Skip to main content

Race Concept Illustration [RPG]

Submitted by LeeSmith on

For the last year or so I feel like I have really struggled to find a style that I am comfortable with and can produce efficiently. I am amazed and inspiried every day by the brilliant work of others and unfortunately this has caused me to chop and change styles every time I see a new illustration! Well I think I've gone full circle now and after trying my hand at everything I liked about others work I'm pretty much back to where I have started and come to the conclusion that perhaps this is 'my style', and just because I like others work doesn't mean I should produce similar work.

So with that in mind I present my latest concept illustration and would appreciate opinions and comments on any aspect of the illustration. Should I settle with this as 'the art of Lee Smith' and concentrate on enhancing it? Please give me all your thoughts as I really would like to form a general opinion of my work and the style, thanks.

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/bbrack/d12/mrahk.jpg[/img]
(image ©BBRACK Productions)

Tell me what you think,... please :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

Thats some damn fine concepting there Lee.
As for making that your style well that really has to be a personal choice but I'd feel pretty proud of that work if I was you.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:14 PM Permalink

Very Sweet.

quote:'the art of Lee Smith' and concentrate on enhancing it?

Well thats up to you, I could never stop with one style myself. If I where you I would say keep developing new styles and constantly amalgamate until your own difinitive develops of its own accord.

But that could just be me.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Groady on Fri, 23/05/03 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Very nice work Lee! I think it's important to be able to mimick various styles so don't just lock yourself down on one. From a critical stance the pic is slightly off on it's anatomy (im no genious) but the legs are too long and causing the upper torso to appear a bit short. However it is a cool concept so it's easly overlooked. Keep up the good work! [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 1:16 AM Permalink

Yeh, I agree the anatomy is a little bit off, unless you were going for a styalised approach. Arms and legs are a bit too long, but you can fix it up by lifting her upper body a bit, and give her more neck (I'd have her head and neck tilted back to follow the curved pose you have her in). Nice character design, and I love the pose you have her in. The flowing hair and cape is cool too.

Submitted by pencil head on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

i really like the colors your,ve chosen. it gives it a realy nice feel. but like the others said, the legs seem a bit long.

Submitted by Jorsh on Sun, 08/06/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

I think that the length of the arms and legs suits the character... it makes it more of an athletic

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 13/06/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I know what you mean. I'm still going through that artistic identity crisis you described. Not really sure if I'm just still learning or if I'm searching for that natural style that all great concept artists seem to have.

I think your style is great. Theres a lot of poise and energy there. Aside from the anatomy criticisms, I would say that the only thing lacking is perhaps some attention to describing the nature of the materials. For example, I'm not sure if the armour she is wearing is made from wood or metal.

Aside from that, I looks awesome. I'm very jealous.

Posted by LeeSmith on

For the last year or so I feel like I have really struggled to find a style that I am comfortable with and can produce efficiently. I am amazed and inspiried every day by the brilliant work of others and unfortunately this has caused me to chop and change styles every time I see a new illustration! Well I think I've gone full circle now and after trying my hand at everything I liked about others work I'm pretty much back to where I have started and come to the conclusion that perhaps this is 'my style', and just because I like others work doesn't mean I should produce similar work.

So with that in mind I present my latest concept illustration and would appreciate opinions and comments on any aspect of the illustration. Should I settle with this as 'the art of Lee Smith' and concentrate on enhancing it? Please give me all your thoughts as I really would like to form a general opinion of my work and the style, thanks.

[img]http://www.shawawa.com/bbrack/d12/mrahk.jpg[/img]
(image ©BBRACK Productions)

Tell me what you think,... please :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

Thats some damn fine concepting there Lee.
As for making that your style well that really has to be a personal choice but I'd feel pretty proud of that work if I was you.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:14 PM Permalink

Very Sweet.

quote:'the art of Lee Smith' and concentrate on enhancing it?

Well thats up to you, I could never stop with one style myself. If I where you I would say keep developing new styles and constantly amalgamate until your own difinitive develops of its own accord.

But that could just be me.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Groady on Fri, 23/05/03 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Very nice work Lee! I think it's important to be able to mimick various styles so don't just lock yourself down on one. From a critical stance the pic is slightly off on it's anatomy (im no genious) but the legs are too long and causing the upper torso to appear a bit short. However it is a cool concept so it's easly overlooked. Keep up the good work! [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 1:16 AM Permalink

Yeh, I agree the anatomy is a little bit off, unless you were going for a styalised approach. Arms and legs are a bit too long, but you can fix it up by lifting her upper body a bit, and give her more neck (I'd have her head and neck tilted back to follow the curved pose you have her in). Nice character design, and I love the pose you have her in. The flowing hair and cape is cool too.

Submitted by pencil head on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

i really like the colors your,ve chosen. it gives it a realy nice feel. but like the others said, the legs seem a bit long.

Submitted by Jorsh on Sun, 08/06/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

I think that the length of the arms and legs suits the character... it makes it more of an athletic

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 13/06/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I know what you mean. I'm still going through that artistic identity crisis you described. Not really sure if I'm just still learning or if I'm searching for that natural style that all great concept artists seem to have.

I think your style is great. Theres a lot of poise and energy there. Aside from the anatomy criticisms, I would say that the only thing lacking is perhaps some attention to describing the nature of the materials. For example, I'm not sure if the armour she is wearing is made from wood or metal.

Aside from that, I looks awesome. I'm very jealous.