?

Posted by weather on

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 21/09/04 - 5:16 PM Permalink

Very nice, the first two are very Frank Miller 'Sin City'-esk, which is a good thing. The secoond two are quite breath taking in scope. Great stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 21/09/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

i love it, seriously both types of pictures are fantastic, my fave would be the pinky orange tinted apocalypse peice though.

The figures actually remind me of chaos marines from the warhammer 40k tabletop game, their weapons do not though

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 21/09/04 - 6:37 PM Permalink

SHHHIIIITT!!, HOLY CRAP, those are nice. I luv the ninja, how did you get that effect, was it all done with brushes?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 21/09/04 - 7:40 PM Permalink

Beautiful work. [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 22/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

all looks very good. the two painting must have taken quite a few hour to do! I particually like the grey 'dead' look to the last one.

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 22/09/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

Great work, outsanding I have to say. I like all of them, keep it up.

Submitted by Kuldaen on Wed, 22/09/04 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Wow, I love all of these. I really like the last one the most though. Hope to see more.

Submitted by GoLDeN on Thu, 23/09/04 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Brilliant work, I love the style of the weapon and the characters head in the front, great. His pose reminds me a little of a sandman, I imagine you do this for work fulltime?

Submitted by matias on Sat, 25/09/04 - 9:14 AM Permalink

Awesome work, with the ninja's you've really captured the brush and ink style fantasticly! I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stuff! The grey one makes me want to dust off fallout!!! I have to say, I always love the addition of people in landscapes, makes them feel more... real. If that makes sense, especially in this one, I can almost hear the echos of their lonely conversation!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 25/09/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

The end of the world pieces, are fantastic pieces of art. You have managed to convey the theme so powerfully - like Pantmonger mentioned the scope is fantastic. This is the kind of art that that a person could actually sit down, stare at, and write a story too.

Well done Gerhard [:)]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 29/09/04 - 6:33 AM Permalink

That is some of the best locally made digital painting work I've seen. Fantastic and inspiring work [:)]

Submitted by doyle on Thu, 30/09/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

!!! man they a GREAT i wish i could paint like that !!! can you tell us abit about how you created them !!!

GREAT WORK !

Submitted by denz on Thu, 30/09/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Fantastic work :D

Submitted by cwans art on Thu, 07/10/04 - 4:55 AM Permalink

AWESOME WORK !!!
Hey have you ever considered looking at the artist that did Metal Gear Solid 'paintings'? 'Coz thats what your style reminds me of (the first two).

The last two just blew me away. So much details in so little time!!

Submitted by weather on Fri, 08/10/04 - 7:28 PM Permalink

Thanks all,
The first two images were fairly quick studies, about 2-3 hours each. While thw landscapes were a bucket of work. The grey scale took about 3 full days while the amber image was an epic; it took 5 days.
Lots of work in each of them
Doyle:The trick with heaps of detail, is really heap of texture. You have to attack the canvas with texture, photoshop brushes are great for this when you start to play with all the possible brush variants. You have to cover the entire canvas with paint, before you can get into detail.
I start with a simple line drawing to work out the basic composition.
Then I paint in the canvas with texture, using the line drawing as a basic guide.
Then when the canvas is covered paint, I start with the sky or background, as this will give you the mood of the picture.
The work towards the foreground.
The last thing is to paint the characters.
Then refine and refine
I guess the most important thing is to be deterimined to finish the image, cause in the begining they all look shit, but you have to persist.
Cheers

Submitted by groovyone on Mon, 11/10/04 - 10:48 AM Permalink

I'd like to see a game done in B&W with these sort of graphics. a ninja game in comic style animation. It would be something new!

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Oooh, and the whole game could be B&W except for the red blood, that'd be stylish, great idea.

Submitted by Alti on Wed, 13/10/04 - 12:31 PM Permalink

hey awsome work righ there. do you post over at conceptart.org ?

Submitted by arcane on Mon, 18/10/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

I'm just adding myself to the list of people in awe over these great drawings!

groovyone / Wizenedoldman: I really like that idea! I'm (very slowly) working on a Mortal Kombat-inspired game, and I think that style would fit right in. I've been playing with shaders over the past few days trying to reproduce that effect, with no luck as of yet. Would be truly awesome to have in a game, though!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/10/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

i think theres this game being made to look like a living old japanese ink painting thing. You know the ones you see on scrolls with characters down the side and a man fishing in the middle. The game itself sounds like a cross between zelda and black and white (interesting i know), because your a god (who's physically a dog...) who does adventuring and does the whole gathering beleif and power aswell.
Cant remember the name for the life of me, anyone?