Skip to main content

Marine girl

Submitted by Caroo on

This pic im considering to put into my AIE application folio for 2006. I'm cerrently 18 and in year 12. My goal for this year is to make a impressive folio to get myself into the AIE campus melbourne. I mostly do 2D art but my resores to 3D programs are somewhat limited so for the moment 2D art is the focus. i can get good at 3D when i study at the AIE.... if i get in O.o

I was thinking of doing 6 posters to show.
1 of a sci fi game idea
1 of a fantasy game idea
1 of a modern setting game idea
1 of a furry game idea
1 of a romantic/tender pic (i include this becouse i find a fault of many male artists that they kinda go "...a pic without guns...noooooo!!!"
1 technical drawing game idea (robots)

this would proably go under the sci-fi section.^^ enjoy

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/caroo/2005120231419_marinecolfin…"]marinecolfin.jpg[/url]
88.98 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 22/01/05 - 6:54 AM Permalink

sounds like a good enough way of building a portfolio, seems to cover a lot of bases anyway. in relation to what you have posted, its not bad but id say that you should really improve your anatomy, use this site http://www.saveloomis.org/ (this is a good forum http://www.tsofa.com/forum/index.php) or any anatomy book you find in a new or 2nd hand bookstore is good too. just keep practicing over and over, until you get a feel for proportions and the like, anatomy is a critical part of both 2d and 3d work.
one other point is what do you mean when you say you want to paint posters of the game? a good way would be to develop a backstory then do a big group shot of the characters. an important addition lacking in your current example is a background.
great idea though, im looking forward to seeing how it all progresses

Submitted by Caroo on Sun, 23/01/05 - 9:32 PM Permalink

Nods* all that you said are valid and noted complements and critie. ^^the marine girl is a very generic character and doesnt fit into any of my sotres. (and she loosk too scarcraftish) i DO already have character ideas and storys in and developed so thats covered. Atonmany is always a bitch but i really should grab a atonamy book in the next few months. i shouldnt have pre ordered that nintendo DS O.o

As for back ground and big character compassioion. WELL DAH! (sorry^^) i was tihnking for each poster to have the main cast of characters plus some seane locations and vechiles in the background of the image..that should do nicely...

[in advanse..sorry for my horrable spelling^^]

Submitted by Rizo on Tue, 25/01/05 - 1:23 PM Permalink

Somehow the torso is kind of too long... also i'm not quite sure about the handrails on the shoulders... they don't seem really purpose.
Maybe you should check out the new U.S. Marine uniform.. maybe you can pick some coulors from there to create your coulor palete..
Rizo

Submitted by Taamati on Wed, 02/02/05 - 7:14 AM Permalink

you won't have any problem getting into the AIE

Posted by Caroo on

This pic im considering to put into my AIE application folio for 2006. I'm cerrently 18 and in year 12. My goal for this year is to make a impressive folio to get myself into the AIE campus melbourne. I mostly do 2D art but my resores to 3D programs are somewhat limited so for the moment 2D art is the focus. i can get good at 3D when i study at the AIE.... if i get in O.o

I was thinking of doing 6 posters to show.
1 of a sci fi game idea
1 of a fantasy game idea
1 of a modern setting game idea
1 of a furry game idea
1 of a romantic/tender pic (i include this becouse i find a fault of many male artists that they kinda go "...a pic without guns...noooooo!!!"
1 technical drawing game idea (robots)

this would proably go under the sci-fi section.^^ enjoy

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/caroo/2005120231419_marinecolfin…"]marinecolfin.jpg[/url]
88.98 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 22/01/05 - 6:54 AM Permalink

sounds like a good enough way of building a portfolio, seems to cover a lot of bases anyway. in relation to what you have posted, its not bad but id say that you should really improve your anatomy, use this site http://www.saveloomis.org/ (this is a good forum http://www.tsofa.com/forum/index.php) or any anatomy book you find in a new or 2nd hand bookstore is good too. just keep practicing over and over, until you get a feel for proportions and the like, anatomy is a critical part of both 2d and 3d work.
one other point is what do you mean when you say you want to paint posters of the game? a good way would be to develop a backstory then do a big group shot of the characters. an important addition lacking in your current example is a background.
great idea though, im looking forward to seeing how it all progresses

Submitted by Caroo on Sun, 23/01/05 - 9:32 PM Permalink

Nods* all that you said are valid and noted complements and critie. ^^the marine girl is a very generic character and doesnt fit into any of my sotres. (and she loosk too scarcraftish) i DO already have character ideas and storys in and developed so thats covered. Atonmany is always a bitch but i really should grab a atonamy book in the next few months. i shouldnt have pre ordered that nintendo DS O.o

As for back ground and big character compassioion. WELL DAH! (sorry^^) i was tihnking for each poster to have the main cast of characters plus some seane locations and vechiles in the background of the image..that should do nicely...

[in advanse..sorry for my horrable spelling^^]

Submitted by Rizo on Tue, 25/01/05 - 1:23 PM Permalink

Somehow the torso is kind of too long... also i'm not quite sure about the handrails on the shoulders... they don't seem really purpose.
Maybe you should check out the new U.S. Marine uniform.. maybe you can pick some coulors from there to create your coulor palete..
Rizo

Submitted by Taamati on Wed, 02/02/05 - 7:14 AM Permalink

you won't have any problem getting into the AIE